Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highstrung?

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't eat the skin off a sea duck. I feel like I need to write down the ducks I've killed after reading some of your posts, the "list". I kinda want to do the challenge, for myself, but I would have to break out some sort of marinade. I don't intend on shooting a couple duck species around here again.
    I've eaten 24 species of duck killed in SC (23 of mine and old squaw that LR killed). The only ones that are consistently bad are Red-breasted mergansers and surf scoters. White-wing and black scoters were fine approaching quite good. Hooded mergansers (peeled of their skin and fat) are not noticeably different from wood duck. Ruddy ducks are excellent and bufflehead are quite edible because they're small and the inside is warmed enough before the outside gets too done. Overcooking any duck totally ruins it.

I've roasted whole gadwall with skin and fat before and wasn't impressed with the taste. Why is their fat so orange?

I might try a skin-side dry-fried black scoter next season. Most of them are dining on seaweed anyway - it's probably why they eat so well.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Oh, and GWT and mallard are, without a doubt, the best tasting ducks. Which, in some way, is a little odd since I've pulled more minnows out of mallards than I have out of mergansers.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I would enjoy going somewhere at some point. I've become I guess you could say almost boring the last few years. I'm trying to remain patient watching plans try to come together. Which bothers me with my "living for the now". I'm like a walking contradiction.

A fine, fat Canvasback killed off the coast of the Atlantic ocean in January is hard to beat. To read stories about the market hunters killing them by the thousands to pack in barrels and covered in ice , sent North to the finest restaurants for dandies to eat makes a man wonder..

We missed out. If you don't own a copy of Harry Walsh's book " the Outlaw Gunner" it deserves your $20..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

The last Gadwall I have picked have clean fat.. If it's orange I'm taking any of that off. I think of orange as being fishy, mushy kinda taste.

Bottom left, good mallard fat. Top left summerducks, good fat. Then the teal are whole picked.

attachment-4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Oh, and GWT and mallard are, without a doubt, the best tasting ducks.
    I agree.

Default Highstrung?

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    A fine, fat Canvasback killed off the coast of the Atlantic ocean in January is hard to beat.
    One item on my bucket list is to kill two Cans. One to eat, one to mount.
    Last edited by britton40; 02-08-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Leaving skin on ducks usually turns out like it tastes like shit. Just my personal opinion. It is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    ...Hooded mergansers (peeled of their skin and fat) are not noticeably different from wood duck. ...
    I killed two intentionally this year. I cooked them with wood ducks and didn't tell anyone that two "trash ducks" were mixed in, and there were no leftovers. The amount of people that openly admit throwing away hooded mergansers is sad. Most have never attempted to clean, let alone eat them.

I have a Chinese lady next to me. I give her game occasionally. I gave her a hoodie one time just to see if should could make something out of it. I brought her some ringos the following Friday. She met me at the door and said: "no more fish duck, smell up whole house!" I never knew if she was telling the truth.