Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beaufort County... Total plastic bag ban

As long as they're banning, ban helium balloons. I find those things all the time. On the positive side, a heart shaped one landed near my house on valentine's day. It was still half-inflated, so I gave it to my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    So how many times is this an option these days? When it's not an option do you reuse your paper bags and take them with you to the store?

Just wondering what changes you have made in your personal lifestyle to make a difference.
    I went mostly plastic about a decade ago. Since, I've kinda played around. My pints will be paper always, I like it that way because they seem to be the ones thrown aside the most. They'll decompose. I carry one large size in paper for mainly two reasons. A couple forestry guys want to see paper, and I use the bags to put birds in. Putting doves in plastic bags are trashy, they don't breathe. It's like you're poaching them on a hot September day. Look at all the nasty little bubbles building up in there if you do.

Plus these

20180220_080302.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I've always despised plastic grocery bags!
    We have a plastic endemic in this country and it needs to be addressed...
    Some people think we have a “gun problem” and want to ban those too. Same flawed logic that won’t fix the real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    So how many times is this an option these days? When it's not an option do you reuse your paper bags and take them with you to the store?

Just wondering what changes you have made in your personal lifestyle to make a difference.
    I of course I'm not 100% exempt of the use of plastic bags and don't claim to be. However, 99.9% of the time paper bags are available where I shop and I use them every single time available. I think most grocery stores began recognizing the problem a while ago and brought back more paper bags.
    As already mentioned we have a litter problem in this country! Can someone explain to me how the release of those helium balloons is even legal?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Litter comes from nasty people with a lack of respect, really of anything decent.

Can someone explain to me how the release of those helium balloons is even legal?
    The helium balloon lobby has really deep pockets.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Again, plastic bags aren't "a problem".

Some dick, who shall remain nameless, but I'll tell you that his name rhymes with highly and he used to be the mayor of Charleston, saw fit to fulfill a diversity item on the obama administration's wishlist, plopped a section 8 facility out on Main Road. This facility shares the entrance to my neighborhood so you can understand why I tell you in a most objective way that he's a dick. The short distance of road these people use to access Main is littered beyond belief. The city sends someone out there each month to pick up that trash. Meanwhile, our neighborhood is spotless.

I of course I'm not 100% exempt of the use of plastic bags and don't claim to be. However, 99.9% of the time paper bags are available where I shop and I use them every single time available. I think most grocery stores began recognizing the problem a while ago and brought back more paper bags.
    As already mentioned we have a litter problem in this country! Can someone explain to me how the release of those helium balloons is even legal?
    Wow, glad to hear more are offering paper. It's not really the case around here yet.

ETA: we don't use our own bags. We probably should look into it. The fabric bags are much easier to bring groceries in with.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I went mostly plastic about a decade ago. Since, I've kinda played around. My pints will be paper always, I like it that way because they seem to be the ones thrown aside the most. They'll decompose. I carry one large size in paper for mainly two reasons. A couple forestry guys want to see paper, and I use the bags to put birds in. Putting doves in plastic bags are trashy, they don't breathe. It's like you're poaching them on a hot September day. Look at all the nasty little bubbles building up in there if you do.
    I enjoyed the visual of someone trying to sip from a pint with a big plastic bag wrapped around it.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 02-20-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Fish that's as racists as saying "grape"

ImCan someone explain to me how the release of those helium balloons is even legal?
    Deebo spoke with P-nobe. P-nobe spoke with God. God spoke to P-nobe. Then P-nobe told Deebo to go forth and litter. Simple chain of command.

Nice work, G. You have some seriously legit photoshop skills.

Credit goes to tater on that one.

I have seen tons of strutter decoys littering the roadways. Outlaw them bastards
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

you can solve a part of the litter problem by making it legal to have an open beer in the truck again

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Wonder what they are going to make trash bags out of now? Hmmmm......
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Wonder why the industry can't come up with a practical, plant-based, plastic-type product that's truly biodegradable, instead of whining about how essential plastic is to modern life?

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Good.

Need to ban Clemson’s balloons next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How about those plastic balloons you can pick up in the woods all the time??

I see now where GMAC gave one to his wife. Nice guy. Cheap. But nice.
    Last edited by rp; 02-20-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Two balloons were discovered in the digestive tract of this sea turtle along with the balloon string.

Balloon debris can be harmful for wildlife, which may ingest or get entangled in it. Here, a sea turtle was found after ingesting balloon debris, likely mistaking it for food.

A loggerhead sea turtle was trapped in balloon until a passerby freed it off the coast

NOVEMBER 15, 2013

CLEMSON’S MASS BALLOON LITTERING EVENTS
    For over 30 years Clemson University has been trashing the Earth with balloons. It all started back in 1983 with their record-breaking release of 363,729 balloons. Proud of their “accomplishment,” they decided to make it a tradition to release balloons at every home football game, sending thousands of balloons to litter the world every time the players storm the field.

Over the years Clemson’s mass littering events have drawn much concern. The links included reveal the great lengths this South Carolina university has gone to defend and justify their school sanctioned littering.

Back in 2006, after receiving complaints, the president of CU asked for a report from Central Spirit. The report he received the following year was laden with balloon industry propaganda NS recited the balloon industry’s own bogus “study.” The 5-page report was said to have squashed the “litter controversy” and their balloons “pose no threat to the environment.” The administrative body approved the continuing release of the balloons.

In 2010, a group of Belton Elementary students proposed a bill to protect the state reptile: the loggerhead sea turtle. Some folks at Clemson were angered by the kids because the bill threatened to put an end to their celebratory pollution.

Then, the Creative Inquiry. Clemson would study distance traveled by balloons, their rate of degradation, the impact on animals from balloon consumption, and the public opinion of the balloon release.

Their 6-month study, completed in 2012, showed the balloons could travel hundreds of miles, they could take months to break down to a brittle stage and balloons submerged in water degraded more slowly, outlasting the study (the balloons in the river trial were lost after being “washed away”). Out of 5,600 tagged balloons, only 40 were found. 81% of the balloons retained their mass in large pieces, thus, “potentially posing a threat to wildlife.” The public opinion poll revealed balloon releases during pre-game were of less value to sports patrons than other aspects of the game day event NS 42% believed latex balloon releases are dangerous for the environment.

Despite all the information from their very own study and after killing 20 quail hens, 20 catfish, 15 sliders (turtles, which still had balloon remnants bunched in their guts) it was shocking to find their conclusion was: “This study did not indicate an observable impact on wildlife or the environment from latex balloon releases…”

In 8 days, at the last game of the season, Clemson Athletics will commence with their mass littering events. We believe it is high time Clemson University stop contributing to this.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post

Two balloons were discovered in the digestive tract of this sea turtle along with the balloon string.

Balloon debris can be harmful for wildlife, which may ingest or get entangled in it. Here, a sea turtle was found after ingesting balloon debris, likely mistaking it for food.

A loggerhead sea turtle was trapped in balloon until a passerby freed it off the coast

NOVEMBER 15, 2013

CLEMSON’S MASS BALLOON LITTERING EVENTS
    For over 30 years Clemson University has been trashing the Earth with balloons. It all started back in 1983 with their record-breaking release of 363,729 balloons. Proud of their “accomplishment,” they decided to make it a tradition to release balloons at every home football game, sending thousands of balloons to litter the world every time the players storm the field.

Over the years Clemson’s mass littering events have drawn much concern. The links included reveal the great lengths this South Carolina university has gone to defend and justify their school sanctioned littering.

Back in 2006, after receiving complaints, the president of CU asked for a report from Central Spirit. The report he received the following year was laden with balloon industry propaganda NS recited the balloon industry’s own bogus “study.” The 5-page report was said to have squashed the “litter controversy” and their balloons “pose no threat to the environment.” The administrative body approved the continuing release of the balloons.

In 2010, a group of Belton Elementary students proposed a bill to protect the state reptile: the loggerhead sea turtle. Some folks at Clemson were angered by the kids because the bill threatened to put an end to their celebratory pollution.

Then, the Creative Inquiry. Clemson would study distance traveled by balloons, their rate of degradation, the impact on animals from balloon consumption, and the public opinion of the balloon release.

Their 6-month study, completed in 2012, showed the balloons could travel hundreds of miles, they could take months to break down to a brittle stage and balloons submerged in water degraded more slowly, outlasting the study (the balloons in the river trial were lost after being “washed away”). Out of 5,600 tagged balloons, only 40 were found. 81% of the balloons retained their mass in large pieces, thus, “potentially posing a threat to wildlife.” The public opinion poll revealed balloon releases during pre-game were of less value to sports patrons than other aspects of the game day event NS 42% believed latex balloon releases are dangerous for the environment.

Despite all the information from their very own study and after killing 20 quail hens, 20 catfish, 15 sliders (turtles, which still had balloon remnants bunched in their guts) it was shocking to find their conclusion was: “This study did not indicate an observable impact on wildlife or the environment from latex balloon releases…”

In 8 days, at the last game of the season, Clemson Athletics will commence with their mass littering events. We believe it is high time Clemson University stop contributing to this.
    Think about if this article had been written on November 27, 2016. I guess that was mostly just firework trash
    Last edited by trkykilr; 02-20-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands