Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: My Hog Bass - 10 pounder!

  1. #21
    Mergie Master's Avatar
    Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Saluca (not Saluda)
    Posts
    69,321

    Default

    "I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." ▬ Edmund Ruffin

    "No law ever written has stopped any robber, rapist or killer, like cold blue steel in the hands of their last intended victim." --W. Emerson Wright

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    West by God SC
    Posts
    1,356

    Default

    Merg,
    Back in the cassette track days my Wife went to a recording studio and did that song for her Father. On Father's day she knelt at his feet and played it. I was a young punk kid at the time and like most here just simply didn't know how to deal with that emotional display. Got so dang uncomfortable that I almost bolted for the door but after a few minutes I began to appreciate it for what it was. Looking back I must say I admire her for that. I also very much miss that small stature fella who was a mountain of man in character. Having a grown daughter of my own now makes me appreciate it even more.
    Worship the LORD, not His creation.
    "Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son." -Dad
    "Changing hats, rattling a little bag of bones, dancing a jig on one foot and hunting four leaf clovers tonight so maybe I can get on a big tom in the morning."-Me
    Look quick, limited time posting.

  3. #23
    Mergie Master's Avatar
    Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Saluca (not Saluda)
    Posts
    69,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Merg,
    Back in the cassette track days my Wife went to a recording studio and did that song for her Father. On Father's day she knelt at his feet and played it. I was a young punk kid at the time and like most here just simply didn't know how to deal with that emotional display. Got so dang uncomfortable that I almost bolted for the door but after a few minutes I began to appreciate it for what it was. Looking back I must say I admire her for that. I also very much miss that small stature fella who was a mountain of man in character. Having a grown daughter of my own now makes me appreciate it even more.
    That is superb!!! That's a smart girl that knows what her dad did for her and she appreciates it, so she showed him. Everyone should show theirs this kind of appreciation before it's too late. Just because they've been here all our life doesn't mean they will be here for the rest of our life.

    We do change a lot and having children will make you change how you see things real fast. Wisdom come with experience and experience comes with time. It takes some of us so-called hard-asses a little longer but we usually turn out more wise than the rest. I remember when I got to the age I thought I was smarter than my dad. I felt that way until I realized my son was doing it with me. I went to my dad and told him I was sorry for those times and all the stupid ego driven arguments. Then I hugged him and told him how important he had been to me and how much I loved him. He got a little misty and so did I. Dad was a man of few words but I learned later other saw how wise he was. At his funeral a pastor we had at our church for about 10 years and had moved to another church (I think in the Lowcountry) a few years before dad passed, spoke. He came back to speak at dad's funeral. He said dad was the wisest man he had ever met. He said when he was having an issue at church he regularly called dad and talked to him about it. After he moved to another church he continued to do the same thing. He said that dad's wisdom had helped him be a "better pastor for many years". Dad had never been a preacher he was just blessed with wisdom. Later two of my old buddies that I grew up with stood up and said the same thing. One had been calling him for years asking him for personal advice and the other had been going by the house and sitting on the screened in porch seeking wisdom from dad. I had no idea these guys were talking to dad. He never talked about what other talked him about. I was kind of jealous. Heck I didn't know the pastor had been talking to him. Mom said she knew it but dad never told her anything about what was said. Mom is old school so she said, "It was man stuff at the church. None of my business."

    To say I was proud of him at his funeral would be the understatement of the ages. And to think there was a time when I thought I was smarter than him. I was a sad fool.

    How can anyone think they know more about life than the man who taught them all they know? I was also stupid.
    "I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." ▬ Edmund Ruffin

    "No law ever written has stopped any robber, rapist or killer, like cold blue steel in the hands of their last intended victim." --W. Emerson Wright

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    goose creek
    Posts
    863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    That is superb!!! That's a smart girl that knows what her dad did for her and she appreciates it, so she showed him. Everyone should show theirs this kind of appreciation before it's too late. Just because they've been here all our life doesn't mean they will be here for the rest of our life.

    We do change a lot and having children will make you change how you see things real fast. Wisdom come with experience and experience comes with time. It takes some of us so-called hard-asses a little longer but we usually turn out more wise than the rest. I remember when I got to the age I thought I was smarter than my dad. I felt that way until I realized my son was doing it with me. I went to my dad and told him I was sorry for those times and all the stupid ego driven arguments. Then I hugged him and told him how important he had been to me and how much I loved him. He got a little misty and so did I. Dad was a man of few words but I learned later other saw how wise he was. At his funeral a pastor we had at our church for about 10 years and had moved to another church (I think in the Lowcountry) a few years before dad passed, spoke. He came back to speak at dad's funeral. He said dad was the wisest man he had ever met. He said when he was having an issue at church he regularly called dad and talked to him about it. After he moved to another church he continued to do the same thing. He said that dad's wisdom had helped him be a "better pastor for many years". Dad had never been a preacher he was just blessed with wisdom. Later two of my old buddies that I grew up with stood up and said the same thing. One had been calling him for years asking him for personal advice and the other had been going by the house and sitting on the screened in porch seeking wisdom from dad. I had no idea these guys were talking to dad. He never talked about what other talked him about. I was kind of jealous. Heck I didn't know the pastor had been talking to him. Mom said she knew it but dad never told her anything about what was said. Mom is old school so she said, "It was man stuff at the church. None of my business."

    To say I was proud of him at his funeral would be the understatement of the ages. And to think there was a time when I thought I was smarter than him. I was a sad fool.

    How can anyone think they know more about life than the man who taught them all they know? I was also stupid.
    Well said Mergie, well said
    Last edited by mrtroy4man; 02-15-2018 at 10:27 PM.
    every expert was once a beginner

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Kirksey
    Posts
    6,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    It will be a year this coming Saturday that a good family friend of ours was laid to rest. His daughter had that song played at th funeral and I thought it was a perfect fit for him.

    As far as your dad goes, well you know what church I grew up in so I remember him to an extent. But I remember your mom came by the house one day when I was a kid to being my mom something and your dad was with her. I remember your dad, my dad, and myself standing out on the back deck and I got to listen to a long conversation betwewn the two of them about quail hunting.
    Houndsmen are born, not made.

    "But with county boys, pedigree in dogs is largely a matter of academic interest. Pretty is as pretty does." - Havilah Babcock

    Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Duck Cutter knows whats up.

  6. #26
    Mergie Master's Avatar
    Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Saluca (not Saluda)
    Posts
    69,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    It will be a year this coming Saturday that a good family friend of ours was laid to rest. His daughter had that song played at th funeral and I thought it was a perfect fit for him.

    As far as your dad goes, well you know what church I grew up in so I remember him to an extent. But I remember your mom came by the house one day when I was a kid to being my mom something and your dad was with her. I remember your dad, my dad, and myself standing out on the back deck and I got to listen to a long conversation between the two of them about quail hunting.
    That sounds like dad. He loved bird hunting and taught me to love it too. I remember those days of following the pointers through the broom straw fields with him. I remember it right down to the tickle weeds crawling up inside my pants leg. Sometimes I would have to drop my pants the get the things out near my drawers. When I did that dad would say, "If I've told you once I've told you a dozen times to tuck your pants legs under your socks." I was stubborn or a little stupid I reck'n, but I finally caught on.
    "I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." ▬ Edmund Ruffin

    "No law ever written has stopped any robber, rapist or killer, like cold blue steel in the hands of their last intended victim." --W. Emerson Wright

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,629

    Default

    Ive seen it all now, we went from a 10lb bass, to weird hands, which is weird, to a song that has good meaning but just sucks, to quail hunting, then tickle weeds tickling mergies balls. This thread has it all.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Branchville
    Posts
    3,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Ive seen it all now, we went from a 10lb bass, to weird hands, which is weird, to a song that has good meaning but just sucks, to quail hunting, then tickle weeds tickling mergies balls. This thread has it all.
    Ain't nobody mentioned hotdogs yet.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

    Thomas Jefferson

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    Ain't nobody mentioned hotdogs yet.
    I had a birddog for lunch.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Kirksey
    Posts
    6,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    I had a birddog for lunch.
    NH?
    Houndsmen are born, not made.

    "But with county boys, pedigree in dogs is largely a matter of academic interest. Pretty is as pretty does." - Havilah Babcock

    Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Duck Cutter knows whats up.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Not trying to hijack, but....this was a 5lber
    Attachment 33767
    Gator.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    NH?
    The one and only.

  13. #33
    jwilliams's Avatar
    jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sumter
    Posts
    16,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Tigernet is like Porn to DABoIII. He NEVER makes it to the end

  14. #34
    jwilliams's Avatar
    jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sumter
    Posts
    16,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Ive seen it all now, we went from a 10lb bass, to weird hands, which is weird, to a song that has good meaning but just sucks, to quail hunting, then tickle weeds tickling mergies balls. This thread has it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Tigernet is like Porn to DABoIII. He NEVER makes it to the end

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    14,127

    Default

    I put my sons on these specks, each was a new state record.
    The kids are 8 ft tall and I took that pic with my cell phone from across the parking lot
    578121_782033328479640_25593461_n.jpg
    "I am going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years"


  16. #36
    Mergie Master's Avatar
    Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Saluca (not Saluda)
    Posts
    69,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Ive seen it all now, we went from a 10lb bass, to weird hands, which is weird, to a song that has good meaning but just sucks, to quail hunting, then tickle weeds tickling mergies balls. This thread has it all.
    "I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." ▬ Edmund Ruffin

    "No law ever written has stopped any robber, rapist or killer, like cold blue steel in the hands of their last intended victim." --W. Emerson Wright

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I put my sons on these specks, each was a new state record.
    The kids are 8 ft tall and I took that pic with my cell phone from across the parking lot
    578121_782033328479640_25593461_n.jpg
    hahaha that had me laughing

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pawleys Island
    Posts
    28,108

    Default

    This one was 800#, I used Kayakfuckchops minnows for bait. Nah, just kidding it was about 200-250 on the boga but I still used his minnows for bait.

    A626806F-F6F8-491F-9E64-95C83EF39E39.jpg
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.


    You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Branchville
    Posts
    3,712

    Default

    She dwarfs the jolly green giant. That's a 2 inche cable and half a battle ship anchor converted into a hook. We couldn't find scales big enough to weigh it on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

    Thomas Jefferson

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •