Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Range Hunting

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Long Range Hunting

Some cool video in this compilation. Some good shots too.

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=bwA3fxWJt8Q
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

It seems like long range shots hit the critters a lot harder than short range shots do, and that just doesn't make sense to me.

Physically impossible. A bullet is slowing down as soon as it leaves the barrel. The most energy a bullet has is at the muzzle. How much it transfers is controlled by bullet construction, nose profile, and what tissue is hit.
    I get the most visible impact from fast moving ballistic tip style bullets. A 115 Ballistic Tio from my 25-06 or a 150 BT out of my 300 WSM really appears to hit deer very hard, while a 165 Partition or Game King from my 308 doesn't give as much visible shock.

I'm sure they meant to shoot that pronghorn in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    It seems like long range shots hit the critters a lot harder than short range shots do, and that just doesn't make sense to me.
    They're shooting a .338 edge with a 300 grain bullet. That heavy high BC bullet has alot of retained energy at long range.

That 453 yard bait pile on that mountain produces lots of bears.

For every shot they post that's a clean kill, I wonder how many end up in the editing trash pile that are crippled or require follow ups.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Still shocks me how many of you think those shots are difficult. With the proper rest and equipment it's a hell of a lot easier than most of you think
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Still shocks me how many of you think those shots are difficult. With the proper rest and equipment it's a hell of a lot easier than most of you think
    My longest was on roadbed does with a .270, the rest was my tree stand. First one doe then about 10 mins later another one walked out further down. Both neck shots which is what I was aiming for. The reason is because I wanted to drop them right there or miss clean. I walked the first one off at 350 yds, the second one was 412 yds. I would love to shoot the distances those guys shoot. But I can't justify spending a bunch of money on a long range setup when the majority of my shots are 100 yds or less. The only place I could find around here to stretch it out would be power lines or gas lines. The road I shot those two on is a private club now.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

My favorite shot this past year was a 315 yard poke at a quartering doe in a cutover. From a climber, using the tree as a rest. I'm as proud of that shot as any other shot I've made. The beauty was hearing the bullet hit, using the suppressor.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I hauled my LR rig to Wyoming and whacked a couple of antelope. My personal feeling it’s barely hunting. More of an assasination. Technology has made longe range shooting easier in the last several years, but it till takes some skill to make consistent first round hits beyond 800 yds. That’s the point where atmospherics really start to affect your projectile. There is some serious wind reading on those cross valley shots. I would like to see the edits as well.

This. I could give zero craps about long range shooting, but I hit a 12” steel plate at 500 yards on the second shot off of a stack of pallets.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I hauled my LR rig to Wyoming and whacked a couple of antelope. My personal feeling it’s barely hunting. More of an assasination. Technology has made longe range shooting easier in the last several years, but it till takes some skill to make consistent first round hits beyond 800 yds. That’s the point where atmospherics really start to affect your projectile. There is some serious wind reading on those cross valley shots. I would like to see the edits as well.
    The most challenging part of the hunt is drawing the tag
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

The fact that the word “hunt” is even used is laughable......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I have a friend that builds his own rifles (USMC armorer in a previous life, now a gunsmith). His family is from N.C. and he hunts up there and his shots average over 1000 yds. He has a shooting bench set up on the neighbor’s property and shoots back to his own. He’ll be the first to tell you there is zero “hunt” involved.

Another friend (no deceased) went with him once. He made the comment that he could never shoot that far and was quickly told that was nonsense, the rifle is dialed in for the distance all you have to do is keep the crosshairs still and on the target through the trigger squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    This guy has been shooting!!! It is an entirely different world after 800 yards. With the right setup anyone can shoot 800 yards out the box, but after 800 will separates the men from the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcry View Post
    This guy has been shooting!!! It is an entirely different world after 800 yards. With the right setup anyone can shoot 800 yards out the box, but after 800 will separates the men from the boys.
    Yeaaaaaaa....... nope. Nice try tho

Yeaaaaaaa....... nope. Nice try tho
    well come on shoot big mouth i got range goes to 1200. lets see what you are holding.

Yea let me just drive from GA to show you something I already know. I got nothing better to do.

I'm interested to know what changes after 800? Let's assume the projectile stays transonic and take that out of the equation. The answer is nothing. Absolutely nothing changes between 800 and 1200. Yes errors in judgment of wind and distance are amplified. Yes any error in atmospheric conditions will be amplified. Any error in dope will be amplified but nothing has changed. These errors still exist from the time the bullet leaves the muzzle until impact no matter what range you're shooting. Simply put shorter range only does a better job of covering up error induced by the shooter or equipment.
    My only other guess would be that you're referring to spin drift or coriolis effect but the latter is a non issue at 1800 yards and the spin drip should be part of your dope so I am still unsure what it you're talking about. Maybe elaborate instead of playing billy bad ass...... that's my job

Griffin just stfu. Nobody gives a shit. You're always trying to be a fucking know it all.