Thread: Feds give WI DNR $35,000,000

Default Feds give WI DNR $35,000,000

DODGE COUNTY (WLUK) -- Conservation efforts in Wisconsin will move forward, after a multi-million dollar boost from the federal government.

For the first time, the U.S. Secretary of the Interior made the presentation in person with a ceremonial signature.

"I hope it will cash," joked Ryan Zinke, U.S. Secretary of the Interior.

Zinke made it official. He presented the $34,966,603 check to the Department of Natural Resources Tuesday morning at a ceremony at the Horicon Marsh State Wildlife Area Visitors Center.

"The opportunity to have a secretary come here and actually roll out this year's appropriation. It's really exciting for us, and all of our sportsmen," said Sanjay Olson, DNR Fish, Wildlife, and Parks Division Administrator.

Olson says improving public land access for hunting and fishing is a priority.

"Sometimes it's access like a fee purchase, like an actual purchase. Sometimes it's through easement. Where we don't always have to own the land, but we get the easement for the public to be able to get on those properties," he said.

Olson says boat landings, and piers are on the upgrade list. He says the money will also support stocking efforts for various fish.

"There's opportunities to do more research, so we can find more about the fish and wildlife species, and game species that are out there. Certainly the habitat they use, so that we can make smart decisions with the limited dollars that we have," said Olson.

The federal grants to the states total more than $1.1 billion. Zinke says the Department of the Interior is looking to improve national projects as well.

"This next year, we're going to rebuild our park system, rebuild our wildlife refuges, and reorganize our stewardship in looking at wildlife corridors, watersheds, and key components to being the best stewards we can, for the the longest term. Using science, best practices, greatest good, longest term," he said.

DNR leaders say they are ready to get the state's projects going.

"It has a long term benefit. So yes, we spend the dollars in a short time, but what you see on the landscape lasts for an extremely long time," said Olson.

Money from things like fishing license sales, and ammunition pays for the federal project.

Over the years, the program has distributed more than $20 billion to help support conservation initiatives.

http://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Fed...477465963.html

that's an ass of cheese
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

We need to start an elk program here in SC. Wisconsin did and that may be what got Zinke's attention. He is after all a hunter from Montano.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I wonder what the entire SCDNR budget is for a year? 35 million?? GEEEEZ!!!!
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

That does seem like an awful lot money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Telecheck.

#boom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That $ will be spent very wisely, just like all other State and Federally funded projects.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I heard the money up at Broad River was more or less pissed away. Let's hope their DNR is more on top of things...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I heard the money up at Broad River was more or less pissed away. Let's hope their DNR is more on top of things...
    You heard I paid that particular WMA a visit today? (4th time this year)
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

They getting it straight I hope. It was a gem...

Good job today Cajun, Sent Emily and email earlier about those gates.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Good job today Cajun, Sent Emily and email earlier about those gates.
    We will get it right up there........eventually.

The Horicon marsh is an epic habitat. Not sure if the money was earmarked for it or not. Back when Columbia Sportswear was made in America and used Gore-Tex they called their jackets by soe cool names based on the activity. Their waterfowl was "The Horicon." They have recently begun to use Horicon in some of the hunting gear again. BTW $35 million is pocket change for the feds, but then everyone already knew that. Whether it is $35 million or $1 if it is not spent on what it is intended it is worthless. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero