Thread: 2017-18 season

Default 2017-18 season

Was a good season for me and the bearded mutt. The weather really screwed as when it got cold, it got cold. One day was 60, and the next was below freezing. We didn't see warmer temps until after the season closed. We wore the pheasant out this year, and I ever got my first redhead. I'm glad to say though we will finally be moving back South to Mississippi this year. Although I'll miss upland hunting here, I'll make it up on the turkeys down there.

Franklin really turned Into a great dog this year, and became even steadier in the duck blind. We had a goose hunt in the end of January, and I had 30 plus ducks fluttering less than 10 yards. He never made a wimper, he just couldn't figure out why I didn't shoot. He pointed and retrieved 30 plus pheasant, and retrieved a few ducks this year. A lot of those pheasant were with first time hunters or a youth.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

That's a happy looking dog, well done on the season!

video from our last hunt

Last edited by duckcommander727; 02-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”

Nice. When you getting orders?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Nice. When you getting orders?
    Have to be in Mississippi 31 may

Outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    Have to be in Mississippi 31 may

Figured you'd been up there long enough. Kessler? You excited?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Figured you'd been up there long enough. Kessler? You excited?

I wish, going to Columbus

I gotta get me another gwp. Love em
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    I wish, going to Columbus

I was worried you were gonna say that. I hate that for ya man.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was worried you were gonna say that. I hate that for ya man.

Eh, I'm excited. The fire department is top notch and the hunting is good. I'm a small town guy so I'll be glad to leave the Metro St Louis area.

The glass is always half full. I mean, you could be in the Army. Or hell, any other branch for that matter.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]