Thread: One AR - Two Optics - And Return to Zero

Default One AR - Two Optics - And Return to Zero

I'm still mulling over this "hunting" AR plan, and have determined that I have two separate plans for a hunting set-up... A daytime to low (not no) light deer and maybe pig gun....... and a night hunting rig for pigs and coyotes. EVERYTHING about the gun side of the set up is the same, so I'm considering using ONE gun (to save money and safe space) and running two optics on it with QD mounts. That way, it ALL fits in one hard case. The scope I have is a Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-10x56, and I'm looking hard at the FLIR Thermosight Pro PTS233 for a night option (not going to use it past about 100 yards or so).

With quality QD mounts (LaRue in particular) and putting them in the same places on the rail each time, how reliable is the return to zero these days? Back when I first looked at QD mounts, it was not nearly as advanced as it is now.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Subscribed.

I'm interested in this.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I have been messing with the flir 233. I'm beyond impressed for the money. Would be easy to shoot beyond 100 with it. The QD mount returns to within an inch at 100 yards.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Exactly what I wanted to hear.

About to liquidate some stuff to make it happen soonish.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 02-21-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Not the same sight, but my eotech RD stays on when removed/replaced. Took a 150lb pig last weekend with it in the dark illuminated w a TLR-1 streamlight at 75 yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered a Pulsar Apex XQ50. After a good bit of research and talking with a few people, I believe the Pulsars are the best bang for the buck right now.

They have memory presets for three rifles/zero. I plan to put it in a ZRO Delta DLOC mount and run it on multiple platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have exactly what you are talking about, Larue mounts on a magnified scope and an EOTech for a dot scope. I have been extremely pleased with the repeat ability after swapping sights. I make sure I hold the scope forward while snugging down the mounts and they are always right on when I shoot.

One SBR lower, 2 uppers. I tried really hard to get comfortable swapping scopes, but in the end a second upper just worked better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by qlyrata View Post
    One SBR lower, 2 uppers. I tried really hard to get comfortable swapping scopes, but in the end a second upper just worked better for me.
    How did that work with the stamp process? Both the same caliber and length?

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    How did that work with the stamp process? Both the same caliber and length?
    From what I remember as long as you can go back to the original configuration on the application you can slap any upper you want on the lower.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I've always been paranoid about having an "unmounted" upper near my other (non-stamped) AR's, as a potential "constructive possession" issue. Especially since I don't have an AR pistol to blame it on.

I'm an accuracy nut and it took me forever to wrap my head around a mount being repeatable but I'll use today at the range for example. Short barrel .308 AR-10 with a 1-8 xtr in a spur mount. Zero at 100, removed flir 233 installed and zeroed as "gun 1". Removed and xtr reinstalled and still held zero. Short barrel 300bo zeroed with eotech, removed and installed flir 233 and zeroed as "gun 2". Removed and reconfirmed zero with eotech. Everything dead nuts. For shits and giggles i reinstalled the flir on both guns to confirm that the zero files had saved correctly and both were spot on. Then of course I reinstalled the daytime optics and rechecked them for zero.
    I honestly never thought I would see the day where they had this level of accuracy for something that can be removed and reinstalled but I am 100% confident in them. If you're interested in what the flir looks like I can record some video of pigs between now and the weekend. It's impressive to say the least and my only other thermal experience is with an/pas 13 units
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    From what I remember as long as you can go back to the original configuration on the application you can slap any upper you want on the lower.
    This will depend on if the serial number is listed as multi or a specific caliber

I'd love to see some video.

On the SBR subject I was told you can't list it as a "multi" anymore. I'm likely not going to do another SBR unless I do a 300 AAC "PDW" build with a Law Tactical side folder kit.

It works fine. It’s a .300 in both cases, with the same barrel length. Only difference is that one upper has a 3x9 scope and the other a red dot.

Can u post vid from phone?