View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the outlawing of male turkey decoys?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would support outlawing all male turkey decoys

30 17.14%
  • I would not support outlawing male turkey decoys

34 19.43%
  • I would rather outlaw male decoys than cut the limit

20 11.43%
  • I would support outlawing fanning/reaping only

13 7.43%
  • I hate new laws

78 44.57%
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Outlawing male turkey decoys

I didn't think you'd enjoy watching us

Ain't no hurt feelings here. I was thinking you'd be the one having the laugh.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

he said "perfect 2th" not "perfect, 2th"

so, HS was saying he has perfect teeth, not that I was perfect. Got it?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I have proven myself incompetent in the videoing of a turkey hunt
    Um, pretty much spot on!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I don't have perfect teeth. I wouldn't want them, perfect teeth don't add character.

Just Do like a lot folks pull up to a field roll down your window and scream on box or a sick sounding mouth call 2 weeks before the season starts and then wonder why birds are call shy and scared to death!

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    Fan of a fan over here
    Fan of the fan also!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

i'm a fan of laughing at all the shit gene carries turkey hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by rut & strut View Post
    Just Do like a lot folks pull up to a field roll down your window and scream on box or a sick sounding mouth call 2 weeks before the season starts and then wonder why birds are call shy and scared to death!
    They should ban the phrase "call shy" also. Totally made up phrase that is nothing more than an excuse for failure.
    Last edited by MKW; 02-20-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i'm a fan of laughing at all the shit gene carries turkey hunting.

Please
    I've seen worse.

And yea, I got a vest now that I think may work out. So I'll likely carry more shit.

I hired a little Honduran to go with this year and carry my lounger, 3-4 fans, lunch box, and some extra boots. He is the Sherpa of the turkey woods.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    They should ban the phrase "call shy" also. Totally made up phrase that is nothing more than an excuse for failure.
    Thats old news. They are fan shy now
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

gene shy

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Thats old news. They are fan shy now
    Well, damn. They's call shy and fan shy now??? How am I post'a kill one??

Well, damn. They's call shy and fan shy now??? How am I post'a kill one??
    You need a Durango, some "don't give a shit", a passenger that knows to duck, and at least 2 shells.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    You need a Durango, some "don't give a shit", a passenger that knows to duck, and at least 2 shells.
    LOL...and a beer.

Beer is implied.

Some use it as an excuse no doubt. Could be a 2 year old bird scared to come to a call because he's been whipped up on by a bigger tom as a reason or something else just a simple. I think if a tom is buggered enough they can be conditioned to pattern hunters. Most turkey hunters have run up on a few of those "special old birds". Makes the hunting more interesting and I for one believe there are some toms that become suspicious of hen calling if pressured enough. May simply stand and look for 5-10 minutes to see if a hunter is slipping down an open river bottom before he is convinced enough to answer. They don't live on our time schedule. If a poult can learn it's mother hen's cluck while it is still in the egg (less than 28 days to do so) then is it such a stretch to think that a tom a hunter keeps hammering away at all season could at some point begin to connect the sounds to danger? I've always thought the worst thing you can do is let a tom see you walking and calling so I take care to avoid that to keep from educating them. Likewise if I bump a tom and wasn't calling at the time I may just sit down for a while and attempt to call him up. Can tell you for a fact that it works part of the time in the second scenario and hardly ever/never in the first, usually takes another trip on another day. Same issues with preseason calling, just conditioning them to come to something that isn't there if it's done enough. I know there are plenty that don't agree. I just figure that's usually the guys who are more apt to move on and find another tom that will gobble instead of just investing the time to kill the tom they have suddenly lost touch with. I hunted through some seasons on WMA where we really truly had low numbers and if you found a tom you hunted him with whatever effort it took simply because it was more productive than trying to go find another tom. I mention WMA only to say that I had thousand upon thousands of acres to roam. I also hunted plenty of years where there was a gobbling tom in every river bottom flat. If you buggered one or he had hens you just moved maybe 300 yards up or downstream and you would very likely find another tom in the next flat, call him up and kill him. Hunt slow or run and gun, done plenty of both driven by circumstances and just saying all this to try to show I understand both perspectives. The March dates in the upstate before green up influences one of the worst things about early season IMO. Guys that walk and call in river bottoms on WMA. You can see a turkey at 200 yards but they can see you at 400 or more. No wonder a fella walking and calling his head off doesn't hear anything and thinks there aren't any turkeys. March 20th just means they start doing it two weeks earlier than normal and there is a longer conditioning period for toms to see hunters walking and calling. Not so much directed to you with all this Mike, just babbling on I guess, wasted effort.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

And what happened to the legislation thread? I posted there and it went poof overnight? Geez.

I will just say that the term "call shy" is WAY over-used, IMO. Certainly, a turkey can become weary of certain situations in which he's had bad experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    And what happened to the legislation thread? I posted there and it went poof overnight? Geez.
    DT deleted it along with the deer youth day thread and the conservation bank thread.