Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diaphragm call help.

Default Diaphragm call help.

Need some recomendations on an easy to use call. I know there will be a million suggestions and opinions. How many reeds and what cuts are best for the basics.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

old boss hen by quaker boy. the less reeds the better just starting off
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

I have not found an easier or better sounding mouth call than the Leading Lady by Legacy Game Calls

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Need some recomendations on an easy to use call. I know there will be a million suggestions and opinions. How many reeds and what cuts are best for the basics.
    #1,000,001-
    XT riot and havoc is what I use most. Triple reed vee cut and half bat cut. I find them to be easy to use and consistent. I usually don't try a lot of mouth calls though, when I find what works I am happy to stick with it till it stops so take this with a grain of salt. Prior to XTs I used Primos true doubles and variants for a lot of years but the quality on those went down about 10 years ago so I changed. I have to trim about 1/16" off the tape and bend the sides of the frame down very slightly to fit my palate with the XTs or any single frame brand really. Takes about 30 seconds and I am hunting.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 02-09-2018 at 09:21 AM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I have not found an easier or better sounding mouth call than the Leading Lady by Legacy Game Calls
    This!

I the the heart attack by Legacy.
    867-5309

get any basic double reed and put it in your truck to practice while you are driving. You can even play cd's of hen turkeys to hear while you practice.

Default Diaphragm call help.

There are going to be tons of opinions, because almost everyone prefers something different. Not only is every model of every brand a little different, there is variation in the same model.

The first thing you have to do is find one that fits you. Size and flexibility of the tape are the two factors. The reeds can be made from the hymens of virgin swimsuit models, but if it doesn’t fit, you won’t run it correctly.

Less reeds make it easier to make a noise, but if you are someone who naturally generates a lot of pressure, it will be very high pitched.

Try picking a few, spend $30 and see what you like. Legacy seems to have a model that fits most people, so I think I would start there.
    Last edited by trkykilr; 02-09-2018 at 09:56 AM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Grab the first 5 you see on the rack and find the one out of 5 that sounds decent. Kill turkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Grab the first 5 you see on the rack and find the one out of 5 that sounds decent. Kill turkeys.
    Lol...its the "decent" I'm having a hard time with!

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

Buy a bunch and find one that fits your mouth where you are comfortable. Everyone sounds like crap when they first get started. Practice every chance you're in the car alone (what i did) and go turkey hunting with guys that know what the hell they are doing with a mouth call and begin to emulate them as best you can. Put your ego in your pocket, because it takes time and patience. Also, the first time you think you sound like a turkey, you do not...........practice more.
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Hear ye!
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

River rat the ego part is spot on. I have never had more problems sounding like a critter before!

I have used the Hook series Primos calls for several years and like them a lot. Just bought several woodhaven as you know and the black wasp is a pretty easy and very responsive call.

It is very hard to suggest a mouth call for somebody. It is a very personal thing...how your mouth is shaped, how much air you generate, and many other factors. The biggest problem with mouth calls, IMO, is consistency, especially with bigger companies. Once you find one that you really like and need another, it very well might not run or sound the same. Legacy seems to have good consistency as does Woodhaven. I used to run a lot of Hooks Custom Calls and, personally, that's where I'd start. Their calls are cheaper than most and pretty damn consistent.
    I now run Woodhaven Ninja series calls...because I am a Ninja.
    Last edited by MKW; 02-09-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Get you a Tom Teaser Blood Cut. Best sounding mouth call I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Get you a Tom Teaser Blood Cut. Best sounding mouth call I've heard.
    That's a perfect example of what I mean by mouth calls are personal. I have heard folks run Tom Teaser calls that sound great, but Tommy has given me almost every mouth call they make and I hated every one of them...when I run them.

tom teaser quality has gone downhill the past few years in my experience...they used to be the shit. redneck hen was one of my favorite calls.

get a cheap quaker boy double reed. something to start on and if you don't like it you're out 6 bucks
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

All of Hooks diaphragms are $6 and are very consistent. But, be warned, the tape is smaller than on most calls, so if you have a big pallet, they may not work. I like them because I don't have to trim the tape at all.
    Last edited by MKW; 02-09-2018 at 12:31 PM.

JMHO,

But I wouldn't wipe my azz with anything that said Woodhaven on it. Eff that whole company and the stupid "Sting Team"
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.