Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most $$ you have in a bass fishing combo

Default Most $$ you have in a bass fishing combo

I am looking for a new spinning rod to fish 6# mono throwing mainly 1/4oz jigs. Haven't bought any new bass rod/reels in a while. For what "they" are considering top of the line equipment, they expect me to be paying more than a grand for rod and reel from brands I have never even heard of????

I am a big believer in you get what you pay for, but really? I also saw a $125 swim bait, so I know people have gone nuts...

What's wrong with a Wal-Mart spinning rod and a rubber worm. It's a bass, they aren't that strong. For $125 I can build 3-4 prime HS trolling rigs.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

St. Croix rods with shimano baitcasters is what i have on mine.
    Last edited by ReelHard; 01-29-2019 at 02:26 PM.

My favorite bass rod is my loomis bronzeback with a stradic 3000 on it. It's definitely more of a lightweight finesse rod but it's what I find myself using the most and it's a joy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    What's wrong with a Wal-Mart spinning rod and a rubber worm.
    Not a damn thing. Except, in this case, I am looking for a jig rod for smallmouth to fish between 20-50'.

You only snap the tips of so many rods or have so many expensive rod/reel combos stolen before you realize a $25-50 combo works just fine and is much easier to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Not a damn thing. Except, in this case, I am looking for a jig rod for smallmouth to fish between 20-50'.
    10-4, I got an Avet SX on a Teramar slow pitch rod that’s a blast for Bliners, BSB and similar fish. Bet it’d be cool to catch those baitfish on too. I got into slow pitch last year, it’s a blast.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I ran peen battles on 7' medium ugly stick inshore select rods. Worked well for bass and reds. Its a higher end ugly stick but If I snapped a rod, broke the tip, etc, I could just went by the local Walmart and replaced it. I am very happy with those ugly sticks.
    Last edited by Fireman; 01-29-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Castaway or Dobyns rods and Lew's reels.
    Last edited by Coastal Woodie; 01-29-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Toofer going to have an aneurism when he reads all this Walmart stuff.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Nah, something tells me Tooth doesn't spend $125 on a bass fishing rod.

But, yes, he is no fan of Walmart.
    Last edited by Moonlight Hunter; 01-29-2019 at 03:26 PM.

I've fished a $70ish 7' med one piece Lew's razor spinning combo I got at Cabelas for the last two seasons for finesse fishing. Spooled with 20lb braid with an 8-12lb mono leader. Caught more than a few 6lb+ largemouth on it. Sadly, I don't see these offered at Cabelas this year since the BP takeover. Anyway, you might consider the braid for the sensitivity and no stretch it offers. Difference is you feel them breath on it and set the hook, not after they pick it up and swim off with it. 20# braid is diameter of 6lb mono. Am sure you can spend more and get more for it but that rod and set up has been a pleasure to fish.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

But he'll spend that much on a frying pan.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I just bought a shimano ultegra and some kind of shimano rod, cant remember the name of the rod but it was on clearance. Its about $250 worth of rod and reel but it is damn smooth. About to take it to Louisiana and test it on reds and trout. That is by far the most I've ever paid for an inshore/freshwater setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    Nah, something tells me Tooth doesn't spend $125 on a bass fishing rod.
    Try $550 for the rod I was recommended. For five fiddy I will buy a gill net...

Scratch that. $89 at Cabelas online.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/LEWS...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I just bought a shimano ultegra and some kind of shimano rod, cant remember the name of the rod but it was on clearance. Its about $250 worth of rod and reel but it is damn smooth. About to take it to Louisiana and test it on reds and trout. That is by far the most I've ever paid for an inshore/freshwater setup.
    When I am not throwing them overboard after laying them on top of the rod box, I have had great luck with Shimano rods. Easy to feel a light bite down deep. Where did you find them on clearance?

For about $250 you can have yourself a Curado and a St Criox Triumph to put it on and you should be good to go.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    When I am not throwing them overboard after laying them on top of the rod box, I have had great luck with Shimano rods. Easy to feel a light bite down deep. Where did you find them on clearance?
    The rod was on clearance at PSA down here but the reel wasn't. It was a model that is being discontinued. The reel was $150 and it was a $160 rod that was marked down to $100. It is a crucial maybe?

I've got a few and the one I pickup 99% of the time whether its bass, trout, whatever is a Stradic 4000 on an Ugly Stick inshore select medium action rod with cork handles.