Thread: Yeti camp chair

Default Yeti camp chair

Available at a Feetdown near you...

You could say that Yeti was already in the furniture business, given people’s tendency to sit on coolers. But with the Hondo Base Camp Chair, which hits market this spring, the company officially declared its dedication to a comfy derrière.

Like the original Tundra cooler, Yeti’s new camp chair is infinitely more durable than the industry standard. (At $300, it’s also infinitely more expensive.) Most consumers, Yeti found, buy cheap camp chairs, break them within a year, and replace them with another short-term solution.

So, the Hondo features Yeti’s durability DNA. The frame is made of double-walled, 6061 aluminum that’s age-hardened for 25 hours in a blast furnace to make it 200 percent stronger. Its architectural-grade powder coating stands up to extended exposure, and super-strong welds (similar to the ones used on downhill mountain bikes) make this chair so sturdy that during the testing phase, the chair supported 3,000 pounds before collapsing. If a Toyota Corolla had a human-size rear end, it could sit in this chair.

To make the Hondo as comfortable as it is tough, Yeti recruited talent from Herman Miller (manufacturer of another expensive chair—the $1,300 Aeron) and replicated the Aeron’s famously bouncy, trampoline-style seat.

At a glance, the 16.5-pound Hondo doesn’t look like a radically better product; it’s not until you actually kick back in one that you realize how comfortable it really is. But since the chair will only be sold online and at Yeti’s flagship store in Austin, Texas, few shoppers will have an opportunity to try before they buy.

As for the cup-holder that absolutely every camp chair needs? It’s coming, says Yeti. Manufacturing hiccups delayed the production of the snap-on beverage attachments that Yeti plans for the Hondo. Other accessories, such as a gear-storage bag, will follow suit.

But does it come with a sticker?

I bet that thing would be comfy in my turkey tent.

I need one in khaki.

I wonder if they'll come out with mounting clamps for bolting it down in the bed of a pick up?

In all seriousness, I like the business model of Yeti; take something we all use and make a version that is built like a tank. There are some products that you just have to suffer with cheap, disposable, crappy implementations. There isn't a well-built one at any price. I wonder if we could get Yeti to make a bilge pump?

Who can tote a 16 pound chair and a cooler?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I wonder if they'll come out with mounting clamps for bolting it down in the bed of a pick up?

In all seriousness, I like the business model of Yeti; take something we all use and make a version that is built like a tank. There are some products that you just have to suffer with cheap, disposable, crappy implementations. There isn't a well-built one at any price. I wonder if we could get Yeti to make a bilge pump?
    The Yeti easy up will be next

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk