View Poll Results: Do you tip for takeout food?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • I tip anytime there is a tip line on the receipt

25 15.92%
  • It depends on my mood

34 21.66%
  • I only tip if I'm sitting down and someone is waiting on me

96 61.15%
  • I never tip anywhere

2 1.27%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you tip when picking up takeout?

Default Do you tip when picking up takeout?

I saw an article earlier about a waitress that was fired for complaining about a customer on facebook (that happened to be a church) for not tipping when picking up food for takeout from Outback.

And it got me to wondering how many of y'all tip when you are picking up takeout. And if so how much?

I consider myself a pretty good tipper. I tip when I get my hair cut and when in a restaurant. But I don't feel the need to tip just because you have a tip line on the receipt. I never tip for pickup or in a self serve restaurant such as zaxbys or moes.

Well first off I dont ever pick up from Outback or a place thats similar. But when i pick up from somewhere and they do get me to sign something its normally a mom and pop type restaurant and yes ill tip a little, like a dollar or so. But then i get to thinking, the person that did all the work (the cook) probably doesnt see any of it.

I do. $2-3 depending. Fast food earns min wage. I know servers don't. Not sure about hosts or whomever puts together the to-gos.

I always tip but depends on my mood how much. Sometimes, I'll pick up a $9 to go from the awful waffle and leave $5, might even pay for someone else'e meal, secret santa style. Its good for the soul.

The exception is Chinese to-go. I spend enough on asians at the massage place.
    Last edited by everlast; 02-13-2018 at 04:17 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

ehhh, I leave a couple bucks. But its measured based on the amount of time the "server" is dealing with my order and the magnitude of the order. Tipping is primarily for waiters/waitresses that tend to your needs when you're seated at a table.

I normally will not tip on a takeout. In that Outback situation, the girl was upset because it was a huge order and she got taken off tables to make the order. Because the order was so big she felt that she should have been left some kind of a tip. In that situation I probably would have agreed with her. She just went all about it wrong and got fired over it. She should have just said something to the manager.
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 02-12-2018 at 10:09 AM.

I do.

If someone is handing me a bag and taking my money, I'm not tipping. But if I sit at the bar and I get something while I wait, i will tip. I don't tip the cashier at the grocery store for doing essentially the same thing.

Here is the article I referenced. Granted it was a $735 order, but Tamyln would have been pissed if she got $20. She saw a big order and thought she was going to get a $100 tip for carrying some bags out to the car.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/outback-...facebook-post/

10%, unless they are slow and mess something up.

For curbside service I will tip a little.
    At sit down restaurants and bars I tip at least 20%.
    At places like Moes I generally do not tip or maybe tip $1.

I usually dont at the chinese joint but if i call an order in out at Sue's on hwy81 at 85 i usually do. Especially if the girl running the window has nice tits. I almost feel like i have to for stairing at them why im waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    ehhh, I leave a couple bucks. But its measured based on the amount of time the "server" is dealing with my order and the magnitude of the order. Tipping is primarily for waiters/waitresses that tend to your needs when you're seated at a table.
    Agreed.

Dang, I must be gettin' soft.

I'll agree with bart so I wont be agreeing with fish directly...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    I usually dont at the chinese joint but if i call an order in out at Sue's on hwy81 at 85 i usually do. Especially if the girl running the window has nice tits. I almost feel like i have to for stairing at them why im waiting.
    I consider myself a good tipper, normally always atleast 20%. But when I go to sues I just cant give 20. Their service sucks donkey balls and I almost always know the girl that waits on me.

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    Good call, might have to have a rib & wing combo for lunch today

Tits usually get an extra 5%!
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    I consider myself a good tipper, normally always atleast 20%. But when I go to sues I just cant give 20. Their service sucks donkey balls and I almost always know the girl that waits on me.
    That would be grounds for me to not go back.

Just tell them not to take wooden nickels, thats a great tip

I tip for pickup oders, at Outback or the Wafflehouse.

I worked as a bartender/server for 12 years. I always tip on takeout. Most of the people bagging your takeout food make $2.13 an hour unless the minimum wage for servers has changed. Servers are also required to "tip" 10 to 20% of their gross sales to runners and bartenders, so its a double screw to the person that put your to go food in the system if you do not tip that person. I typically tip 15% on to go food.