Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hartwell Advice

Default Hartwell Advice

I just got into striper fishing last year as a way to involve my kids more without having to worry about them casting as much and to fight boredom as they're pretty young. I had a good bit of luck last year pulling planer boards and that definitely kept them interested watching the graph and seeing the fish on the screen first and then biting. We were only able to catch them consistently for about the month of April and only early in the morning and late in the evening. By 9 am or so the planer board bite really slowed for us. I've tried down-rodding later in the day and we'll occasionally pick up an extra one, but definitely not as often as we'd like. Do y'all have any advice to extend our catching past the first couple of hours of daylight?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Creek mouths, humps, and main lake points. You can go up tugaloo then choestoe, or eastanolee. Run the boat up on the bank and fish cut or live bait out the back on bottom.setup on a point on inside bend. If the kids get bored let em walk down the bank and throw a no alibi on a cork. May find some bonus crappies. Look for bait on Seneca side.

If you can't catch a striper on hartwell then you need to quit striper fishing
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

"To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Do you have kids? I'm guessing no. So I'll leave it simple and say the struggle to compete with electronic devices is real and an everyday battle. It's tough to keep young kids entertained in the outdoors.

And for the record I didn't ask how to catch A striper. I asked for advice on how to catch MORE stripers and specifically for midday.
    Last edited by scoutlover; 03-20-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Downrods work past the first two hours of daylight. Fish free lines with no planer boards as well. Put a split shot on one of the free lines. If you caught them before, you're in the right spots. This time of year I fish all three, planers, down, and free lines. They all get bit
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

The struggle is reeeaaaalllll...

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    Downrods work past the first two hours of daylight. Fish free lines with no planer boards as well. Put a split shot on one of the free lines. If you caught them before, you're in the right spots. This time of year I fish all three, planers, down, and free lines. They all get bit
    When you down rod, do you anchor as close to the school as possible when you mark them with the hopes the school will swim back through or do you slowly move around with the trolling motor trying to intercept them?

Put down rods, free lines with split shots, and planers out all at the same time and ease around with the trolling motor. I assume you have electronics on your boat, so keep an eye out for where the fish are hanging.

If you caught fish in the area they didn't go far, maybe check a little deeper in the creeks.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    Do you have kids? I'm guessing no. So I'll leave it simple and say the struggle to compete with electronic devices is real and an everyday battle. It's tough to keep young kids entertained in the outdoors.

And for the record I didn't ask how to catch A striper. I asked for advice on how to catch MORE stripers and specifically for midday.
    i cant help you with the fishing but I have an easy answer for electronics....especially in YOUNG kids. Let me know if you're open to advice.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i cant help you with the fishing but I have an easy answer for electronics....especially in YOUNG kids. Let me know if you're open to advice.
    who didn't see this comment coming from toof? But I agree with toofer here. My kids don't have electronics either and their TV time is very limited.
    Last edited by reeltight; 03-21-2018 at 07:20 AM.

hush.

I was easing in. Notice I didnt give advice yet. I was just asking if he was open to hearing about it.

Our society is changing because today's parents are, for whatever reason, afraid to say NO. (que the thread on kids sleeping in beds and showing up in their parents rooms. that happened in my house ONCE.)
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I'm open but I'm 99% sure I know where you're going. I despise seeing kids glued to tablets and phones like zombies, so I refuse to let my kids own them (ages 7, 3 and 3). But seeing as they have access to them at school, daycare, church and whenever my wife is busy and I'm not around, it's an uphill battle. I think they have a time and place but they've become the new babysitter.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post

I have two kids and have zero issues keeping them entertained outdoors.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

This.

I have two kids and have zero issues keeping them entertained outdoors.
    I haven't had any issues entertaining them outdoors either. YET. But I know the day is coming. Seeing as you are a father I'd think you would respect someone wanting to do right by their kids and giving them a better experience in the outdoors.

If you weren't so sensitive you would have realized all I was saying is that there is a fuck ton of them and they aren't exactly hard to catch. Don't over think it

If you weren't so sensitive you would have realized all I was saying is that there is a fuck ton of them and they aren't exactly hard to catch. Don't over think it
    I get that and I'm painfully aware of how many are in Hartwell because I mark them on the graph all the time. Seeing them and catching them are two different things. Every bass fisherman thinks it's as easy as dropping live bait down and loading the boat with stripers. I used to to think that too.

Maybe you need to tell me how to fish then because I have left many a brush pile or point because I couldn't through the striper to catch a bass

Maybe you need to tell me how to fish then because I have left many a brush pile or point because I couldn't through the striper to catch a bass
    That's my point. You caught some inadvertently and assume they're easy to catch. That's just like my biggest 5 bass on Saturday was around 25 pounds. Didn't boat a single striper though. Mind you this was during the classic when most of the pro's were struggling to catch dinks. Using that logic I should quit my job and join the Elite series. But I made that same mistake. I was a diehard glitter boat guy and caught stripers on accident every time I fished Hartwell. I assumed it was easier and after 2 years of targeting them specifically I'm finding out that's not the case.