Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highstrung?

Default Highstrung?

I've got a couple of gadwell breasts. Cut off the bone but still have the skin and fat on them. Give me a recipe if you don't mind. My wife doesn't like fruit cooked with her meat but she probably isn't going to eat it anyway. Your cooking always looks great and I want to try something new. Thanks
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Cut breasts into 1" cubes
    Mix 2/3 cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon chili powder in a bowl
    Wrap cube with 1/3 slice bacon and stick a toothpick through it
    Dredge wrapped duck in brown sugar mixture
    Bake at 325 for 20 mins
    Pull out oven and pour off grease
    Drizzle honey over breasts
    Put back in oven at 350 for 10 minutes
    867-5309

If you can get a grill hot as all haitis I like to throw them in some Maple Syrup, olive oil, fresh thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper. Sear them until about medium rare. I like them like that, and they're easy.

I pan sear them with oil and all sorts of things playing around. It depends if you're wanting like a sauce or something. I mean I like bacon, a lot. I just don't care for it on ducks, or doves, or deer, or any nice cut of meat that I kill.

I would suggest getting rid of the skin and fat then do what Highstrung suggests.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Is Gadwall fat not great? It's funny because I've killed a decent amount over the years, but I've never taken the care to make sure I've saved the skin. I do with my favorite few ducks.. There's a couple I won't save it on. I picked a limit of them at the end of the season and was careful to save it all.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 02-07-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: won't

Not a pretty as Ralph’s photography but wood duck seared with a little oil and Cajun seasoning. Cook to medium rare.

Blueberry, Pinot noir, agave, reduced, add a couple cold pads of cold butter at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by joeydpga; 02-07-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

I like berries and ducks. It's hard to beat a summerduck.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Is Gadwall fat not great? It's funny because I've killed a decent amount over the years, but I've never taken the care to make sure I've saved the skin. I do with my favorite few ducks.. There's a couple I won't save it on. I picked a limit of them at the end of the season and was careful to save it all.
    I've become distrustful of the fat on just about every wild bird or, maybe, it's just since I started hunting sea ducks.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Thanks all. I'm trying to get away from using bacon and I've never tried cooking one with the skin and fat on it. If it turns out to suck I'll find one of the best hotdogs threads and go get some.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Every time I see 'wrap in bacon' I think whatever you're trying to eat must taste like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I've become distrustful of the fat on just about every wild bird or, maybe, it's just since I started hunting sea ducks.
    Yeah, I wouldn't eat the skin off a sea duck. I feel like I need to write down the ducks I've killed after reading some of your posts, the "list". I kinda want to do the challenge, for myself, but I would have to break out some sort of marinade. I don't intend on shooting a couple duck species around here again.

Good luck FB

If you can get them skin side down a super hot grill or cast iron the skin will crisp up, almost like fried chicken skin, and is very good. I think that the skin on ducks is missed by a lot of people. Disclaimer, this is puddle ducks only, no diver skin. Marinating in gin or tequila for abt 30 min. then a little salt and pepper and the above method is very good.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I would suggest getting rid of the skin and fat then do what Highstrung suggests.
    what what/???@??@??@<>+_(%)*@()*#^@!_&%_@#

edited to add after continuing reading: I dont kill and eat sea ducks so I aint scared of duck skin. Honestly, I cant imagine NOT having it on there.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 02-08-2018 at 08:24 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You fellas sure go to a lot of trouble to mess up the flavor of duck meat.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I have eaten ducks prepared in all kinds of ways in all kinds of places. Anymore it's location and company that make a meal special.

Ducks should not have bacon on them - ever. Unlesss that is how you want to cook them. Just don't expect me to say " damn that is good bacon wrapped duck"

Memorable ducks for me-

Filleted Breasts of Black ducks simmered in wine with local mussels and clams in PEI, Canada, over local mashed PEI gold potatoes. With my Dad and a friend - both of whom are gone.

Pacific Brant cooked on the lagoon where we shot them , pan seared in cast iron over coals with thin sliced Nopales, smoked jalapenos, white onions and mezcal.. wrapped in hand made corn tortillas. Washed down with Pacifico beer.

Lots of others, less fancy perhaps, but still memorable - because of who I was sharing the meal with.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    I have eaten ducks prepared in all kinds of ways in all kinds of places. Anymore it's location and company that make a meal special.

Ducks should not have bacon on them - ever. Unlesss that is how you want to cook them. Just don't expect me to say " damn that is good bacon wrapped duck"

Memorable ducks for me-

Filleted Breasts of Black ducks simmered in wine with local mussels and clams in PEI, Canada, over local mashed PEI gold potatoes. With my Dad and a friend - both of whom are gone.

Pacific Brant cooked on the lagoon where we shot them , pan seared in cast iron over coals with thin sliced Nopales, smoked jalapenos, white onions and mezcal.. wrapped in hand made corn tortillas. Washed down with Pacifico beer.

Lots of others, less fancy perhaps, but still memorable - because of who I was sharing the meal with.
    That second scenario sounds like heaven.

Any sumbitch who says Brant aren't good to eat, haven't eaten one shot in February in Sonora .. they are memorable for more than just flavor.

I'd give every material thing I have to have one more breakfast Brant Taco with my Dad. His signature line was "wonder what the rich people are doing??" My canned answer was always " whatever that is, it's a distant second to this".. He had it figured out.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I can eat a few ducks just easily pan seared and be completely happy. Sometimes I enjoy messing around, it's fun for me. I never attempt to really mask flavor.

It's hard for me to pull the trigger on some ducks.. Man the last batch of spoonbills I killed.. you've just got to do something with them.. I don't kill them intentionally anymore. Not saying they're not a pretty duck or anything.

Along with Nitro, It's hard to replicate a moment.

We shot ducks a solid half day in Laguna Madre, 70 degree day, wingshooting in shorts. I was there with a few friends. I got into the blind with a case of lead 6s, two cases of coronitas, and shot every teal I saw. There was old shack overlooking the marsh, where we had grill improvised. I cooked teal fajitas and drank those little beers like I was some sort of giant gringo king. I do remember eating some kind of cactus..
    Last edited by Highstrung; 02-08-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Let's do a trip soon... before I decide that 70 degree duck hunting is too extreme. We took a trip down to Obregon where the bird boys raided some shorebird nests for eggs .. made Huevos Rancheros on the beach, with some fiery pinto beans that they said cooked for 2 days, green salsa poured from a glass jelly jar, flour tortillas from a cardboard beer carton. Beer at 0730 or so, from the plastic dove stool coolers they carried out for us to shoot from. After we all shot the lodge limit of 30 per man.. most of which were Sprigs, Cinnamon teal and Brant. We could have killed 10 times that many each.. Memories.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.