Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 gage Long Beard 5's

TSS is certainly good insurance for the travelling turkey hunter. And, in that context, it's pretty damn cheap.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Must every thread about turkey loads twist into some means to justify TSS? Where in the heck did that come from. You don't need to justify it, everyone agrees it is superior in every way.

It's still ok to shoot whatever you dang well like though, same as for ducks, deer or whatever. I started out with lead and find it darn satisfying to still use it once in a while. Just means I have to be sure to get them a little closer, nothing more and nothing less. I went to hevi shot mag blends to get insurance for range estimation errors around 40 yards. I still flub shots occasionally because I still go to pieces once in while for no apparent reason. When I stop doing that and become completely cold blooded about it I am sure the whole hunting experience will have lost it's appeal.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Must every thread about turkey loads twist into some means to justify TSS? Where in the heck did that come from. You don't need to justify it, everyone agrees it is superior in every way.

It's still ok to shoot whatever you dang well like though, same as for ducks, deer or whatever. I started out with lead and find it darn satisfying to still use it once in a while. Just means I have to be sure to get them a little closer, nothing more and nothing less. I went to hevi shot mag blends to get insurance for range estimation errors around 40 yards. I still flub shots occasionally because I still go to pieces once in while for no apparent reason. When I stop doing that and become completely cold blooded about it I am sure the whole hunting experience will have lost it's appeal.
    I apologize T. I just got sideways with the 60 yard comment, in spite of the fact that he clearly stated that he wouldn’t shoot one that far.

In my opinion, you work too hard to get opportunities to shoot less than tss, and in a sub gauge gun, it’s the only real choice.

I’m gonna try to kill one with lead 5’s this year. Only because I located the box of trebark Winchesters that we bought when we first started.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Spur, The phenomenon that you described has always baffled me. Since TSS was first loaded into a turkey shell, it seems that everybody that shoots it signs a contract to do all they can to promote TSS and recruit folks to shoot it. The unpaid marketing of this stuff is like nothing I've ever seen.

I apologize for posting a picture of a piece of cardboard...turkey hunters are a weird bunch.
    Last edited by JBK; 02-10-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    I apologize for posting a picture of a piece of cardboard...turkey hunters are a weird bunch.
    I think you took that all wrong. I've been patterning a couple guns and shooting cardboard just like a whole bunch of other folks I know. Just meant I couldn't wait for the season to start and forget about patterning and get to the real thing. It's killing me. Was never criticizing.

Good on you for patterning your turkey gun and choke/shell combination! When I first started turkey hunting this wasn't something I even thought or worried about til later.

Alex I didn't take anything personal. Just funny how a thread can spiral out of control in the Gobblers Roost! Lol

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

Alex I didn't take anything personal. Just funny how a thread can spiral out of control in the Gobblers Roost! Lol
    Brother, there is absolutely no doubt about that! Can do it in a hurry. Puts the retriever's forum to shame. lol

Best I've got with longbeard #5 out of a 21" bbl with Trulock heavy 7 choke is 104.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Lead 6’s are not lethal at 60 yards. Can you get lucky? Absolutely, but I don’t consider luck a strategy.
    As I said I wouldn't even think of shooting a bird that far. Furthest I'm going to shoot one is 25-30 and that's pushing it. I also dont recomend anyone try it. As for lethal at 60 yrds, maybe or maybe not but I wouldn't want to be at the end of the 60 yrds finding out.

Quote Originally Posted by MudCat05 View Post
    As I said I wouldn't even think of shooting a bird that far. Furthest I'm going to shoot one is 25-30 and that's pushing it. I also dont recomend anyone try it. As for lethal at 60 yrds, maybe or maybe not but I wouldn't want to be at the end of the 60 yrds finding out.

Most understood that and appreciate your feedback.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Are you kidding me? Everyone who hunts turkeys needs to prove their gun. Same as hunting deer and sighting in a rifle.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Forgot that was you . Wholesaler is officially out now. I started to order all they had a few weeks ago, hesitated 24 hours and they were Gone, but I've heard of folks finding them here and there.
    I’ve got 5 boxes. I’m waiting for the market to dry completely up and then post em for sale for a ridiculous price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Especially this time of year. We are all so ready to get back out there. February is the worst. Can't plant, cant hunt turkey duck or deer.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I apologize T. I just got sideways with the 60 yard comment, in spite of the fact that he clearly stated that he wouldn’t shoot one that far.

In my opinion, you work too hard to get opportunities to shoot less than tss, and in a sub gauge gun, it’s the only real choice.

I’m gonna try to kill one with lead 5’s this year. Only because I located the box of trebark Winchesters that we bought when we first started.
    Boozer I missed the 60yd post somewhere. Sorry if I came across wrong. Getting antsy to mash a red head.

Shot this afternoon
    Windy / 77°
    M2 with 28" bbl
    570 sumtoy
    Longbeard #5
    113 in 10"

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tman; 02-16-2018 at 04:22 PM.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Is this 20ga Longbeard stuff like the 12ga Longbeard stuff in that it likes to be choked tightly? I plan to try it thru a couple of different .570, .560, and .555 chokes.

It did not like my SXX which was the tightest choke I had.