Thread: 1926-27 Hunting license

Default 1926-27 Hunting license

My brother passed this on to me and I thought it was pretty interesting. Our grandfather's hunting license from 1926-27 for Sumter County SC. He was 21 years old at the time, and passed away back in 1993. This apparently showed up among his things recently, and I will display it proudly in my office.

I wonder of Mergie might have had one of these?

IMG_20180.jpg
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

That is an amazing keepsake. However, for those that think hunting licenses are too expensive here is a cautionary tale. Adjusted for 2018 dollars, that $1.10 is the equivilent of $27.54. Would you pay twice as much as a statewide license today to hunt in one county? Really?!? MG

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

P.S. 5' 10" and only 137 lbs? Maybe a bit of inflation in that area these days too.
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 02-19-2018 at 03:37 PM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    That is an amazing keepsake. However, for those that think hunting licenses are too expensive here is a cautionary tale. Adjusted for 2018 dollars, that $1.10 is the equivilent of $500.74. Would you pay $500 to your county to hunt? Really?!? MG

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

P.S. 5' 10" and only 137 lbs? Maybe a bit of inflation in that area these days too.

I just used that calculator and came up with $15.67 ... What am I missing?

Someone forgot to click "calculate"

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I just used that calculator and came up with $15.67 ... What am I missing?
    Yep forgot to hit calculate but when I did it was $27.54. Still almost twice what we pay for a statewide license today. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

1926 @ $1.10 = $15.40

That's not old enough for Mergie. Cool stuff

Mergie's got a lifetime stone tablet license in his back pocket.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Mergie's got a lifetime stone tablet license in his back pocket.
    Signed by Moses himself.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Anybody got any of the old pinback license holders? Have two from around the time of that license.

When I started hunting back in mid 1950's, I had to carry a one dollar bill to pay the fine for tressprssing.

Earlier this year, I bought a hunting , including big game, state waterfowl stamp, WMA permit, freshwater and saltwater license for $9.00.

Did I mention that's for a lifetime license too?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Catdaddy mus' be turned 64 this year. Welcome to the club!!

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...27m+64+beatles
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

very cool piece

Me and mergie had hunting license carved in a stone tablet .we also used to buy the t-rex permit for ten cents.
    if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.....

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Anybody got any of the old pinback license holders? Have two from around the time of that license.
    I have a couple from my Grandfather...

5'10 and 137lbs
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    5'10 and 137lbs
    He was small, but he could put two bales of cotton up on a flat bed trailer, then put a third up on top of them. I remember as a teenager, seeing him pick up stuff and move it around like nothing....and I would try and could not even lift one end off the ground. He was a tough, strong little man.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    He was small, but he could put two bales of cotton up on a flat bed trailer, then put a third up on top of them. I remember as a teenager, seeing him pick up stuff and move it around like nothing....and I would try and could not even lift one end off the ground. He was a tough, strong little man.
    I don't doubt it one bit. It's amazing to see the difference between back then and now.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14