Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: McMaster vs Smith? Ducktape?

Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    With all due respect DT, you as a Republican, went against the grain in the past. You essentially said that your stance was based on your conscience. This seems to run through the same vein of your opinion, in that the confederate flag was responsible or had a direct influence on violence. How is this different in your eyes now? Don’t get me wrong, I have my own personal views about the flag, but I also believe in objectivity. I respect my mother’s opinion and feelings because of her experiences but I also respect those who genuinely who look at it as a part of their heritage; devoid of hate, ignorance, and bigotry. Unfortunately, there are too many hateful people that have used that flag in such a way that there isn’t probably a way to reconcile that stigma.

Ultimately, how do you address this to your peers versus your constituents without appearing to cater to one group privately and another publicly?
    I have gone against the grain several times. There were 20 votes to leave the flag up.

Conservatives will disagree on policy 1/10 times. Something has shaped our opinion through our experiences. I was raised in a strict southern baptist home with the best parents possible. I am happy to have had that environment. I would make the same vote today.

The point of my post was the James Smith is a democrat and votes as a democrat. This gun issue is just one of those votes. I have watched him for 12 years. He votes as a democrat.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I have gone against the grain several times. There were 20 votes to leave the flag up.

Conservatives will disagree on policy 1/10 times. Something has shaped our opinion through our experiences. I was raised in a strict southern baptist home with the best parents possible. I am happy to have had that environment. I would make the same vote today.

The point of my post was the James Smith is a democrat and votes as a democrat. This gun issue is just one of those votes. I have watched him for 12 years. He votes as a democrat.
    Thanks for the prompt response.
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie