Thread: Looking for a Motion Activated LED Floodlight for my Driveway

Default Looking for a Motion Activated LED Floodlight for my Driveway

I installed an LED floodlight from Lowe's over my Garage Door about 4 years ago. It was very bright back then but it has dimmed so much that I need to replace it. I'm wanting to buy one that's made to last with a quality motion sensor and LED's. Anybody got one they've been happy with? Everything I see at Walmart, Lowe's, Amazon, etc looks like Chinese junk.

Are you tied to motion or open to a photocell? I updated some fixtures with LED flood bulbs and changed the motion sensor to photocell.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Go to an ACE Hardware store, owned by a local, and you will get what you need. I got a few two weeks ago. Why try to kill the family owned business? Crap on walmart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Go to an ACE Hardware store, owned by a local, and you will get what you need. I got a few two weeks ago. Why try to kill the family owned business? Crap on walmart.
    Pretty much all of the brands are made in China now anyway, but ACE carries several types and $ levels of motion sensor spotlights, assuming that's what you want.

IMO, spend the extra few bucks and get the $40+/- one. I think the sensor is better than the $20 one I picked up last year to replace a 23 year old light that finally gave up the ghost. The better one also has a wider sensor angle. You may have to buy separate LED spot/flood lights as I don't recall is any of them come with them or not.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-20-2018 at 04:35 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I got these last year and I like them

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the motion sensor because I only need that light on for about 2 minutes at a time. I also like that it might surprise a thief enough to move on down the skreet.

Quote Originally Posted by papagood View Post
    I like the motion sensor because I only need that light on for about 2 minutes at a time. I also like that it might surprise a thief enough to move on down the skreet.
    Same here. I've got them all around the house and garage. It's also handy for the dogs to trigger the various lights as they go to different areas of the yard, as it is to automatically light up the front of the garage when one of us or a visitor comes home after dark.

The only issue is that wind can trigger them if a tree branch is too close, etc, or on that very rare occasion when an owl flies through a sensored area of the yard. That was a cool surprise one evening.

Thanks for that link, reeltight.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Here are two I have at my house and I bought the three light version first. They are quite simply awesome. You can adjust eh sensitivity AND the brightness, which is important because these bastards are bright. I recomend getting the daylight versions. They are cast aluminum housing too, not plastic. They come with everything you will need for a direct replacement. I'll vouch for them as the best I have ever that I have ever seen or owned. At full power they will piss off you neighbors, which is why they are dimmable and come with a moveable hood. They are rated as waterproof and UL rated. MG

Dum Spiro Spero

Bro, EverBrite, as seen on tv.

Bell and Howell Tac-Lite.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

I bought the one reeltight has and installed this weekend. Easy install and very bright. I think it's the exact same thing Maggie posted, just a different brand stamped on it. I appreciate the advice.

The real test will be how long it lasts. If I had one complaint, it would be that the unit can rotate due to the 1-screw mounting design.

tight'n down and that sucker. It won't go anywhere.

No complaints out of mine so far. 6 months in.

I don't know if it's the "way" its supposed to be. I certainly didn't read the directions, but you can flip the switch on and off and make the light stay on...flip it again to make it go back to motion sensor. Pretty neat feature once I figured it out.