Thread: Bear Creek Arsenal

Default Bear Creek Arsenal

I'm looking at their stuff (of course, like most AR vendors, they are out of stock of about everything). I'm a huge believer in the "you get what you pay for" mentality, especially in gun stuff, and barrels specifically. But, I HAVE had some positive experience with odd sourced low cost barrels, and so I'm hesitant to rule folks out off the bat.

Their barrels and complete uppers are crazy low on price. I'm still kicking the 6.5 hunting gun around, and a complete 6.5mm Grendel upper for $344 seems... unrealistic. BUT, I see positive reviews for the most part, and some evidence that, with quality ammo, they'll shoot MOA or better, which is all I'm looking for in a 200 yard deer and hog gun.

Have any of ya'll had any experience with 'em?

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/'
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I've been looking at their side charging handle upper for a while. But like you said they are out of them most of the time. I think the side charging set up (like theirs) would suit me better as it is more like the firearms that I am used to. I honestly hate the rear charging handle set up on AR's.

I seem to recall information regarding BCA on 65Grendel.com. I want to say the reviews were positive.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

I have run their side charge uppers and have zero issues with them. They fit just like any other mil spec upper
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I have a Bear Creek 18" 6.5 Grendel Upper and I had to replace the barrel. I could not get it to group better than about 3 inches at 100 which wasn't up to my standards. I put a Faxon barrel in and it has worked great. I talked to Bear Creek about it and they offered to repair/replace it, but I would have to re install the barrel and send the upper to them and I haven't been that bored.
    JT
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often. And for the same reason.

I really like my 16" Faxon Grendel barrel.
    Last edited by gooseaholic; 03-07-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

I'd rather buy an outright built upper - the fall-back plan on this would be a LaRue Kit at $792 - which would end up with me having a lot parts I may or may not need, including their brake (which wouldn't mount my can) or an Aero Precision 6.5 upper, which is possibly just as much a crap shoot.

One guy has video on YouTube where he borescopes his BCA barrel - they are apparently pretty rough - but so are Savages.

Wouldn’t waste money on a cheap Grendel barrel. Get a good barrel and bolt. Otherwise there is no point in having a Grendel. Why put potentially very accurate ammo through a shit barrel. Also no point in a short barrel Grendel IMO. You need the velocity to see the benefits of the cartridge. If you want a shorty build a 6.8. Stronger bolt, better mags (PRI), and it was built around a Carbine length barrel and gas system.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Wouldn’t waste money on a cheap Grendel barrel. Get a good barrel and bolt. Otherwise there is no point in having a Grendel. Why put potentially very accurate ammo through a shit barrel. Also no point in a short barrel Grendel IMO. You need the velocity to see the benefits of the cartridge. If you want a shorty build a 6.8. Stronger bolt, better mags (PRI), and it was built around a Carbine length barrel and gas system.
    That's kind of been my mindset - I just didn't know if this was a sleeper. In fact, if I build one rather than buy a built one, a WOA 6.8 SPC barrel would a viable option, and they (WOA) sell an upper kit (less barrel and handquard).

I don't think you will regret buying the larue upper
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Default Bear Creek Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    That's kind of been my mindset - I just didn't know if this was a sleeper. In fact, if I build one rather than buy a built one, a WOA 6.8 SPC barrel would a viable option, and they (WOA) sell an upper kit (less barrel and handquard).
    I just went down this road deciding between Grendel and 6.8. I had an 18" WOA 6.8 upper several years ago and liked it but didn't use it enough to justify it. After I received my thermal scope and mounted it on my 223 16" upper it was an easy decision. My PSA 16" upper with fluted match barrel weighs 4lbs. Lower is 2.5lbs. With suppressor, thermal, and 30rd mag, it's still heavier than I'd like.

I decided to go with a 6.8 upper assembled by Blackstone Arms. 12.5" scout profile ARP barrel and bolt along with a SLR adjustable gas block and SLR Solo Lite 11" handguard. He squares the receiver and polishes the chamber. Upper should be around 3.5 lbs. Mounted on my pistol lower with shockwave brace I should be around 5.5lbs.
    Last edited by dfasano; 03-07-2018 at 04:36 PM.

I've been mulling this over as well, but have been leaning more towards the 6.5 pistol, because I already have a rifle in this caliber and because of the availability of cheap ammo. I know you don't get the full benefit of the Grendel in shorter barrels, but it still seems preferable to 300 bo or 556. Learn me please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, the "battle" is mostly between 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC - the former is more efficient out of longer barrels, the latter out of shorter barrels. From what I've read, the 6.5 is usable from shorter barrels, but you lose any real benefit over the 6.8. I have a lot of 6.5mm crap, so I'm trying to shorten my logistical trail. The 300 AAC is in a separate niche for me, and is where I would build a REAL short barrel pistol if I wanted something like that. If I build a PDW, it will be a 300. 8" barrel, side folding adaptor, small red dot, roll on. But THIS is about a deer and hog gun, so I'm staying non-NFA on length.

As Griffin mentioned, the LaRue option is likely the best bang for my buck, as it comes with everything except a stripped lower. As I'm building this gun with a fixed stock, I'd have extra parts when I was done, but I can re-direct them to other projects (the RAT stock would be nice on the side folding PDW down the road...)

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...-15-upper-kit/

Right, that's my thinking as well. I'm in the middle of building a 10.5" in 556. I figured it wouldn't hurt considering how cheap they are right now. Then I'll look into adding a Grendel Upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I don't think you will regret buying the larue upper
    Well, I have moved funds around, and this is happening last week of the month. Only reason I'm not doing it today is that I don't want it to arrive while I'm out of town. I'll just ask them to keep the Tranquilo brake, as I won't be needing it.

Then to re-think the bolt gun build. I'm 4-5 years from outright retirement, so I'm getting most of my stuff paid for before I take the final income hit.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 04-10-2018 at 10:02 AM.

My general impression of Bear Creek Arsenal is good. However, they do not stake the castle nuts of lowers. The staking of gas keys in some uppers I have seen is insufficient. I encourage you to read this review https://yestactical.com/bear-creek-a...-barrel-review before you go for one. Pretty informative.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/02/ice...creek-arsenal/
    Maybe because illegal aliens were involved in the manufacturing.

I've seen more 6.8 ammo choices available than 6.5 Grendel, or at least I did before the current shortage.

I have a 6.5 with a 16" barrel and I'm very confident out to 300 yards. Zeroed at 100 yards, it's 1.2 mrad low at 300. I'd probably be confident farther out but my range is only 300 yards.