Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swap Food Stamps for ‘100% American’ Food Packages

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Swap Food Stamps for ‘100% American’ Food Packages

Interesting idea. At least it would make more jobs and go back into the US economy. It's better than doing nothing.

Trump Budget Would Swap Food Stamps for ‘100% American’ Food Packages

In what would be one of the biggest shakeups of the U.S. food-stamp program in its five-decade history, President Donald Trump is proposing to slash cash payments and substitute them with "100 percent American grown food" given to recipients.

The changes, outlined Monday in Trump’s budget proposal, would reshape the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, which supports roughly one in eight Americans, by reducing cash spending by about one-third from current levels.

The plan is part of an effort to reform SNAP and save a projected $214 billion over a decade. It would give all households receiving more than $90 a month in cash a food-aid package that would "include items such as shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit, vegetables, and meat, poultry or fish," according to the proposal.

Shares of Dollar Tree Inc. and Dollar General Corp. both dropped on Monday after the plan was unveiled.

The so-called USDA America’s Harvest Box "is a bold, innovative approach to providing nutritious food to people who need assistance feeding themselves and their families -- and all of it is home grown by American farmers and producers," Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said in a statement. The program would provide food-stamp recipients with "the same level of food value" as the current system, Perdue added.

Reaction was muted on Capitol Hill, where both congressional agriculture committees are working on reauthorizations of the food stamp program as part of a farm law that expires Sept. 30.

"The task at hand is to produce a Farm Bill for the benefit of our farmers, ranchers, consumers and other stakeholders," House Agriculture Committee Chairman Michael Conaway of Texas and Senate Agriculture Committee Chairman Pat Roberts of Kansas, both Republicans, said in a joint statement. "This budget, as with every other president’s budget before, will not prevent us from doing that job."

USDA Programs

The food stamp program served 42.2 million people and 20.9 million households on average during the 2017 fiscal year. The average household benefit was $254.14, thus 81 percent of homes receiving aid would be included in the initiative, according to the USDA. SNAP assistance cost $68.1 billion in 2017, with $63.7 billion given out as benefits.

Under the plan, the amount of food a household receives would be scaled to the size of the allotment, with about half of the assistance coming as food instead of cash. The USDA already buys commodities for other programs, such as the National School Lunch Program, and states would largely be in charge of distribution, the department said.

"States can distribute these boxes through existing infrastructure, partnerships, and/or directly to residences through commercial and/or retail delivery services," the department said in a statement.

The USDA also touted tightened eligibility rules for recipients, such as stricter work requirements, as well as changing income and benefits calculations "to ensure benefits are targeted to the neediest households."

Major agricultural and food lobby groups refrained from comment, while one anti-hunger group was alarmed at the proposal.

The plan would replace a system that’s working "with a Rube-Goldberg designed system of commodity distribution via food boxes that will be administratively costly, inefficient, stigmatizing, and prone to failure," Jim Weill, president of the Washington-based Food Research & Action Center, said in a statement.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Its a terrific idea.

It will cut out 60% of folks wanting food stamps.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

hell yeah!

if you cant afforD the food you dont get a choiCe in what you eat! that's the way its alwas been and the way it should alwaus be!

hah hah

this is great! CHOO CHOO C HOO

hah hah hah

This is sooooo not PC and I love it. Minimizing the stigma by calling it SNAPand all the other theatrics the program goes through is utter bullshit. Standing in line behind one that buys fucking grape soda and a candy bar with a snap card then walks out and gets in their car while never stopping fucking talking on their cell phone makes me fucking furious. Oh and they further hold up the line by paying cash for a fucking lottery ticket!!! Madness HAS to stop. There is NO ZERO NADA logical explanation for the way the current program is administered. Hell there are even radio adds encouraging sign up. But people will use the same bleeding heart logic as those who don't won't drilling off our sc coast like because the dolphins and whales may hear it to justify this kind of stupid shit. If DC would adopt the criteria of "would I fund this program like this with with my own personal out of pocket money.." our country would fundamentally change.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Shares of Dollar Tree Inc. and Dollar General Corp. both dropped on Monday after the plan was unveiled.
    I wondered why so many DG stores kept popping up every 5 miles. They were government subsidized!!

Buying steak, lobster and crab legs on food stamps is just effing insane.

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeard View Post
    I wondered why so many DG stores kept popping up every 5 miles. They were government subsidized!!
    Also, they now sell beer.

So, they're turbo subsidized on the weekends when I don't wanna drive to the damn'd grocery store.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    This is sooooo not PC and I love it. Minimizing the stigma by calling it SNAPand all the other theatrics the program goes through is utter bullshit. Standing in line behind one that buys fucking grape soda and a candy bar with a snap card then walks out and gets in their car while never stopping fucking talking on their cell phone makes me fucking furious. Oh and they further hold up the line by paying cash for a fucking lottery ticket!!! Madness HAS to stop. There is NO ZERO NADA logical explanation for the way the current program is administered. Hell there are even radio adds encouraging sign up. But people will use the same bleeding heart logic as those who don't won't drilling off our sc coast like because the dolphins and whales may hear it to justify this kind of stupid shit. If DC would adopt the criteria of "would I fund this program like this with with my own personal out of pocket money.." our country would fundamentally change.

Yowza. It shocks me how people constantly bash on those who claim racism, and then give 'em a leg to stand on.

The program makes sense to me, in theory, but WE conservatives need to stop getting in our own way by saying dumb stuff, which detracts from the real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Yowza. It shocks me how people constantly bash on those who claim racism, and then give 'em a leg to stand on.

The program makes sense to me, in theory, but WE conservatives need to stop getting in our own way by saying dumb stuff, which detracts from the real issue.
    hear hear!

What exactly is racist about his statement? Making a statement that isn't exactly PC doesn't make it racist or dumb. It's just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by PartiotSmithWesson View Post
    hear hear!
    giphy (2).gif

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Buying steak, lobster and crab legs on food stamps is just effing insane.
    Everytime I walk through the IGA in Sumter and see seafood with WIC approved tags on em my eye starts to twitch. It's cooked food is how they get around it I think.

I've always said that they should just publish the names of the people are receiving assistance in the paper. They do it with practically everything else from the government. But these days I don't think that would deter most of the people. However if you posted the names and offered a reward for turning someone in for fraud, I bet it would cut down on it.

And Bart white people use snap cards to buy grape soda too.

I'm not a grape soda guy but I have put grape flavored mio in my water before. Not sure it gets more white than that.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 02-13-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    What exactly is racist about his statement? Making a statement that isn't exactly PC doesn't make it racist or dumb. It's just an observation.
    The terms stereotypical and racist often go hand-in-hand, like how the libs say "inner city" or "urban". And let's be clear: I don't know if dude's a racist or not, nor do I really care. But you'd be crazy or blind to think what he said couldn't be taken a certain way, particularly by those who want it to be an issue.

Serious question: Would you have the same image in your mind if if the person he's describing were buying a Mt. Dew or Sun Drop and wearing cut-off jean shorts and white tenny shoes? Come on, now.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 02-13-2018 at 03:16 PM.

So white people cant buy grape soda and candy bars now? Let me check my white privilege card and get back with you.

The terms stereotypical and racist often go hand-in-hand, like how the libs say "inner city" or "urban". And let's be clear: I don't know if dude's a racist or not, nor do I really care. But you'd be crazy or blind to think what he said couldn't be taken a certain way, particularly by those who want it to be an issue.

Serious question: Would you have the same image in your mind if if the person he's describing were buying a Mt. Dew or Sun Drop and wearing cut-off jean shorts and white tenny shoes? Come on, now.
    So, who's stereotyping now?

Why didn't answer my question?

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Everytime I walk through the IGA in Sumter and see seafood with WIC approved tags on em my eye starts to twitch. It's cooked food is how they get around it I think.

I've always said that they should just publish the names of the people are receiving assistance in the paper. They do it with practically everything else from the government. But these days I don't think that would deter most of the people. However if you posted the names and offered a reward for turning someone in for fraud, I bet it would cut down on it.
    I alwasy SAID if you want a dang lobstar go hunt you a Lobstar!

dont live near em?! wel These Are The Breaks!! like kurtis blow used to say before yall were born most of yall

And, I think they should do away with cell phones and put landlines in. At least they won't be running up and down the road or standing in convenience/grocery stores talking on them and Phoneman would be stayin' busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    So, who's stereotyping now?
    Ugh. I'm talking about libs, BLM's, and all the other morons who blame everything on race. How would you not see that? Sheesh.

And I promise you, I'm harder on black folks than I am on any other group of people. If black folks would acknowledge and address the issues within the black community, most, if not all, "race-related" issues would magically disappear.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 02-13-2018 at 03:44 PM.