Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCE&G question

Default SCE&G question

OK. I need a contact with SCE&G. Yes, I am using the yahoos on this stupid web site bc I cant seem to get what I am supposed to get....

I have a guy working on a pump for me in the office. He is bright. I enjoy talking to him and nodding my head when he talks amps and volts and motors and such. i am fucking clueless but its still neat.

Anyway, he and i were standing in the pump room the other day and a pump came on and he didnt like the sound of it. i told him I didnt either, and had gone to turning the pumps off at lunch if I was in the office bc the start up sound bugged me. He said it might be the "flux capacitor" and went to his truck to get something to check it. Turns out...after a good bit of fiddling here and there...that the "plug" is only pulling 206volts. So, he said to call E&G and have them come out and test. So, they did. They said "blah blah blah blah we get 211 at the transformer and thats within legal guidelines blah blah blah." I say OK.

So, pump guy is back and says "thats bullshit. they should be getting 230 outside. If this keeps up its gonna fry your something and it'll cost $10000."

I am not usually a squeaky wheel....but I'm tired of getting tromped on by big brother (que the gas line/dominion thread). I need to find the RIGHT person to contact so my pump doesnt do whatever he is worried about and cost me money I shouldnt have to spend if it was pulling the right volts.

Anyone?

and yes I know I will have to weed thru 100 stupid responses.

GO
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 03-15-2018 at 03:44 PM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

My Dad's a TV repairman. He's got an AWESOME set of tools. Want me to take a look?

Check in at a holiday inn express and tomorrow you will be able to fix it

Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I think the power company is BS you. Take a clothes hanger bend it into a tight U. Insert both end at the same time in top two slots and if you don’t flinch it’s 208v

It sounds like you have 208v service and I’ve seen buildings where 199 was the norm. I didn’t like it but that’s what we had and the equipment runs fine on it. That building is on Main st in Greenville.

They wasted millions on the VC Sumner Project. You think they give a shit if something is going to cost you 10000
    Last edited by GobblerHntr; 03-15-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I’ve yet to see a power company admit to not delivering the proper voltage to a customer. They can put a recorder on your incoming feeder and determine if there are variations outside of allowable limits. If they do this, they will likely tell you everything is fine. Mysteriously, your problem will also disappear.

We had this happen with Duke on a plant about 12 years ago. Several VFDs were tripping and it was the result of voltage spikes. After they put monitors on their incoming lines, the problem vanished.

Quote Originally Posted by justhuntin View Post
    It sounds like you have 208v service and I’ve seen buildings where 199 was the norm. I didn’t like it but that’s what we had and the equipment runs fine on it. That building is on Main st in Greenville.
    This.

Where are you located? You can PM me if needed. It's likely a 208V service as they are moving away from 240V for commercial buildings. Is this a new problem with the pump?

For the record, I am not with SCE&G but I do deal with them almost on a daily basis.
    Last edited by c-dub; 03-15-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    I’ve yet to see a power company admit to not delivering the proper voltage to a customer. They can put a recorder on your incoming feeder and determine if there are variations outside of allowable limits. If they do this, they will likely tell you everything is fine. Mysteriously, your problem will also disappear.

We had this happen with Duke on a plant about 12 years ago. Several VFDs were tripping and it was the result of voltage spikes. After they put monitors on their incoming lines, the problem vanished.
    Zackly. They never admit to anything.

Prayers sent.

Flux capacitor. Lol
    867-5309

Pm sent

I would be willing to bet my left nut that your dentist office is 120/208 3phase , and your pump man doesn’t know what he is talking about. I’ve been doing line work for 20 years and can count on one hand how many 120/240 3 phase banks I have built. Jtemp can get you straight.

Quote Originally Posted by justhuntin View Post
    Zackly. They never admit to anything.
    Yup. “Squirrels” cost me $2000 once..
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Can I get 2 hen houses?
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I would get KRT to take a look at it

PM sent
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

My power bill was $59 this month.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.