Thread: Chinks to go after Pork and Beans

Default Chinks to go after Pork and Beans

Commodities China May Target in Trade Dispute
    By Megan Durisin , Marvin G Perez , Shruti Singh , and Jeff Wilson
    March 22, 2018, 6:27 PM EDT
    U.S. soybean exports valued at $14 billion could be at risk
    Other products that could suffer: pork, alfalfa, sorghum
    Now that President Donald Trump has announced punitive tariffs on Chinese goods, attention has switched to possible retaliatory measures. U.S. agriculture is a clear and obvious target.

U.S. farmers export more produce to China than any other country. By hitting commodities such as soybeans and pork with tariffs, China would also be singling out products grown in the American rural heartland, a key constituency that helped elect Trump. Here’s a brief rundown of what may be at risk.

Soybeans
    This humble oilseed is of huge importance to China, where it’s used as animal feed and in a wide variety of foods and household goods. The soybean trade is also vital to U.S. farmers: a third of their production, valued at $14 billion annually, goes to China, according to the American Soybean Association.

Targeting soybeans is clearly on the mind of the Chinese government. This week an editorial published in the Global Times, a newspaper affiliated with the ruling Communist Party, railed against alleged soybean dumping.

Should China pull the trigger, the implications for U.S. soy farmers could be severe. "The tough line the administration is taking on China will lead to retaliation that will cost many farmers their livelihoods," the soybean association said Thursday.

Yet despite plenty of supply from Brazil and Argentina, China is such a big consumer that it’s unlikely to be able to entirely wean itself off U.S. soy. The country’s imports are projected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to rise to a humongous 100 million metric tons in the next crop year -- that’s more than a quarter of total current global production.

Pork
    The U.S. exports about a fifth of its pork production, and China -- the world’s largest consumer of the meat -- is among the largest buyers. The U.S. shipped about 309,000 metric tons to China last year, USDA data show. Combined with Hong Kong, it ranks second, behind Mexico, according to the U.S. Meat Export Federation.

U.S. pork could be an “easy target," according to a report this week by analysts at Vertical Group. China’s purchases have waned in recent months as its domestic hog herd expands and pig prices drop. More broadly, the country has ambitions to become more self-sufficient. In 2013, Smithfield Foods Inc., the U.S. pork producer that’s also the world’s largest, was acquired by Hong Kong-based W.H. Group Ltd.

Cotton

The fiber represents another massive trade flow from the U.S.: exports of raw cotton fetched $5.8 billion last year, government data show. China was the top destination after Vietnam.

Still, the cotton market is less concerned about possible duties than it is about the overall threat posed by a trade war, according to Peter Egli, the Chicago-based director of risk management for Plexus Cotton Ltd. Disruption in the soybean trade could spur U.S. farmers to grow more cotton instead, increasing supplies and curbing prices, he said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-trade-dispute

Called it
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

Its interesting because who else are they going to turn to in order to feed themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Its interesting because who else are they going to turn to in order to feed themselves?
    I agree with you brother, but this may become a game of chicken, involving American farmers. We shall see.
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

Well I hope they like the taste of f****** tilapia.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 03-22-2018 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Of, not the

Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    I agree with you brother, but this may become a game of chicken, involving American farmers. We shall see.
    Interesting times for sure and the markets don’t like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    This. Who the hell wants lean pork meat?

As for the markets, I need to move some money. Let the dow drop another 1k. He'll make it 3k. Short term people who still have all their money in stocks deserve to get burned.

China is running out of water and farmland. They have to plan decades in advance and actively force people to leave rural areas and move to cities so they can maximize land usage. Short-term probably not good for us. But they need us more than we need them. If China collapsed tomorrow I don’t think it would make a huge dent to us. Most of the trade is coming this direction. I miss the days of “Made in Japan”. They could build a quality product.

Clinton sold us out to those commies for 8 years.

Short term fear mongering in my opinion. The chicoms have been holding the hand in the cotton game for awhile with the stocks which have recently been discovered to be of shit quality though we have know it for years, just trying to depress price not to mention China is not quite the textile superpower it was a decade ago. As for pork and beans, asking the Chinese to go light on the pork is like asking Trump to give up Twitter. No one grows pork like the US, especially not the Chinese. They will run the CBOT into a frenzy for a bit and it will creep on back, meanwhile the American farmer will continue to get fucked by forces well outside of their control.
    cut\'em

Adjust to not selling to the fucktards...then triple the price on anything they want to buy. It’s going to hurt a little in the short term...it’s called a correction.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

It’s war. Buy beans and pork with the defense budget and feed our boys and vets pork roast, bacon and bbq til they puke.

Proving we don’t need them will bring those Chicoms to heel faster than bullets.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud