Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The bullying epidemic

"Son I dont care what the principal said, the next time he puts his hands on you, jump on him and beat his ass until somebody pulls you off. We'll go hunting while you're suspended"

Shame on the dad for videoing it and posting it to social media. I have no problem with the form of discipline but the dad is part of the cultural problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    In your opinion, what's the difference between the two?
    Are you looking for someone to help you form an opinion on the topic?

I was abused by high school kids as early as elementary school. My dad was the high school football coach and a lot of those dickheads took a shot at me at one point or another. I dealt with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Fuuuuuck that shit. No one involved in that mess would’ve survived a submarine.
    He once called a full bird Colonel because we want doing things the way he thought they should be done. Freaking idiot. This was after he lied to us about being drafted first round in the MLB to the redsoxs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Are you looking for someone to help you form an opinion on the topic?

I was abused by high school kids as early as elementary school. My dad was the high school football coach and a lot of those dickheads took a shot at me at one point or another. I dealt with it.
    No, I have my own opinion. Just thought I'd hear someone else's. That's what this place is for isn't it?

I would say that f****** with would be more along the lines of friendly kidding/ribbing or a kid doing something stupid and everyone sharing a laugh at it.

Bullying would be singling one out and relentlessly tormenting them and making them miserable.
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 03-23-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I just about threw up when I was told that drill instructors were not allowed to curse at recruits at basic training. I think it is the sign of the times. I certainly cannot put as much pressure on my son as I received from my father and I did not receive a lot of pressure by any means. Knob year at The Citadel was no pleasure cruise but there were definately upperclassmen that use that opportunity to release their frustration on knobs. To be clear there was pressure from instruction from upperclassmen then there were upperclassmen who were bullies. One made me a better person/cadet the others just confirmed my understanding of assholes.

Having said that, one of my classmates hung himself from the steampipes his sophomore year. Go figure. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

What ever happened to "sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never heart me"?

Seems like the coping mechanism these days is to pick up your AR-15 and go to town.

can't we all just get a safe zone?

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    He once called a full bird Colonel because we want doing things the way he thought they should be done. Freaking idiot. This was after he lied to us about being drafted first round in the MLB to the redsoxs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    And he’s still alive????
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    The wouldn't have made it past the maneuvering watch.
    It’s a crying shame how our military has caved to all this BS too. Training a bunch of whiny ass pussies!! You got it when you were the newbie, and you gave it when you paid your dues. Ain’t like that anymore.

Bullying is nothing new, nor is the effects it has on people changed much over the past generations to now. There is ample research supporting that. The difference is that social media has given an anonymous platform for it hence the increase in prevalence. I would be willing to bet many people on this forum were bullied and it had effect, there is quite a difference generationally on talking how it impacted the individual.

I went to a private school with a small tightknit community where luckily it was not widespread, so I don't pretend to tell another that bullying did not grave psychological implications going forward when I didn't share the same experience. But I see it second hand often in clinic.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

I have two boys fixing to be 13 and 14. As some on here may have seen my youngest dwarfs the oldest in size. We've never had any issues with bullying as of yet but both of them know that its not something they will- 1) put up with toward each other and 2) put up with if they are seeing it happen to anyone else. My boys have their flaws and will be boys I know when given the chance but I have made it very clear to them that if at all possible don't go the fight option unless that's what it takes and they dang sure better take up for anyone they see getting bullied. A bully continues to be a bully because kids or adults continue to let them. I think there are just way to many kids\adults these days that aren't taught to stand up for wrong whether its against them or anyone else. Turning the other cheek doesn't mean turning away from the problem. It means solving the problem with as much couth as possible. I'm sure there are way to many kids that don't even know what couth means! And for crying out loud don't post every life event you have on social media. That opens up Pandora's Box for sure!
    Last edited by colej; 03-23-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: grammer
    GENESIS 1 : 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Dawhoo....I don't see how all this bullying is the cause of all these kids psychological issues. I mean look at you...you got swirlys daily at the citadel and you turned out just fine!

In my opinion, the greatest lineman ever, during his Canton speech. Just watch from 1:40 to about 2:15. It's worth your 35 seconds...

1st day.. I lost
    2nd day.. I lost
    3rd day.. I finally won

Damn straight!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    The wouldn't have made it past the maneuvering watch.
    Is that something like a head gate for cows? They couldn’t run too far on a submarine could they?

I will say that one thing that has changed since we were kids (those of us that are not kids now) are the ways kids are bullied. When we were kids, once you got off the bus, any bullying or trouble was over, at least until the next morning. With 100% 24 connectivity, it is never ending. They cant turn it off. Some of the things I have seen said about and to kids on social media will break your heart. Just like here, the air of anonymity brings out some of the worst comments. Something about sitting at a keyboard or on a phone keypad makes people think they can say anything.

My kids dont have phones and wont have smartphones anytime soon. They are not "online" at all. My 6th grader said that he needs social media because your coolness is judged by your social media profile. I laughed and said I guess you wont be cool then.

It really is unrelenting online. The only defense is avoid it and keep them from it.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Is that something like a head gate for cows? They couldn’t run too far on a submarine could they?

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    My kids dont have phones and wont have smartphones anytime soon. They are not "online" at all. My 6th grader said that he needs social media because your coolness is judged by your social media profile. I laughed and said I guess you wont be cool then.
    Good daddy. I told my son when he was about 12 or 13, "I'm not your friend, I'm your daddy. One day when you are older we will be friends, but right now my job is to be your daddy and I'm going to do my job". Too may parents want to be their kid's friend. It doesn't have much to do with bullying, but it has a lot to do with how they will turn out. And oh, I told my son, in front of one of his teachers, that if he didn't deal with the class bully screwing with him, he had better get used to it. From what I was told he sounded and looked like Bobby Boucher when that day came and he went off on the boy. I got the call, picked him up from school and we went and raced go carts at one of them fun park places. That particular problem at school went away that day and never came back.
    Last edited by Bownut; 03-23-2018 at 10:12 PM.