Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fiber Speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    What area or road are you on? Last I checked 20% or so of the fiber had been installed. The overhead side will be a lot faster to install but wil slow down when we go to installing it underground. Hearing mostly compliments from our consumers.
    Paxton Pond Area near Old Charleston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    In a word. WRONG

I pay for and get 25. And that's on copper. They offer 50 but I'm not close enough to the box. Fiber is a hole other game.

Im most urban areas they offer gigabyte internet over fiber. That would be 1000 mbs. Or 100 times what you think is the fastest.
    I'm paying for 10 (no data cap) and on good days I get 9 or so on copper and that's naked DSL with Century Link. The wife watches Net Flix movies while I'm online and we haven't had a problem. Cell phones work fine too.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Clearly said I was no expert. Now that they are here I will exit stage left

Keep in mind all these internet connections you're looking at are shared bandwidth. Which means you're sharing a big pool of bandwidth with your neighbors if they purchase their internet from the same company. So the speed always depends on a few factors: including everyone else using that same bandwidth. Which is why you can run a speed test at 9am and have 60M download and 5 M upload, then run the same speed test at 7pm and get 10M down/2.5M up. Evening time is peak traffic for pretty much every provider.

It'll be a long time before cable companies do any fiber to the home stuff. Because coax is capable of supporting some pretty stout speeds. In certain markets Spectrum just launched 500Mbps and 1Gigabps, like New York and LA and some others.

Phone companies are having to make the investment to replace their old copper infrastructure with fiber just to keep up, cause DSL can only do so much.

However, cable companies do run fiber directly to some businesses for Dedicated Bandwidth (which means when you purchase 100M, it's 100M download and upload and you're not sharing it with anyone, it's yours) and secure point to point Ethernet connectivity to another business location elsewhere, that never touches the public internet. We also run business phone services like SIP and PRI over fiber.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 04-12-2018 at 12:32 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft