Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Turkey Sunset

I guess I am missing the point some are trying to make here? The whole intent of changing turkey regs was to limit harvest for a specific group, that's what I read into every harvest report since I can remember.

Turkey Harvest reports:
    3 tag seasons
    2017:"However, it is interesting to note the relative contribution to the total harvest of turkeys by the few hunters that harvest 3 birds. Ironically, the percentage of hunters taking 3 birds was only 2.9 percent, however, this small percentage of hunters harvested an estimated 28 percent of the total birds taken in the state"
    2016:"Ironically, the percentage of hunters taking 3 birds was only 3.5 percent, however, this small percentage of hunters harvested 27 percent of the total birds taken in the state"
    5 tag seasons
    2015:"Ironically, the percentage of hunters taking more than 3 birds was only 2.2 percent, however, this small percentage of hunters harvested 25 percent of the total birds taken in the state "
    2014:"Ironically, the percentage of hunters taking more than 3 birds was only 2.5 percent, however, this small percentage of hunters harvested 26 percent of the total birds taken in the state"
    2013:"Ironically, the percentage of hunters taking more than 3 birds was only 2.5 percent, however, this small percentage of hunters harvested 32 percent of the total birds taken in the state"
    2012:"Ironically, the percentage of hunters taking more than 3 birds was only 3.7 percent, however, this small percentage of hunters harvested 33 percent of the total birds taken in the state"
    2011:"Ironically, the percentage of hunters taking more than 3 birds was only 3.3 percent, however, this small percentage of hunters harvested 30 percent of the total birds taken in the state"
    2010:"Ironically, the percentage of hunters taking more than 3 birds was only 2.6%, however, this small percentage of hunters harvested 22% of the total birds taken in the state"
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Correct. The number of doe tags your property received was based on the size of the tract and the deer population. There was some number of counties that had a 2 bird limit, but the individual hunter still received 5 tags.

I still stand by my statement that DNR wants a 3 bird limit and the month of April as the season.
    I followed close for years and agree. The length and timing of the season was a change by the legislators as not to cut the number of days low country could hunt. The biologist liked the reduction in the limit but not the season changed especially in the Upstate. The pretty much had a gag order on them because the director liked the compromise. Again look at WMA to see what DNR wanted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ok I got that, 30 day season was preferred but the tag reduction was the main goal from the DNR all along. I always said Charles Ruth would make a deal with the devil himself to get that and it appears that's exactly what happened. I don't mean to speak in absolutes, some of this is strong opinion, but I did correspond directly with Charles Ruth via emails around 2012 or thereabouts. He plainly stated his position on turkeys and having never supporting 5 tags from the beginning. I suggested other ideas about trying to limit jake harvest in some way, maybe no more than two tags could be used for that. That idea was discounted. When I asked how a tag reduction could resolve recruitment issues he plainly stated "it is all we have left to try".

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

So I guess I am saying this was coming no matter how you spin it, upstate hunters mad at lowstate hunters and GA reps for the season date changes, lowstate hunters mad at upstate hunters for not allowing deer baiting vice versa or whatever. The can opened.

The decrease in populations would be the root cause for changed. Inability to deal with change in SC has many pieces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post
    I love hunting. I hate politics. This entire conversation makes me want to throw up.
    i'm with stupid.

then, add a rep who keeps telling us we have a voice....and I get sicker.

PLUS, add in people that want 5 birds and 45 days....and I might die.

NO one will like the DNR making decisions based on sound science if it doesnt jive with their beliefs. At least this way, we can blame in on the "government."

And, DT, I know its not YOUR fault...but to think the average citizen has a potential to change policy by showing up to a meeting on a bill and....well, you know the answer.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

How about all those trapped and sold to Texas for their restocking purposes? Time to get some return don't you think.

I don't claim to know it all but 1 thing I do know is the properties I have access to in the upstate are at all time highs as far as population goes. All the while the same areas are growing in industry and business. One would think the turkeys would move on once the woods are gone but from what I've seen the birds are getting urbanized as much as the deer are.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i'm with stupid.

then, add a rep who keeps telling us we have a voice....and I get sicker.

PLUS, add in people that want 5 birds and 45 days....and I might die.

NO one will like the DNR making decisions based on sound science if it doesnt jive with their beliefs. At least this way, we can blame in on the "government."

And, DT, I know its not YOUR fault...but to think the average citizen has a potential to change policy by showing up to a meeting on a bill and....well, you know the answer.
    I have some pull in the house with members, especially wildlife issues. I can't do it alone.

I seek your opinions and ask for your help. That is all I can do.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

You can wear women's jeans pretty well too

Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post
    I love hunting. I hate politics. This entire conversation makes me want to throw up.
    Yes sir.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/