Thread: Ruirnt

Default Ruirnt

Cameron Stigler of Florence takes his daughter to school each morning, but on January 31 his daughter, Presleigh Stigler, made an unusual request.

"She actually asked me to check her out of school to go hunt," Stigler said.

It was the final day of the season and he had an invitation to hunt at a property, so Stigler agreed.

"I wrote that down as the reason she was leaving — last day of deer season," Stigler said.

By 3:30 p.m. Stigler and his seven-year-old daughter were in a blind.

"It was Hinds County," Stigler said. "It was really to shoot a does, but we had a deal that if it was a buck we'd shoulder mount, we could shoot it."

Related: Hunters would have to report deer, turkey harvests under bill House passes

A little over an hour later, a doe stepped into the cut bean field the two were hunting and she was followed by a nice buck.

"She was playing games on the phone when the doe came out," Stigler said. "When the doe came out I had to make sure it wasn't a button buck.

"He came out about a minute behind her from the same trail and the same spot. He was a palmated 8-point. I figured it was a 3½-year-old and it really needs to be a 5½-year-old to shoot out there."

With that the decision was made Presleigh would shoot the doe. Once Stigler was sure she had the doe in her scope and not the buck, he told Presleigh to shoot. She made a perfect shot with a .308 Winchester rifle using reduced recoil loads and the doe soon crashed.

Not just any doe
    It was a doe, but the event was a milestone for Presleigh. She'd harvested deer before, but always had help from Stigler.

"We celebrated and reviewed the self-video,” Stigler said. "With tears in her eyes she said, 'Daddy I got her and all by myself.'”

Related: What you need to know about deer, turkey harvest reporting

Like any young hunter, Presleigh was anxious to see her harvest, but Stigler said they had to wait.

"It was my turn to shoot and we were just waiting on me to get a doe after that," Stigler said. "He came out about 5:30, 5:27.

"She spotted him first. She said, 'Daddy, there's a big buck out there.' I told her he was plenty big to shoot so we had to swap seats for her to shoot. I immediately started shaking as she calmly got ready for the shot. Her ear muffs were tangled in her hair, the buck was zig-zagging, nose to the ground at a steady trot, and we needed to switch seats. I didn’t think we were gonna have enough time with as fast as he was going and all the problems we were having.

"Finally with the gun out of the window, hearing protection on, she whispered, 'I’m ready.' When she got him in the scope I stopped him. He was still right around 60 yards. I just yelled, 'Hey' as loud as I could."

A family best
    The buck stopped and Presleigh fired. Stigler was watching the buck through binoculars and knew she'd hit the deer, but felt the shot was a little far back.

"I didn't want to push him anywhere," Stigler said. "We went back to the truck and waited an hour.

"She kept saying we needed to hurry up. I told her we had to wait."

Related: Kill more wild hogs now

When the wait ended, Stigler retrieved the doe first because he knew Presleigh had made a good shot on her. Then he and a friend went to recover the buck.

"He went about 80 yards out of the field," Stigler said. "We walked straight to him.

"Turns out it was a perfect double-lung shot. When she came around the truck to see it she let out a squeal. She asked if it was a bigger deer than I've ever killed and of course, it was."

In fact, in the final minutes of the season, Presleigh had harvested a buck bigger than anyone in her family. It was a main-frame 10-point with 25-inch main beams and a 20-inch spread. It had 5-inch bases and gross-scored 146 even though one of the tines was broken.

"She still doesn't know what she did," Stigler said. "She killed a 10-point and that's all she knows.

"She wants to hang it in her room. She said when she gets a boyfriend she can show him and ask if he's ever killed one that big."

But she may be waiting a while.

"We've already had that boyfriend talk," Stigler jokingly said. "I told her she can have one when she's 20."

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...son/310831002/

Good Stuff

Great story. That is bringing a lil gal up the right way.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

DAYUM!

Great story , but I really hope that date was wrong.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Very cool!
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

It was killed in Florence Mississippi.

Innernet coon cops up in here.

Good job by the little lady.

Very cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff!

Ruirnt real good!