Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Octane boosters

Default Octane boosters

I am looking at motor options and a few of them call for 89 octane. I only know of 87 octane non ethanol around Beaufort. There might be some 89 at a few places that I haven’t found yet. If so, that makes the decision easy. I am leaning towards making the motor decision based on what will run 87 out of ignorance on the topic.

Does anyone add an octane booster for the same reason? How much of a pain is it?

SCducks can learn me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the Parker's in Port Royal has 91 octane non ethanol. corner of Paris ave. & Ribault Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by doe killer View Post
    I believe the Parker's in Port Royal has 91 octane non ethanol. corner of Paris ave. & Ribault Rd.
    I will check it out today. Right around the corner from me. Thanks

Nope and I run the shit out of 87 in my F300. Power is great, mileage has gone up and I’ve had zero fuel related issues.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Default Octane boosters

Bump.

22’ Bay Boat

150XB 87 octane

150 SHO 89 octane

200XB 89 octane

250xb 87 octane but significantly more expensive than the other 3.

Can a booster be added to 70 gallons of fuel that is reasonable to get to 89 octane?

Last edited by led0321; 02-26-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Dont think you need it.
    Last edited by reeltight; 02-26-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Dont think you need it.
    That’s my big question. I am going to call Yamaha when they open.

Lol, I called Yamaha due to the same exact reason. They suggest running correct octane with ethanol vs lower octane with out ethanol. All the parkers in Bluffton are 87 e free. Enmark on 278 had 93 e free, but they changed the sticker to 90 I believe.

F Yamaha and their nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    Lol, I called Yamaha due to the same exact reason. They suggest running correct octane with ethanol vs lower octane with out ethanol. All the parkers in Bluffton are 87 e free. Enmark on 278 had 93 e free, but they changed the sticker to 90 I believe.

Yeah, I ran 93 ethanol in mine until the fuel pump burned up at 150hrs. They replaced it under warranty. I've run non-ethanol 87 since. I have better fuel economy, better throttle response and have had zero issue since. Plus I don't have to worry about how much water has collected in my tank.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Bump.

22’ Bay Boat

150XB 87 octane

150 SHO 89 octane

200XB 89 octane

250xb 87 octane but significantly more expensive than the other 3.

Can a booster be added to 70 gallons of fuel that is reasonable to get to 89 octane?

Midgrade gas is accomplished at the pump by mixing 87 and 92/93 octane gas in equal amounts.

My Sho burns 89, which is readily available. I have mixed half and half to achieve the 89 octane.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post

I have read the entire internet it seems over the weekend and this is pretty much what I have found. There is some risk to running 87 in an engine rated for 89 with nocking and detonation from what I have seen. It also could void the warranty if you blow a hole in the piston. Now, apparently the motor will detune to run 87 but the risk is still there.

A lot of these boats are paired with the 150XB and guys love them. I am not a speed freak but I want to get on plane easy etc. Goin Coastal says the 150 will run that boat just fine and if I was to do an upgrade to do the 150 SHO but then the damn octane issue is back.

Hankel has a 227 on order but they ordered it with the 250 XB. I have no need and do not want to pay that extra cost. I have also read the 150 is probably better on gas at a cruising speed than the 250.

I will find out today if they can switch that 250XB to a 150XB. If they can I am just going to roll with the 227 and the 150XB. If not then I have to decide to roll with my 207 order or delay another 8 weeks for the 227. The 227 is a lot bigger and would be awesome for the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Midgrade gas is accomplished at the pump by mixing 87 and 92/93 octane gas in equal amounts.

My Sho burns 89, which is readily available. I have mixed half and half to achieve the 89 octane.

But finding ethanol free is my problem...

I have read the entire internet it seems over the weekend and this is pretty much what I have found. There is some risk to running 87 in an engine rated for 89 with nocking and detonation from what I have seen. It also could void the warranty if you blow a hole in the piston. Now, apparently the motor will detune to run 87 but the risk is still there.

A lot of these boats are paired with the 150XB and guys love them. I am not a speed freak but I want to get on plane easy etc. Goin Coastal says the 150 will run that boat just fine and if I was to do an upgrade to do the 150 SHO but then the damn octane issue is back.

Hankel has a 227 on order but they ordered it with the 250 XB. I have no need and do not want to pay that extra cost. I have also read the 150 is probably better on gas at a cruising speed than the 250.

I will find out today if they can switch that 250XB to a 150XB. If they can I am just going to roll with the 227 and the 150XB. If not then I have to decide to roll with my 207 order or delay another 8 weeks for the 227. The 227 is a lot bigger and would be awesome for the family.
    Blow a hole in a piston?

It's a bay boat. Not a fucking Allison.

Just run the 87 that is available to you, go catch some fish, and quit worrying about trivial shit.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Blow a hole in a piston?

It's a bay boat. Not a fucking Allison.

Just run the 87 that is available to you, go catch some fish, and quit worrying about trivial shit.
    Bo...it was on THT

That explains a lot.

Seriously, though.

You'll be fine.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post

I'd stop using my boats and sell them if it was that complicated.

Seriously...way too much thought going into this.
    Last edited by reeltight; 02-26-2018 at 08:36 AM.

I called Yamaha and they said 87 is fine, it just might degrade some power.

Once again, ducks was right.

This Hillbilly is sorry...

You weren't "wrong".

You just had bad information.

*That's what I usually tell myself.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

I called Yamaha and they said 87 is fine, it just might degrade some power.

Once again, ducks was right.

This Hillbilly is sorry...
    Hell, if it’s degraded the power on mine, I couldn’t tell you. It’ll run 57, same as ever with the 19p

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    You weren't "wrong".

You just had bad information.

*That's what I usually tell myself.
    I just don't want to void a warranty or some shit