Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The bullying epidemic

Default The bullying epidemic

Didn't want to derail the other thread so moving this over here.

This is from last week or so. Basically a dad that made his 10 year old kid run to school in the rain after he was kicked off the bus for bullying. Of course it set off a debate about how we should address the bullying epidemic.

Is there really that much more bullying now a days or has the way society perceives it just changed?

I wonder how widespread this bullying "epidemic" really is. No doubt social media has made it worse, but I'm pretty confident that not all cases of "bullying" are really "bullying". That being said, well done to this father. He obviously cares enough to do something in an effort to correct the behavior, instead of just throwing his hands up or ignoring the issue.

All the "experts" were quick to come out and say the dad was being a bully and that you should never humiliate a kid as punishment. It's not for me to say. He knows his kids better than I do and he knows what works. And at the end of the day even if he isn't doing it right all the time (not that any of us are), that kid is a lot better off than all the kids that are being raised by single moms and that don't have a male figure in their life teaching them what it means to be a man.

And I agree on the "bullying epidemic" That title should have been in quotes. Bullying has always existed. One difference is that we used to teach kids how to deal with it and stop it. But now we don't let little boys be boys and we have people that cry out about a parent being too hard on a kid when they punish their kids.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 03-23-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Bullying has not changed, kids are assholes BUT, the accepted response to bullying has.

What used to be a meeting at high noon (recess) on the playground is now counseling with the school therapist, moms posting on facebook and parents meetings with principal. It is everything EXCEPT the kids dealing with it. If god forbid the kids do deal with it themselves, they are the ones punished.

My 10 year old has an asshole classmate that causes trouble all the time. He will hit my son in the nuts and run. Well, on the bus to After School care, they go to the same place, this kid will sneak up behind his seat and reach around and punch him and laugh.

My son got in trouble for it and of course the other kid didnt. Here is how daddy dealt with it.

in a meeting with the director i said "Son, if you ever start a fight i will beat your ass until you cant sit for a week. BUT if that little son of a bitch hits you in the nuts one more time I want you to hit him in the nose as hard as you can and then get on top of him and beat him until a teacher pulls you off. "

"Sir, we dont allow that kind of behavior, your son will be expelled."

"Then I will do that to you."

Guess what happened.

kid got his ass kicked and son is still there.

Kid dont hit him in the nuts anymore either.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Even a swirlie can't improve some people...

It's not an epidemic. Our world is broadcasted tons of information by the minute. All of this has always existed, it just now exists on every social media forum, news site, etc for us to view on a regular basis. Now that it's in your face, a blind eye can not be turned.
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

I remember once I was playing travel ball in about 6-7th grade I started pitching and lasted about 2 innings. They were teeing off on me. I got pulled and moved to the outfield, where I proceeded to throw my glove against the fence about 5 times, acted like a complete idiot. When I got home I got my ass beat and then had to run in our pines until my Dad "got tired of watching me run." It was hot af and im pretty sure I threw up but I know for a fact I never acted a fool on the baseball field or in front of my parents again.

My parents used to whip my ass with one of dads belts. My grandma was so gangster that she made me go outside and pick my own switch off the dogwood tree in the backyard when I messed up. If the switch I brought back wasn't to her standards, she went out and got a suitable one....the whipping was amplified if she had to go get it. #scnative

I don't know much about the family leniage on my dads side of the family but my moms side of the family has fought in both wars of independence representing sc. let's just say we know how to raise chillins.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 03-23-2018 at 08:22 AM.

old school discipline worked- it is still applied in my household- the grandkids all know what it is and are better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    It's not an epidemic. Our world is broadcasted tons of information by the minute. All of this has always existed, it just now exists on every social media forum, news site, etc for us to view on a regular basis. Now that it's in your face, a blind eye can not be turned.
    Because all of the nerds are on Facebook and Twitter now
    Last edited by MDman; 03-23-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

It's nature. "Bullying" occurs in every species. We used to teach the weaker kid to stand up for themselves but not anymore. When I came up the bullies were usually the older kids that got held back etc. I've had my ass kicked by em a few times. Had one that whipped my ass on the reg until one day I got crying mad. I tried to kill him. We never had a problem after that.

I watched my nephew whip up on my son for several years until two years ago. I kept telling my nephew who is two years older, one day big boy. Well on a Sunday afternoon as I was dozing in the chair I heard all hell break loose. My SIL was screaming & when I went outside, my spawn had him down & was landing haymakers on that noggin. They haven't physically fought since. I don't think it ruined me or my son by getting bullied. I think it taught us you win some, you lose some, but the pain fades quickly if you stand up for yourself.

There is getting fucked with...and then there is being bullied. I don’t think a lot of people know the difference between the two anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Bullying has not changed, kids are assholes BUT, the accepted response to bullying has.

What used to be a meeting at high noon (recess) on the playground is now counseling with the school therapist, moms posting on facebook and parents meetings with principal. It is everything EXCEPT the kids dealing with it. If god forbid the kids do deal with it themselves, they are the ones punished.

My 10 year old has an asshole classmate that causes trouble all the time. He will hit my son in the nuts and run. Well, on the bus to After School care, they go to the same place, this kid will sneak up behind his seat and reach around and punch him and laugh.

My son got in trouble for it and of course the other kid didnt. Here is how daddy dealt with it.

in a meeting with the director i said "Son, if you ever start a fight i will beat your ass until you cant sit for a week. BUT if that little son of a bitch hits you in the nuts one more time I want you to hit him in the nose as hard as you can and then get on top of him and beat him until a teacher pulls you off. "

"Sir, we dont allow that kind of behavior, your son will be expelled."

"Then I will do that to you."

Guess what happened.

kid got his ass kicked and son is still there.

Kid dont hit him in the nuts anymore either.
    Same message at my house.

He's too young to get it yet. But we've had a stray dog take up around the house. Two intact males trying to decide who is the dominant. It's been a good teachable moment for both of us.

My dog is the bigger and more dominant dog of the two. But I got onto him for them starting to growl at each other with my kids in between them. After that my dog started backing off when the other one growled and come over to me to show he wasn't doing anything. The other dog figured it out quick and started walking up to him and growling. I stepped back and let them have some time to work it out and everything has settled down now. I didn't see it, but there was probably a recess showdown that happened at some point, because the malinois is back to the dominant dog and I don't hear anymore growling. Our teachers and administrators inadvertently do the same thing in the schools.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 03-23-2018 at 08:59 AM.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    There is getting fucked with...and then there is being bullied. I don’t think a lot of people know the difference between the two anymore.
    True. Some people can't take being messed with but are usually the ones who love to give others shit.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    In your opinion, what's the difference between the two?
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 03-23-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    True. Some people can't take being messed with but are usually the ones who love to give others shit.
    Yup. We have a 31 one year old kid in the FD me. New to the Air Force and the Fire department. Were not allowed to joke or pick on him anymore, because we are mean to him. He sure loves to dish it out though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    Yup. We have a 31 one year old kid in the FD me. New to the Air Force and the Fire department. Were not allowed to joke or pick on him anymore, because we are mean to him. He sure loves to dish it out though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Fuuuuuck that shit. No one involved in that mess would’ve survived a submarine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Fuuuuuck that shit. No one involved in that mess would’ve survived a submarine.
    The wouldn't have made it past the maneuvering watch.