View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the outlawing of male turkey decoys?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would support outlawing all male turkey decoys

30 17.14%
  • I would not support outlawing male turkey decoys

34 19.43%
  • I would rather outlaw male decoys than cut the limit

20 11.43%
  • I would support outlawing fanning/reaping only

13 7.43%
  • I hate new laws

78 44.57%
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Outlawing male turkey decoys

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    It don't matter if it's corn, acorns, a green field or chufa. IMO it's a preferred food source that anchors the hens. In the context of the conversation corn feeders were being discussed. Folks use feeders to try to make a preferred food source in a preferred location. I don't care what you do as long as it's legal. Just be honest about why you do it if you feel the need to discuss it.
    If you pre-season feed for turkeys and it makes no difference then why do you do it?

About 15 years ago I tried to make a "turkey" food plot in a nondescript place (a few water oaks and mostly trash trees) where I regularly saw turkeys during deer season but they always disappeared come spring time. That year I raked leaves and broadcast seed and raked it in around mid February. Went back in mid March and found that spot literally torn to shreds. I was scared to hunt the place till mid April. Killed two long beards in there and saw more turkeys than the previous 5-6 years. Next year I didn't do squat and turkeys were nonexistent come spring. That's another isolated event but enough for me to form an opinion. Am sure there are other factors but I don't pre-season feed (or sow seed or anything else) where I plan to hunt. Just not worth worrying over. I'd rather hunt them were they naturally want to be but that's me. Ditto for deer. Good luck with however you want to hunt.
    Turkeys have been at the same places way before we started running feeders pre-season!
    Acorns are typically gone and food is scarce late winter around here and it is the SOLE reason we ever started running them pre-season.
    Most of our feeders are now empty or damn near it now.
    Do they feed on em....absolutely but as you can see it's not an "addictive" thing.
    Turkeys are still gonna turkey and like Paul, I have the opinion that they are not habitual around them to the point of offering an advantage during the season.
    I will kill my 3 birds this year and none of them will be "influenced" by an empty feeder!
    Paul will kill NONE, feeders or not so carry on!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I get my turkeys at Harris Teeter

Cali,
    I don't give a rip about your feeders. No need to justify them. Sounds like you pre-season feed to keep turkeys from roaming to find another food source till it greens up where you are hunting.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Cali,
    I don't give a rip about your feeders. No need to justify them. Sounds like you pre-season feed to keep turkeys from roaming to find another food source till it greens up where you are hunting.

Nu uh, bo. He feeds em corn because of the nutritional value it has, longer beards and spurs.
    Last edited by Arrowman; 02-28-2018 at 03:49 PM.

I like my butter balls fat!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Cali,
    Of course holding birds is motive!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    I run feeders year round for deer. I do not turkey hunt on the property where I run the feeders. I have, for the last 10 years, had an abundance of turkeys on the property from October-January, both at my feeders and in the food plots. But every year, these turkeys disappear around the middle of February and I never see them or get pictures of them again until around October. Nothing different on the property that I am aware of, they just move.

I am not arguing with those above who believe that running feeders will keep them around, just saying that the fact that my feeders run year round has not kept the turkeys on the property that I deer hunt on.
    Same on my property. The turkeys leave every year before I stop feeding. They have or now moving to the pastures. Small sample but has been consistent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If I want to plant something specifically to give turkeys the highest quality food source for most of the year, it's gonna be clover.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

i dont have turkeys under my feeders during deer season.
    I wont hardly SEE a turkey in the fall. My birds are swamp birds and honestly dont visit open fields much until the spring.

I dont want to argue with Spur because he has been on his man period for a couple months and I dont wanna argue with cali bc he's gonna take me turkey hunting this decade....but my opinion is I see birds in march bc the hens are looking for spots to nest and they dont wanna nest in water. so, they come "up the hill" and are more visible to me and other hunters on my property so they can nest where it doesnt flood.

I reckon they walk right past a few feeders and dont seem addicted at all.

Have a pleasant day.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You know better 2th. This ain't an argument for me, just a discussion and sharing opinions. Everyone has one. It's ok to have difference of opinion and doesn't mean you have to hate someone for it. I may think you are a dumbass but even Red Foreman didn't always say it when he thought it.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Whether Asbill is a dumbass or not is debatable. Their is no debate that when you are in his dental chair that he is one sadistic mutha fucker!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    O Lord here comes the Fag Club members. What do ya'll do text each other about my threads? You guys are like a gang of thugs.
    There is no gang. I think folks have called you out because you are wrong. When you relate your opinions and observations, and that opinion has been overwhelmingly debunked by folks that spend far more time in the woods and have far more knowledge on the subject matter, maybe thats the time you choose to plant your flag somewhere else.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

#NoGang

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    #NoGang
    Sometimes I post in threads just to make sure that you are still alive. If you don't reply in 10 minutes, my plan is to send an ambulance to your house. I've never had to enact my plan
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Headed your way

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Of course holding birds is motive!
    Thanks. That is exactly what I was talking about, holding birds in an area. Good luck this spring.

Thanks. That is exactly what I was talking about, holding birds in an area. Good luck this spring.
    It will be a good one!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    there is no gang. I think folks have called you out because you are wrong. When you relate your opinions and observations, and that opinion has been overwhelmingly debunked by folks that spend far more time in the woods and have far more knowledge on the subject matter, maybe thats the time you choose to plant your flag somewhere else.
    #pinetree

PineTreeBillM.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    There is no gang. I think folks have called you out because you are wrong. When you relate your opinions and observations, and that opinion has been overwhelmingly debunked by folks that spend far more time in the woods and have far more knowledge on the subject matter, maybe thats the time you choose to plant your flag somewhere else.
    ROFLMAO!! Man some of you Fag Club members are so full of yourselves it should be in psychiatry DSM standards!! Btw, Mr. Woodsman you are the one that started this dumbass thread. Maybe you should spend more time in the woods.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 03-01-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    ROFLMAO!! Man some of you Fag Club members are so full of yourselves it should be in psychiatry DSM standards!!
    I am confident in my turkey observations. I am sure that at times that comes off as being full of myself. I think about turkeys far more than most folks and I associate with people that are the same way. We talk about turkeys and we talk about our opinions of them formed by our experiences. I fully admit that I don't know it all, and there are plenty of folks that know and have seen more than I have. I also take every opportunity I can to listen to those folks.

In my opinion, you are not one of those folks. IF you have more experience in the woods than I do, I would say that you haven't done a good job of forming accurate opinions during that time. I didn't need a gang to form that opinion, but the folks that I consult with agree. Every year turkeys do things to me and around me that I haven't seen before. I'm sure you are the same way.

I do not believe that turkeys become addicted to a feeder to the point that they frequent that feeder for a month after it is empty. Clearly, SCDNR feels the same way, as their rule is 10 days. I backed that up with camera surveys of multiple feeders, on multiple properties, visited by multiple groups of turkeys. It is not being full of myself to tell someone that I believe their opinion is wrong when I believe that to be the case.

I can almost picture you standing in Goff swamp, toting yet another ass cutting, cussing that fictitious feeder that your neighbor let run in January. I can't imagine any other reason that you would have failed to kill the bird.