Thread: Garden Soil

Default Garden Soil

What is the best mix to use starting a small back yard garden? I tried to get one going the last couple of years but with limited success. Plants seem to grow ok but don’t produce much. Could also be a pollination problem I guess. I dug all of the old dirt out this afternoon to start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dixie mix. Might be pricey though, I haven’t priced it in years. A place on Farrow rd. was selling it.

I just did a raised bed in the back yard and mixed topsoil, composted manure, sand, and peat moss.

G

If Feet’s doesn’t carry it,there is a place on Augusta rd in West Cola that has it.
    Last edited by KRT; 03-04-2018 at 06:32 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Super sod carries the big burlap totes. The kind a lift picks up

Dog food center in South Congaree had some good top soil last year. Haven't looked at it lately.
    I'll be there one day this week and check it out, I need some to start some grape Vines.
    Last edited by CurLee; 03-04-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Dixie mix. I worked for them for years when they first developed it. I have used it for years in top dressing raise beds etc. Wiley's bought it from Dixie and makes it now. If you get it try to get it when we haven't had alot of rain. Try to get a fresh batch. I don't give a damn what would you try to grow a tomato in it won't out do the Dixie mix.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Besides being the resident plumber, I think Turbo is our recreation backyard gardener as well.

If vegetative growth was good, the soil is good enough. Did you add any ferts to it??
    The mix was probably just heavy in nitrogen (manures). Don't discard what you bought just to buy other. Test it. Then amend with the real pros suggestion.

Also it helps to know what crops you are trying to produce. Good veg growth sounds perfect for quick young collards, kale, or salad greens. Also corn uses a lot of N... just some ideas for making lemonade from lemon dirt.
    Last edited by DoubleSprig; 03-04-2018 at 07:31 PM.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Stout Ollie is good to for maters and the rest of the goodies.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Stout Ollie’s is owned by a great guy.
    Grew up with him and they’ve really done well with it.

It’s all made right in Elloree with (among other ingredients) cotton trash from the Elloree Gin.

Stop by the old Elloree Elementary school and check em out. They bought the school when it was closed down and turned it into the compost factory.

Ask for Les or Mr Ray.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Get a soil test done. You may have good dirt but until you test it, you don't know what you have.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Call me, I gotchu

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Call me, I gotchu
    Roger that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk