Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spud pole options?

Default Spud pole options?

Shallow water anchor, Poor man's power pole, or Spud pole. Whatever you call it. What are some easy ways to rig one up on a john boat? I'd really like one front and rear. I bass fish from my 17 foot edge a bunch. Just haven't figured out a good way to hold my position.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Got any pics of the boat?

I've got an idea but need to see the boat
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 03-03-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

buy a D ring (used to hold low voltage cable in place in electrical closets) and screw it to the front of your boat.
    Get a stick of EMT, cut at angle (sharp point to push in the mud) and weld a T on top.

You’d be in the hole for about 15$.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

Push type pole, rope, cleat.

Get a grounding rod or two, attach a shackle to the non pointy end, attach rope, go fishing.

Those of you with the D-ring setup (or any setup with just pushing the pole in and tying off) do you ever encounter harder bottom where you can't push the pole in enough to hold?

I mostly fish lakes with a hard bottom. Getting a pole to stick is difficult.

I'm using this in salt water so unless hard pack sand, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    Those of you with the D-ring setup (or any setup with just pushing the pole in and tying off) do you ever encounter harder bottom where you can't push the pole in enough to hold?
    Rarely but sure sometimes. Power Poles are GREAT. There's no poor man's equivalent really. I'd like to have one on my boat and wish I'd originally set it up with one. When their aren't other things in line ahead of it I want more, then I will bite the bullet.

i-pilot. Press anchor button.
    cut\'em

Get some of the thicker golf flag poles, sharpen the end and put a T handle on the top. Whenever I fish for bedded fish out of one of my alumnium boats I clip large carabiners to a front and rear cleat and use two poles.

I would actually go with minn kota talons over power poles for an aluminum boat, they're a lot shorter and installation is easier.
    Last edited by Coastal Woodie; 03-03-2018 at 02:39 PM.

What about oyster beds or shell bank? Trouble getting the push in type to hold?

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    What about oyster beds or shell bank? Trouble getting the push in type to hold?
    Normally no issue, some areas are tougher than others.

Does it have the stepped hull at the rear??
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Buy two power poles.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Get a grounding rod or two, attach a shackle to the non pointy end, attach rope, go fishing.
    This
    867-5309

1/2" or 5/8 Rebar.

Fabricate a 3" wise piece of flat stock with a 1" hole drilled, offset 3/4 of the way of the plate away from the boat. Bend a 45 angle downward on the flat stock, that is long enough to accommodate the boat's accessory rail. Drill 2x 3/8" holes in the 45'ed end of the stock. Get yourself 2 carriage bolts, shave 2 flat edges on each one in order to slip into your rail channel. Use those bolts with washers and wing nuts to secure the 45'ed angle to the boat. Just push your 5/8 rebar through the 1" hole and into the river bottom or whatever.

Cheap, easy, less lines to keep tidy, and removes with wing nuts.
    -poles on opposite corners of the boat when hunting tidal water-

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Bamboo
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I need a welder. I found what I want on the inter web. I'm going to fab it up with wood. Then see if I can get some one to make it for me.