View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the outlawing of male turkey decoys?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would support outlawing all male turkey decoys

30 17.14%
  • I would not support outlawing male turkey decoys

34 19.43%
  • I would rather outlaw male decoys than cut the limit

20 11.43%
  • I would support outlawing fanning/reaping only

13 7.43%
  • I hate new laws

78 44.57%
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Outlawing male turkey decoys

I run feeders year round for deer. I do not turkey hunt on the property where I run the feeders. I have, for the last 10 years, had an abundance of turkeys on the property from October-January, both at my feeders and in the food plots. But every year, these turkeys disappear around the middle of February and I never see them or get pictures of them again until around October. Nothing different on the property that I am aware of, they just move.

I am not arguing with those above who believe that running feeders will keep them around, just saying that the fact that my feeders run year round has not kept the turkeys on the property that I deer hunt on.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Cali, my position on the pines has to do with turkey populations. My position on the feeders has not one thing to do with populations, rather the influence they have on turks prior to the season. Again, my position is that a two week cutoff is not sufficient to keep them from coming around a previously baited area. I stand by that based on "my" personal experience. You will argue with me even if I said the sun rises during the day, so have at it.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Pretty much everyone on the site will argue with you about turkeys and your opinion basically because it has been determined that your opinion has very little Merit!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quit doubling up on Jakes and you might have turkeys Cromer
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Cali, my position on the pines has to do with turkey populations. My position on the feeders has not one thing to do with populations, rather the influence they have on turks prior to the season. Again, my position is that a two week cutoff is not sufficient to keep them from coming around a previously baited area. I stand by that based on "my" personal experience. You will argue with me even if I said the sun rises during the day, so have at it.
    How long has baiting/corn been legal in the upstate? 3 years? So, in those 3 years, you have formed this opinion, and are so convicted that you will argue with lowcountry folks who have been around feeders and corn their entire lives?

My feeders at a place in Sumter ran out of corn on or about Jan 5. I don’t have a turkey picture on any of the 7 cameras since Jan 12. Either my turkeys decided to head to West Palm to a rehab clinic, or they weren’t all that addicted to start with.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    How long has baiting/corn been legal in the upstate? 3 years? So, in those 3 years, you have formed this opinion, and are so convicted that you will argue with lowcountry folks who have been around feeders and corn their entire lives?

My feeders at a place in Sumter ran out of corn on or about Jan 5. I don’t have a turkey picture on any of the 7 cameras since Jan 12. Either my turkeys decided to head to West Palm to a rehab clinic, or they weren’t all that addicted to start with.
    You are wasting your time with that common sense stuff around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post

My experience is from the Wateree Swamp, not exactly the upstate my friend.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Hey...lets get back to the lame-ass plastic turkey discussion.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

There's no wonder the laws we have are so screwed up just listening to opinions of some on here.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 02-28-2018 at 12:55 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

My turkeys are so addicted to the kernel that this feeder which goes off at 8 a.m. literally almost on top of a roost site holding two dozen Birds hasn't even been touched today!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Calibogue; 02-28-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

If ANYONE should be required to hunt over a strutter and a cornnpile ( in a chufa patch) it should be Cromer.. It's the only chance he has..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Sumbitch Cali...those pine woods make my pants fit funny
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    There's no wonder the laws we have are so screwed up just listening to opinions of some on here.

This is the most accurate thing posted in all this garbage.

CLOSE the fucking thread!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

O Lord here comes the Fag Club members. What do ya'll do text each other about my threads? You guys are like a gang of thugs.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Cali, why didn't you post this pic which "you" put up not long ago? You guys are too damn funny!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018...f81b8e0a36.jpg
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 02-28-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Paul, I already posted that pic!
    Sure, they are on it first thing in the morning.....sometimes!
    However, they are obviously not "addicted" as you call it since they did not touch it this morning.
    I don't hide the fact that I feed game down here nor do I attempt to hide the fact that turkeys eat corn.
    Does feeding turkeys prior to the season give me an edge.....NO!
    Last edited by Calibogue; 02-28-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Well he did "today"

Not "not long ago"
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Cali, I'm not busting your chops or anyone elses for using feeders! I merely said the turks will come around feeders long after the two week turn off period based on my experience. Why you are getting so uptight I don't understand.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

It don't matter if it's corn, acorns, a green field or chufa. IMO it's a preferred food source that anchors the hens. In the context of the conversation corn feeders were being discussed. Folks use feeders to try to make a preferred food source in a preferred location. I don't care what you do as long as it's legal. Just be honest about why you do it if you feel the need to discuss it.
    If you pre-season feed for turkeys and it makes no difference then why do you do it?

About 15 years ago I tried to make a "turkey" food plot in a nondescript place (a few water oaks and mostly trash trees) where I regularly saw turkeys during deer season but they always disappeared come spring time. That year I raked leaves and broadcast seed and raked it in around mid February. Went back in mid March and found that spot literally torn to shreds. I was scared to hunt the place till mid April. Killed two long beards in there and saw more turkeys than the previous 5-6 years. Next year I didn't do squat and turkeys were nonexistent come spring. That's another isolated event but enough for me to form an opinion. Am sure there are other factors but I don't pre-season feed (or sow seed or anything else) where I plan to hunt. Just not worth worrying over. I'd rather hunt them were they naturally want to be but that's me. Ditto for deer. Good luck with however you want to hunt.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Me uptight....? Not hardly Paul!
    You are way more predictable than turkeys around feeders!