Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 Gauge Over Under for the wife

Default 20 Gauge Over Under for the wife

Gun would be used a few times per year, shooting clay targets (most often), doves and quail on occasion.

She's 5'2" and full size guns don't fit here. She's also a bit recoil sensitive. She did fine with a 20 gauge auto this past weekend but she wants an over under.

Under $750 would be ideal.

Suggestions?

Savage/Stevens 555 compact
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

I'd try to find a Browning Citori Micro Lightning. You likely won't find one for $750 though.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I found a lightly used beretta silver snipe in 20ga that my wife loves. Its great for field or skeet, but does not have screw in chokes.

Paid 350 at Cabelas, they can be found regularly in the $450-500 range.

Cheap enough that you could also have fitted.

Got a Franchi Diamond 28ga, you could have the stock cut and a recoil pad put on, I’d let go for $750. New condition. I was going to let my wife shoot it but she can shoot something else.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 02-19-2018 at 01:53 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'm in Florida, so likely not an option.

My next question was going to be should I get her a 20 or 28 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    I'd try to find a Browning Citori Micro Lightning. You likely won't find one for $750 though.
    In Columbia at Barron's they have one "used" that was not shot because it was too heavy. Go figure. It is more than 750 but a great looking gun and worth it.

Otherwise, Id look for some CZ's for that price.

Maybe the gun I saw was a Berretta.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

what length barrel should I be looking into?

I own the stevens 555 compact 20 and highly recommend it. retails for $599.
    \"Go to Know\"

check the academy yildiz o/u's Like $449
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Stoeger condors are a good gun. A buddy's daughter of mine shoots one for sporting clays, trap, etc. He shoots it dove hunting every so often. Very nice fun for the money. Normally right around $500 after taxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably don't want to hear this but don't get her an over/under. Get a Beretta Auto in 20 ga. It's lightweight and will be easier on recoil.

I see guys buying their kids/wives over/under when they are better served with an auto at a lower cost. The 20 ga will be harsh on recoil and just beat her up. Not to mention costly if you get a decent over/under.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    You probably don't want to hear this but don't get her an over/under. Get a Beretta Auto in 20 ga. It's lightweight and will be easier on recoil.

I see guys buying their kids/wives over/under when they are better served with an auto at a lower cost. The 20 ga will be harsh on recoil and just beat her up. Not to mention costly if you get a decent over/under.
    There is no need to second a gun expert,

But i agree wholeheartedly. o/u have no capacity to limit recoil other than a pad. A gas automatic will take up some recoil and be much more enjoyable for her to shoot. My wife has a 20 gauge Gold hunter. Shoots like a dream.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Thank you for the responses. 20 gauge auto is what I'll look for.

Gots another question.

Would a heavier 12 gauge over under reduce the recoil if shooting say 7/8 oz, #8 shot.

Go with an auto. Nothing in an over and under to reduce recoil unless you want to put money in stock. Yes heavier will reduce but not that much.

Yes. A 12 gauge auto will reduce it even more. My 390 and 391 have had thousands of 7/8 oz loads run thru them. My 391 with a 7/8 oz load kicks less that my 1100 LT 20 with similar load.
    Last edited by FLS; 02-20-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Have her try both a 20 and a 12 and let her decide. Most have no problem managing a 12 ga.

My wife is 5' and 125lbs. She has always shot a 20ga and was shooting a 20ga youth Charles Daly up until this year. I bought a Beretta A300 Outlander this year and let her try it with all the stock spacers removed. She loves the gun!! She was shooting 3" Kent Faststeel 1 1/8oz loads and even though it kicked she was able to handle it with no trouble. I'd imagine with 2 3/4" dove loads it'll be a dream for her!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I'm not trading my wife for a shotgun period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?