Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 gage Long Beard 5's

Default 20 gage Long Beard 5's

20180210_070939.jpg

870 20 gage with 21" barrel at 40 yards. Best pattern was from a cheapo Truglo gobble stopper choke and it shot 109. I tried my RSF and my SSX and got mid 70s from both. I want to find some LBs in #6.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I might explore some other options.

Cabelas has the LBs on sale....ordered som me 20ga 6s yesterday.

There’s a small rebate too I believe.

Shoot the fed 7’s 3in out of your factory full.

Get some federal TSS if you are going to shoot birds at 40 yards with a 20 gauge
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Try one of the chokes specifically made for those loads. I think its carlson that makes them. I shoot that choke with #6's 20 guage sx3. I'm not going to do it but I wouldn't be scared to shoot a turkey at 60 yrds. with my set up.

20180210_071006.jpg

This is my 40 yard shell. Fed Heavy 7s. Just trying the long beards out.

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by MudCat05 View Post
    Try one of the chokes specifically made for those loads. I think its carlson that makes them. I shoot that choke with #6's 20 guage sx3. I'm not going to do it but I wouldn't be scared to shoot a turkey at 60 yrds. with my set up.
    Oh Christ
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

The old notion of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" really comes to mind when looking at those two pics. Why would you want to try the the LB's out anymore now? Find and stock up on some Fed HW's before you can't anymore.

Can I come get some more Pharm?

Forgot that was you . Wholesaler is officially out now. I started to order all they had a few weeks ago, hesitated 24 hours and they were Gone, but I've heard of folks finding them here and there.

That #5 LB pattern is very respectable for lead and would hunt to 40 any day. The HW7s is a great pattern but comparing it to the 5s performance is apples to oranges. Is that a 20" pattern on the HW7s? Looks like the entire pattern is inside it. Cabelas in Greenville is completely sold out of the 20ga 6s but have tons of 5s. No surprise.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Lead 6’s are not lethal at 60 yards. Can you get lucky? Absolutely, but I don’t consider luck a strategy.

My assumption would be 40yd max. Just the terms I think of I guess. Don't recall the mention of 60yds by the op.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

SCDUCKS is funny. I had a few extra bucks. Bought some long beards to try. Had a few extra minutes to shoot. I understand leads limitations. My Feds are now discontinued so I wanted to find a shell that I can find on the shelf just in case.

Yes spur. That's a 20" on those HW 7s.

My 20ga 870 loved the Primos JellyHead choke off the shelf. Now have a Sumtoy because I got away from the ported, probably didn't have to but did. Just a couple chokes that I've found perform Great in the little 870 with multiple loads. Just fyi, since you mentioned other chokes.
    Last edited by PharmHunter; 02-10-2018 at 10:21 AM. Reason: cant spell

I have a RSF a SSX and that gobble stopper. The RSF has always shot well for me. It throws a great 20" pattern at 40 yards with every shell I have tried.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    SCDUCKS is funny. I had a few extra bucks. Bought some long beards to try. Had a few extra minutes to shoot. I understand leads limitations. My Feds are now discontinued so I wanted to find a shell that I can find on the shelf just in case.

Yes spur. That's a 20" on those HW 7s.
    It is funny, I guess. There are a few people on this site that travel from coast to coast to extend their season and kill as many turkeys as possible each spring. The knowledge that comes from witnessing 25+ turkey kills each year can’t be reproduced on a piece of paper. It isn’t hard to figure out who these people are. It doesn’t make them superior, but it certainly makes them more experienced.

One thing they all have in common is that they all shoot TSS and have for several years. The reason is simple in that TSS is the best and it isn’t close. Fed 7’s are as close as it gets and they aren’t close.

If you had a “few extra bucks” the best thing you could do with them is to buy 1 tss shell. Stick a factory full in your gun and a tss 9. It will kill the paper and a turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    I have a RSF a SSX and that gobble stopper. The RSF has always shot well for me. It throws a great 20" pattern at 40 yards with every shell I have tried.
    Good deal, I look forward to seeing many more pics of bloody heads soon, as opposed to all of us shooting cardboard. Hurry up already March!

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    It is funny, I guess. There are a few people on this site that travel from coast to coast to extend their season and kill as many turkeys as possible each spring. The knowledge that comes from witnessing 25+ turkey kills each year can’t be reproduced on a piece of paper. It isn’t hard to figure out who these people are. It doesn’t make them superior, but it certainly makes them more experienced.

One thing they all have in common is that they all shoot TSS and have for several years. The reason is simple in that TSS is the best and it isn’t close. Fed 7’s are as close as it gets and they aren’t close.

If you had a “few extra bucks” the best thing you could do with them is to buy 1 tss shell. Stick a factory full in your gun and a tss 9. It will kill the paper and a turkey.
    First and foremost I am very new to this turkey hunting thing. I pay attention around here. I have read about the TSS and know there is no comparison. I am excited about the new TSS from Fed. I will shoot it. Thanks for the help