Thread: Need guns appraised

Default Need guns appraised

Need to get a gun collection appraised for insurance purposes. Any suggestions or recommendations for some in Columbia/ lexington area?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I believe SwampRat does appraisals

As long as there isn't anything too crazy in the collection, you can make an excel spreadsheet with year/make/model/serial number/date of purchase/approximate value(what you think it's worth) and turn it into your insurance agent. If you are unsure of a firearm's value, there's a book at the Lexington County Public library that has values for just about every production gun made. You can look up your firearm to get the value and put it in the spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    As long as there isn't anything too crazy in the collection, you can make an excel spreadsheet with year/make/model/serial number/date of purchase/approximate value(what you think it's worth) and turn it into your insurance agent. If you are unsure of a firearm's value, there's a book at the Lexington County Public library that has values for just about every production gun made. You can look up your firearm to get the value and put it in the spreadsheet.
    This is what I did when I got a personal articles policy. Just be sure to keep it updated as you buy and sell.

When I need to figure out what a gun is worth, I look on gunbroker for finished auctions of similar guns. Asking prices mean nothing but closed auctions are about as good an indicator of current market value available. You need to create an account to be able to see closed auctions.

I used to do it, but it turned into a monumental pain in the ass. Snake Jenkins might.

I have a BBOGV account though.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

My issue is the number of NFA items as well as the older firearms.

I barely remember what I bought for lunch Monday, there is no way I know what I paid for a gun and when I bought it.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Get a subscription online to the Blue Book or Standard Catalog of Firearms. Evaluate the gun honestly and log make, model, serial number, condition and book value. Run a spreadsheet with tags by make that can be expanded and filled in. Like this:

C1B19619-7E32-46DF-8A8E-B4D1C2616315.jpg

Then you can easily add and delete as you buy and sell. I sort alphabetically but you could do it by type as well.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

http://www.siai.net/

This company will insure your guns based on the value YOU assign to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Get a subscription online to the Blue Book or Standard Catalog of Firearms. Evaluate the gun honestly and log make, model, serial number, condition and book value. Run a spreadsheet with tags by make that can be expanded and filled in. Like this:

C1B19619-7E32-46DF-8A8E-B4D1C2616315.jpg

Then you can easily add and delete as you buy and sell. I sort alphabetically but you could do it by type as well.
    Just email a copy to me. I will clean it up and put my guns in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    http://www.siai.net/

This company will insure your guns based on the value YOU assign to them.
    Good to know. I need to up my game on this.

To me, the aggravation was getting people to understand the variations in condition, which can be a little subjective to determine. I was always trying to be honest, but err on the side of the client. The number of guns with powder rust from poor storage that I looked at was upsetting. All of this is really useful only for insurance anyway. As for sale value, a gun is worth only what someone will pay you for it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Need to value them at what it would cost to replace them new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk