Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For mature audiences only!

you should try different ones to figure out what you like..

wild turkey 101 wild turkey rare breed
    knob creek single barrel
    bulleit
    elijah craig/ EC small batch
    eagle rare
    buffalo trace
    4 roses

in no particular order...i like higher proof bourbons personally...unless buying for a specific reason i wouldn't spend much more than about 50 bucks on a bottle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

Sazerac rye

Corner Creek bourbon

Willet bourbon
    More fuel = more boost!!

My go to is Woodford Reserve. I have some higher end stuff I drink occasionally, but it’s Woodford 90% of the time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    My go to is Woodford Reserve. I have some higher end stuff I drink occasionally, but it’s Woodford 90% of the time for me.
    Good man. Same here

Go buy a bottle of Bulleit and be done with it.

For the money Buffalo Trace is hard to beat.

There is an extremely, well-produced documentary on Amazon called, "Neat: the story of bourbon". Definitely worth the watch. I haven't seen anything that good in quite some time.

In no particular order:
    Woodford
    Knob Creek
    Buffalo Trace

And Beam for mixing
    Last edited by wskinner; 03-23-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Thank goodness nobody has mentioned my brand.....with the limited availability, I can keep it all to myself!

Right Ralph? Speaking of which, I need to come see you.
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 03-23-2018 at 11:47 AM.

The Superior Light Beer

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

J Reb, I'm looking at three cases of half gallons in my first back room..

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    The Superior Light Beer
    Fag!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

https://www.liquor.com/articles/chea...on/#gs.pX1iWx0

Cheat Sheet of Bourbon:

Ask for a bottle of bourbon at Park Avenue Liquor Shop in Midtown Manhattan and you’ll be shown a wall of whiskey. The store carries more than five dozen different bottlings, and that’s not counting rye or Tennessee whiskey. How’s a drinker supposed to choose?

To help you make the decision easier, we enlisted Knob Creek’s whiskey professor Bernie Lubbers. In addition to knowing about liquor, he has another special talent: Tell him your bourbon of choice, and he’ll immediately rattle off your other favorites and which spirits you should try next. We got Lubbers to reveal the secret to his trick, which will make finding whiskies you’ll love that much easier.

From how long the spirit ages to the proof, there are a number of key factors that contribute to the flavor of bourbon. But today we’re focusing on the most basic: the three grains used to make the whiskey. While all bourbons must be at least 51 percent corn and usually contain some barley, the third grain can vary from brand to brand. Using that so-called “flavoring grain,” Lubbers divides the whole bourbon category into three main groups. “I try to find the common dominator,” he says.

There’s the “traditional bourbon recipe,” which calls for about 70 percent corn and then roughly equal amounts of rye and barley. Knob Creek, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey and Evan Williams fall into this group. Then there’s the spicy “high-rye recipe,” which includes a higher percentage of, you guessed it, rye. Basil Hayden’s, Four Roses and Buffalo Trace all follow this formula. The last group is the “traditional wheat recipe,” which, according to Lubbers, has a “sweeter and softer” taste since it’s made from corn, barley and wheat. Maker’s Mark, Van Winkle and W.L. Weller are examples of this style.

While the bourbons in each group will taste different, there’s a good chance that if you like one you’ll like the rest. With Lubbers’ assistance we created a cheat sheet that breaks down the most popular brands into these three categories. Now it’s time to go back to the liquor store.

TRADITIONAL BOURBON RECIPE:
    Baker’s
    Booker’s
    Elijah Craig
    Evan Williams
    Jim Beam
    Jim Beam Black
    Knob Creek
    Old Crow
    Wild Turkey

HIGH-RYE RECIPE:
    Basil Hayden’s
    Buffalo Trace
    Bulleit
    Eagle Rare
    Four Roses
    George T. Stagg
    Old Forester
    Old Grand-Dad
    Woodford Reserve

HIGH-WHEAT RECIPE:
    Maker’s Mark
    Old Fitzgerald
    Rebel Yell
    Old Rip Van Winkle/Pappy Van Winkle
    W.L. Weller

Quote Originally Posted by GobblerHntr View Post
    Fireball
    And Jagermeister

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    And Jagermeister
    Jager Bombs!!

I'm no bourbon poet and when I drink bourbon it's usually Evan Williams Single Barrel or Bulleit, neither of which are budget breakers. This past Tuesday as a last minute gift for my dad's 82nd birthday I went to get him a bottle of Blanton's, he had mentioned he wanted one. Well the store I went to was out and the clerk told me it is overrated for the price anyways (I like it fine...). Long story short she recommended a bottle of Belle Meade Single Barrel Cask Strength, at $70 bucks it was little cheaper than Blanton's so i decided to roll the dice. My dad came over for dinner and before we ate we cracked the seal and each poured a small drink, neat. We both agreed it was probably one of the best bourbons we have ever tasted. The bottle I bought him was 118 proof and has to be one of the smoothest tastiest bourbons I have ever had and with very little burn even though it's high test. I liked it so much that I went and got the last bottle they had on the shelf today. I was told they had two more cases in the back but after that was gone there would be no more. I don't know if that is true or not but I'll probably end up picking one more up just in case and put it away as Christmas gift to myself. If you get the chance I recommend this brand highly.

Blanton's.
    :FYT:

i do not like bulliet bourbon at all. not a big fan of buffalo trace, either.

but when i look at DJPs list, I DO like the higher rye whiskeys like old forester and woodford.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Always something a little off with you.

Old Forester gave me the worst hangover of my life...of course there was the time someone gave me the Crown in the silver box and I felt obliged to drink it all in one night so that one was bad too..of course there was also the time someone gave me 3 cases of Corona after a week long fishing excursion and you know how free beer is...and let's not forget any of the myriad of moonshine stories..