Thread: Mini Duct HVAC System

Default Mini Duct HVAC System

Anyone here have experience with a mini duct HVAC system?

Wife and I are renovating a 130 year old house in the mountains with no HVAC, highs are typically around 80 in the summer with only a few days over that. I'm not a fan of the ductless units (aesthetically), and I'd rather run mini ducts over traditional ducts (from what I can tell reading online) as they're less 'intrusive' to install. The house currently has base board heaters with forced water for heat, works fine but will be removed when we install HVAC.

We put a mini split in the cabin, a Mitsubishi. It's pretty badassed
    Last edited by Highstrung; 02-24-2018 at 11:22 AM.

They are good. You don't have to get the units that hang on the wall. They also have ceiling flush mount. I'm a fan of the Mitsubishi myself. How many sqft are you trying to heat/cool?

There is also a guy on here that sells/works/engineers (can't remember) minisplits. I'll see if I can dig up his name. I have it in PM's somewhere.

Edit: I must have spoken to him further back than I remember. Can't find in PM's so it was pre- 2016. I'm sure he'll see this and respond though.
    Last edited by reeltight; 02-24-2018 at 11:26 AM.

3,000 sqft. Normal size rooms except the front room. It has 23’ +|- ceilings and relatively large. F4829667-9655-48C5-B364-6FAD13C16BE2.jpeg
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 02-24-2018 at 11:32 AM.

This is the type duct I’m referring too.

8588CC25-0393-47F4-BB03-5471445FE880.jpg

I'm not an expert on these by any means but I'd be weary of heating and cooling the tall ceiling room. Those type rooms are hell on a normal unit.

Think about it before removing those baseboard heaters. They may not be hip and fashionable, but if your hvac system goes down they may just save the day if you don’t have some other kind of backup heat to get you by until your system is repaired. Plus they are already there.
    Last edited by Bownut; 02-24-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    I'm not an expert on these by any means but I'd be weary of heating and cooling the tall ceiling room. Those type rooms are hell on a normal unit.

We installed a big fan in that room after that picture was taken, 77”. Heating and cooling that room isn’t a big deal, it’s not a living space, a really big hall for lack of a better term. Main interests are bedrooms, office, living room, kitchen, bathrooms, all regular sized rooms.

* there is also a fireplace in that room that will have has logs.
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 02-24-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Think about it before removing those baseboard heaters. They may not be hip and fashionable, but if your hvac system goes down they may just save the day if you don’t have some other kind of backup heat to get you by until your system is repaired.
    Didn’t think of that. Good point. I don’t mind the baseboard heaters, not a fan of the loud furnace though. I’m more against having ductless a/c units plastered to the wall.

You are wanting a high volicity system not minisplit. I have installed a few of these systems. The duct is small enough to fit between the 2x4 and 2x6 or 2x8 joist and usually open in a corner. They make decretave covers . we installed these in older homes. You will still have to have an AC outside unit for cooling. These systems are very expensive but work good in what you have in mine.

I was thinking they were the stand alone electric units with water filled tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayerjohn View Post
    You are wanting a high volicity system not minisplit. I have installed a few of these systems. The duct is small enough to fit between the 2x4 and 2x6 or 2x8 joist and usually open in a corner. They make decretave covers . we installed these in older homes. You will still have to have an AC outside unit for cooling. These systems are very expensive but work good in what you have in mine.

Yeah, those.

I’ve done some reading and I know it’s more expensive, but ball park, how much? Am I looking at double the cost of traditional duct system, more/less? I’ll be getting multiple quotes, but it’s probably going to be one of the last projects on the docket.

Looks like you gonna be in the market for some wallpaper too....lol

I do HVAC in the upstate. Yes they are almost double the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Looks like you gonna be in the market for some wallpaper too....lol
    Wall paper is the devil, and it’s all gone now thankfully.

Hahahahaha