Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offshore Drilling in SC

Default Offshore Drilling in SC

How many of you guys are going to the Statehouse to Protest?

http://www.thestate.com/news/politic...199414329.html

Beaches vs. oil: Busloads of coastal residents will be in Columbia to oppose drilling
    BY SAMMY FRETWELL

sfretwell@thestate.com

February 09, 2018 06:10 PM

Updated 52 minutes ago

The thought that oil platforms could appear one day off South Carolina’s coast bothers Jean Marie Neal, a Pawleys Island resident.

Neal, an organizer of an anti-oil drilling group in Georgetown County, is among dozens of coastal residents expected to be in Columbia Tuesday for a hearing on President Donald Trump’s proposal to open the South Atlantic coast — and South Carolina — to oil-and-gas exploration and, eventually, drilling.

Neal and others say the state’s scenic beaches and multi-billion-dollar tourism economy aren’t worth the risk of inviting in what they see as a dirty, polluting industry.

Places like Pawleys Island, a quiet resort of vacation cottages south of Myrtle Beach, are perfect examples of what’s at stake, she said.

“Pawleys Island depends on tourism, and this is a very fragile coast here,’’ Neal said. If drilling is allowed, “you’re introducing pollution to all the water and areas that have never been exposed to this before.’’

Supporters of oil drilling dispute that, saying it is worth looking under the Atlantic’s waves to see if any oil is there. If there is, it could help the United States by providing another source of the fossil fuel that the nation depends on, they say.

Opening Atlantic waters for oil production “could have remarkable benefits for job creation, U.S. energy security, domestic investment and revenue to the government,’’ the American Petroleum Institute says.

Offshore oil and natural gas development could produce 1.3 million barrels of oil a day and create nearly 280,000 jobs, consultants said in a 2014 report for the institute.

“The administration’s recently announced offshore leasing plan is a crucial step in a long process of assessing U.S. energy resources,” said Mark Harmon, executive director for the S.C. Petroleum Council. “It’s been 30 years since we last examined the outer continental shelf in the Atlantic, and modern advances in seismic technology will allow us to more accurately determine what energy resources are available for our nation’s future.’’

Opponents say the testing that would be conducted to determine if viable oil and gas fields are off the coast would produce loud noises that could harm dolphins and whales. The drilling that could follow could pollute the ocean and the beaches that anchor South Carolina’s multi-billion-dollar-a-year tourism economy, they say.

Tuesday’s meeting in Columbia, hosted by the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, is scheduled to be the only one in South Carolina before decisions are made on offshore exploration and development. The federal agency is taking comments until March.

Anti-drilling rallies are planned by environmental groups before the Tuesday meeting.

At those rallies, U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford, R-Charleston, and Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin are expected to speak against the Trump Administration plan. The national environmental organization, Oceana, and Neal’s group, Stop Offshore Drilling in the Atlantic, also will participate in the rallies.

The S.C. Coastal Conservation League plans to bring busloads of coastal residents from Beaufort, Charleston and Murrells Inlet.

‘They’ll get an earful’
    Oil drilling is a hot topic in South Carolina and along the Atlantic Coast today.

Many Atlantic coast governors, including South Carolina’s Henry McMaster, have come out against the proposal as opposition in coastal cities and counties has grown.

Two years ago, the Obama Administration backed away from a similar plan after more than 20 S.C. cities and counties protested.

Trump reopened the process, touting the need to provide more energy for the United States.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has mentioned the possibility of exempting Florida from off-shore drilling, prompting similar requests for exemptions from other states. Zinke flew to South Carolina earlier this month to meet with McMaster.

The meeting Tuesday, at the DoubleTree Hilton on Bush River Road, starts at 3 p.m. Its format concerns some anti-drilling groups.

The ocean energy agency will have tables set up where people can talk individually with regulators about different aspects of drilling. Anti-drilling groups would rather have those concerns expressed in a group setting.

Neal and the Coastal Conservation League’s Alan Hancock said coastal residents also are concerned the meeting is being held in Columbia. The capital city is more than two hours from the state’s beaches. They urged the Trump Administration to hold the meeting on the coast but failed.

Nonetheless, federal regulators can expect a big crowd, environmentalists said.

“They’ll get an earful,’’ Neal said.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD

The federal Bureau of Ocean Energy Management will hold a meeting Tuesday on President Donald Trump’s proposal to open the South Atlantic coast to oil-and-gas exploration.

Where: DoubleTree Hilton at 2100 Bush River Road

When: 3 to 7 p.m.

Drilling opponents to rally

Where: North steps of the State House

When: 11 a.m. Tuesday

Who: Speakers are expected to include U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford, R-Charleston, and Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin, a Democrat
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Curious. How far offshore would the rigs be if they indeed found enough oil to begin drilling?

The hell is Benjamin doing speaking..

20+ miles is what I’ve heard. These hoopleheads act like there will be refineries popping up right on the beaches or huge Panamax tankers rolling up Winyah.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'll be too busy working

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    The hell is Benjamin doing speaking..
    What does he ever do? Campaigning, gaining notoriety for whatever future higher office he is targeting

I believe we should know what our nation's assets are. It is important to national security.

I would be very concerned about oil rigs since 50% of our states income is related to tourism.

Natural gas is a cleaner industry and may be better for our state to explore.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I really don't know what the impact will be if it comes to fruition. On the surface it doesn't sound like a good idea but I don't understand the risks or the mitigating factors. Certainly not enough give a shit to take time off work.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I believe we should know what our nation's assets are. It is important to national security.

I would be very concerned about oil rigs since 50% of our states income is related to tourism.

Natural gas is a cleaner industry and may be better for our state to explore.

hmmmmmm......

so the oil rigs will produce -
    1. less yankees

2. more jobs

3. and this - p1361392516.jpg

When can we get construction under way?????
    Last edited by MDman; 02-12-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

there is more to the story as usual pros and cons than the superficial knee jerk reactions. the environmental impact may be legit but ive heard it so many times when it was not it makes it hard to believe. the environmentalist talking points shouldn't be the determining factor. would it make us less dependent on foreign oil?
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Yes. Please put drill rigs out there. I hope they find giant oil reserves all along the 100 fathom curve.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/sites...?itok=uJjZlwU7

I don't know these guys. Just using the picture to make a point.

I'm with Fish on this one. Should keep the CG busy as well...imagine the amount of idiots in their bay boats trying to get out to the rigs.

Bring em on!

Worst case disaster of all time with the Deepwater Horizon rig. Where is all the suffering on the Gulf Coast today?

Quote Originally Posted by MDman View Post
    hmmmmmm......

so the oil rigs will produce -
    1. less yankees

2. more jobs

3. and this - p1361392516.jpg

When can we get construction under way?????
    Easy there, Harvey Weinstein. She looks like she's fourteen.

Drill baby drill....

Take back over Myrtle Beach in the meantime..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

drill baby drill!
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

I’d have no problem with it if they could consolidate the rig support operations to Jasper and Horry Counties...

That’s really what they don’t want to see. And if you’ve ever been to Venice you can acknowledge what an aesthetic nightmare drilling can be.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson