Thread: BGE cast iron grate

Default BGE cast iron grate

My last grill, Char-Griller AKORN, did everything I asked of it but the temperature regulation sucked. If you ran the temp past where you wanted to be, you better pick up a good book b/c it was going to be a while before the temp came down. The BGE is far superior in that aspect and I've wanted one for some time, so I finally bit the bullet last weekend.

My Akorn has a cast iron cooking grate and the BGE came with a stainless wire grate. I would have thought for that much money it would come with a free hand job and most certainly a cast iron grate but I assumed wrong. For those of you that have both, would you recommend getting the cast iron grate? I don't mind spending the money, I just don't want to waste my money if the grates not worth a shit.

I have cooked on it once so far (weather has sucked ass almost every day) but I really enjoy it, minus the grate.

Thanks
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Get it.

I got the iron grate a few years ago. The stainless one hasn’t been back on the grill. I think my wife got it from amazon so it’s was cheaper than the official bge made one. I also recently got one of those smokeware stainless caps..I really like it, I can control the temp a lot better than the old daisy wheel.

I would rather have steel grates.

It's all just personal preference. I feel like there's less mess with steel, those coated cast iron grates take more energy. Steel doesn't get quite as hot I think, but I can get mine as hot as I need. I'm not all huge for steaks on my BGE. I've got a cheaper little half barrel at the lake house that I would rather cook steaks on. I like hot ass flames on mine or a hot pan.

I eat a lot of ribeyes. My BGE is mostly for smoking or burgers.

I don't even know where my stainless grate is

Steel is for the grill, cast iron for the stove.

If you believe a grill grate needs to be cleaned often and be spotless then stick with the steel grates. Otherwise it will be rust city. If you believe a grill grate should build flavor then stick with the cast iron. But since you have used cast iron I assume you are familiar with the concept.

Not really specific to BGE. Just my preference with grills and smokers. I prefer steel for a hot grill. And cast iron for a smoker.

One question I would have is if you could use the second rack with the cast iron.

Pro tip on the Akorn. Go to simpsonville ace hardware and pick up a roll of bge gasket material. Then take the ash tray off and run a layer of gasket material around it. Then run a layer on the rim of the grill where their lid gasket makes contact.

That helps a lot sealing it up and the temp is easier to control.

Still no bge but a lot lighter to carry around. I picked up one for camping and tailgating. I like it.

I liked having them both going at Christmas.
    Last edited by Jozie & Me; 03-22-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Pat of butter and a hot pan...can't beat it...

I put a cast iron grate on my egg 9 years ago. The original may have been fine. But I only used it once.

HS- what kind of vent system are you running?

Will your iron grate from the acorn not fit the egg?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Will your iron grate from the acorn not fit the egg?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    No,. The Akorn is a couple of inches bigger.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I think I'm going to get the iron grate and the stainless top vent. The cast vent that came with it sucks ass.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

I would think the cast iron top vent would keep better hear. I'm kinda used to mine, all the sliding around is ingrained..

MW, a fairly nice priced one. Off the top of my head I can't remember is it's all 6 or 8 inches piped up. I couldn't go out the side, didn't want to go down so I went up. It went through some of my son's closet upstairs so he lost a tad of space.. He's a boy..

DC, heck yeah. I'll start with a tad of oil in with it so I can go higher, then some butter at the end also. Once you start getting the flavors off the bottom the melted mass is spooned over until done.