Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth deer day

Default Youth deer day

The house passed a bill moving youth buck hunting from the end of the season to the week before buck season opens which varies in each game zone.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

How about does the week after the season goes out?

Is that the same?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

The only day will be before the season.

A BILL
    TO AMEND SECTION 50-9-740, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES YOUTH HUNTING DAYS, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT YOUTH HUNTERS FIFTEEN YEARS OF AGE AND UNDER MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY A LICENSED ADULT ON A YOUTH HUNTING DAY AND TO PROVIDE THAT THE LICENSE AND TAG REQUIREMENT IS WAIVED FOR A YOUTH HUNTER ON A YOUTH HUNTING DAY.

Amend Title To Conform

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Section 50-9-740 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:

"Section 50-9-740. (A) The department may select one or more days to designate as a 'South Carolina Youth Hunting Day', in addition to the regular seasons for a species of wild game. A youth hunting day must be held outside a regular season on a weekend, holiday, or other nonschool day when a youth hunter may have the maximum opportunity to participate. A day must be held on the Saturday before the regular Game Zone season framework for hunting antlered deer only. The daily bag limit on this day is one antlered deer. For all other game, the day may be held up to fourteen days before or after a regular season framework or within a split of a regular season, or within another open season.

(B) A person who is less than eighteen years of age may be a youth hunter. Youth hunters who have not completed the hunter education program pursuant to Section 50-9-310 who hunt on a statewide youth hunting day must be accompanied by an adult who is at least twenty-one years of age. The adult may not harvest or attempt to harvest game during this special hunting event. A license or tag requirement pursuant to this chapter is waived for a youth hunter on a youth hunting day. A daily harvest limit remains the same as allowed during regular seasons for each species of game."

SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

This makes sense

I would not trade watching my son bust a nanny just about every youth day in January up until he turned 18. Its a shame that won't be happening anymore.
    I am not real sure about the reason for this change, but I don't like it.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

This is to encourage youth to get involved with hunting when they have the best opportunity too be successful. Certainly you can find a date in a 4 month hunting window to allow your son to shoot a doe.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    I would not trade watching my son bust a nanny just about every youth day in January up until he turned 18. Its a shame that won't be happening anymore.
    I am not real sure about the reason for this change, but I don't like it.
    Agreed.
    And the buck will be in velvet.

I suspect with the heat you will have less youths going.

I'd be ok with adding that day, but not taking the other away.

Has the senate voted?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Can you be more successful when you can shoot either sex, or when you can only shoot bucks? My son hunted on about 8-9 youth days in January, and was successful in all but maybe one of them. But he is over 18 now, so for us it does not matter. Maybe I just don't like change. But that one last hunt in January after the season was over was always pretty special.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

School has just started back most kids are in beach/lake mode for that last little bit of fun in the sun.

I don't see this being the encourager it is meant to be.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

While does are fun, bucks are what we prize.

I wonder how much time and effort when into this change. Time that could have actually been spent on something important, instead of changing stuff just to change it.

Wow, an early August day. Sounds like fun. With an already 4 1/2 month season in some places someone can't find one day to take a kid hunting? Sad.

This is a good thought, but eliminating their ability to shoot does is not giving them a better opportunity to kill a deer.

Y'all could fuck up a wet dream, the general assembly that is......
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 02-16-2018 at 07:57 AM.

An try to justify it, when the folks they represent don't like it and tell them why.

Some of those idiots up there might just be geniuses, but not a one of them has a lick of common sense. We need to fire every one of them, all the way up to governor, and elect a bunch of small farmers, construction workers, trash truck drivers, and people who actually have to work for a living and have common sense that would apply to the normal, common man. The whole world is falling apart around us, and they are changing the date of youth day.

Now, you get to go home and brag to your friends and online buddies that you actually accomplished something. You got something passed, even if it is unimportant and does NOTHING for our state or society. For the love of God, y'all grab your balls and make some changes that are actually important. Or don't, but do not try to act like you have.

Wow, our season is too early as it is. The hunting is getting good come January youth day.

I don't really see the need but I'm just a commoner.

Some will hunt with fancy cutoff jean shorts.

Of all the important shit in the state, roads, education, etc, etc, etc, they voted to change the youth freaking deer day.