Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manufactured Homes

Default Manufactured Homes

Me and my wife are considering selling our stick built in a neighborhood and buying a double wide and setting it on a little over 2 acres. We’ve always wanted a little land and some privacy and another stick built seems to be out of our price range. We got our current home on a short sale and have been there 5 years so we stand to buy the property outright and have a good chunk leftover for a possible two bay shop for me out back.

I have never lived in a manufactured home before. Anything I should take into consideration? Or should I just stay in my home now and avoid manufactured homes all together?

Appreciate any opinions, fellas. Thanks.

Blue ridge log homes are manufactured check them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Good thing these bitches float" - 295PRO

************************************************** ******************************

2012 SCDUCKS Bream World Champion
    Riverhawk B-60 Procaster w/ 25hp Merc
    Tide Craft w/ 25 hp Johnson
    Stoeger M2000
    Kent Fast Steel

you talking doublewide with it's own wheels or factory built then brought in sections on a tractor trailer and assembled on a permanent foundation?

Concrete slab pole "barn"

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenheads View Post
    Blue ridge log homes are manufactured check them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will do thanks haven’t considered that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    you talking doublewide with it's own wheels or factory built then brought in sections on a tractor trailer and assembled on a permanent foundation?
    Trailered in and anchored to foundation double wide.

i worked for a while at a plant that built modular homes(like bad habit spoke of) the houses we built were extremely nice, and no corners were cut.

some of the major differences i remember at the time were most mobile homes were being built with 2x3 side walls, while we built standard 2x4 or optional 2x6 sidewalls...and then there was the finishing inside...most mobile homes built with paneling on the walls and such are not to my liking...all of our walls were sheetrocked and finished by some of the baddest yellerhandeld case carrying lumbee indians the world has ever seent....

the term depreciable asset comes to mind...but do whats best for your family and what you can afford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

Don't do it, I repeat don't do it. Build something small or build a pole barn type building and make the interior how you want it.

My first home was a 14*70 trailer. Lot rent was 120 and trailer was paid for.
    Last months power bill at current house was 380 alone. I am no happier now than I was then.
    If it makes u happy, go for it. Resale value won't be that of stick built though.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Just know that depreciation is going to be a mother. Just something to be aware of. Alot of people buy new and then get hurt when they try to sell it in 10 years. Do the numbers and figure out if it's worth buying used or new.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    Don't do it, I repeat don't do it. Build something small or build a pole barn type building and make the interior how you want it.
    Mind elaborating? I really just don’t know much about them.

Mudflat and ugadawg, depreciation is something I worry about with these. But I have a hard time understanding why I see so many manufactured homes on Zillow selling for around the same price as the stick builts in my current neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Concrete slab pole "barn"
    I haven’t thought of this either. Looks interesting to me not sure the wife would go for it.

Anyone know a builder for these in the Horry area?

What Sportin said. If I ever had to build another anything it would be made of metal with no wood framing. Check around. Hoover or any of the other's can help you. You need a name and # Holla at me
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Mobile homes are not an investment as they lose value where as even a small stickbuilt home will go up in value. Unless you have no other option, be very wary. If you are retirement age and plan for that to be you last place, than maybe, but I wouldnt do it otherwise.

Get in touch with Baybuster. He can provide great info on the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    What Sportin said. If I ever had to build another anything it would be made of metal with no wood framing. Check around. Hoover or any of the other's can help you. You need a name and # Holla at me
    If you wouldn’t mind pm’ing me a good builder in this area I would appreciate it. A short google search didn’t show up much.

Think a 3 bed 2 bath pole barn home could be done under 100k with a modest interior?

The more I look at the pole barn homes I really like them. Seems it’d be easy to just have a taller garage attached and put a lift in there instead of a separate shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Get in touch with Baybuster. He can provide great info on the subject.
    Will do thanks

My mom put a 3/2, 1650 ft modular home in the mountains 4 years ago. No one can tell it wasn't built from ground up on the property. This is due to the interior finish work like swamprat said. You can have as much input as you want with interior as well. Saved a lot over stick built on the lot. Much nicer than a mobile home; even if you put it on a foundation.

Log home kits are a good, economical choice if you want to deal with maintenance of log home. I love them personally; my dad has one on Lake Wylie but does a lot of work to maintain it.

As mentioned several times a mobile home is a depreciating asset. They are titled through the DMV just like a car. I have a client that is trying to refinance his and the mortgage company wanted us to insure it for more than it was worth. I had to explain "depreciating asset" to two underwriters. Unless it is your only option, DON'T DO IT. A modular is a different story, they are over-built and don't depreciate.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"