Thread: Hybrid?

Default Hybrid?

By Dennis Pillion dpillion@al.com
    An extremely rare cardinal has birders and biologists flocking to Shelby County, Alabama this week, as images of a yellow cardinal have circulated around social media.

Auburn University biology professor Geoffrey Hill said the cardinal in the photos is an adult male in the same species as the common red cardinal, but carries a genetic mutation that causes what would normally be brilliant red feathers to be bright yellow instead.

Alabaster resident Charlie Stephenson first noticed the unusual bird at her backyard feeder in late January and posted about it on Facebook. She said she's been birding for decades but it took her some time to figure out what she was seeing.

"I thought 'well there's a bird I've never seen before'," Stephenson said. "Then I realized it was a cardinal, and it was a yellow cardinal."

Stephenson said she would not give out her address or specific location due to fears that people would flock in to get a look at the bird, but said she lives near the new Thompson High School in Alabaster. She shot some video of the bird, embedded below.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201..._cardinal.html

I crushed one just like that off the bird feeder last week. Didn't want him to crossbreed and diminish my Redbird's genetics .. I don't want to see any Orange Cardinals round here..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Why titled as "Hybrid?" when the article mentions genetic mutation? Cool bird.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Sigh......

And it is written, "the dorks will comest forth and reveal themselves through internet media"

-1st Timothy 16:10

Cool looking bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    And it is written, "the dorks will comest forth and reveal themselves through internet media"

-1st Timothy 16:10
    Spot on self fulfilling prophecy right there.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Thanks. I know.

Send him to Shane. Make him look real nice.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

It’d be awesome if some kid with a red Ryder rolled in there and plinked him off a feeder while a bunch of those hippies were looking on......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    It’d be awesome if some kid with a red Ryder rolled in there and plinked him off a feeder while a bunch of those hippies were looking on......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He'd be pretty mounted and placed in my front door's Christmas wreath

Goldfinch x Cardinal
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I killed a Different looking one when I was a boy. It was red but with white ends on its feathers. I kept in the freezer for years until hurricane Hugo killed the power and all my treasures had to go.