Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Flyway Foundation update and needs

Thanks for the update. I am in and looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NUTZ View Post
    Ho Lee Fuk

thanks just sent a response

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Pm sent.
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

Ill be in Arizona this weekend. What are needs?

right now just need to know that we have a good handful interested.

trying to nail down hay, and some supplies but that shouldn't be to terribly hard.

Also trying to talk Kevin into cooking a pig/dove/quail/deer or whatever to chow on. That is if he can swing it...
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

i'll cook something

need wire and staples and hay.

I got tables and pliers and snakes.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I can’t make it but if someone from the upstate wants to take an air compressor and hog ring gun/hog rings down I can provide those. May speed up the builds.

I can't believe that was Dook.

I haven't seen that idiot in far too long.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Never heard of it. I like to donate to conservation organizations when I can but that website is very basic and looks a little sketch. I don't feel comfortable transferring money thru PayPal to some group @mindsprings.com. If this is a legit organization and can get some marketing and endorsements I think it could be real successful! I'd throw a few hundred dollars towards getting those hen houses set out but like I say, I've never heard of FF nor any of its board members.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 02-06-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Never heard of it. I like to donate to conservation organizations when I can but that website is very basic and looks a little sketch. I don't feel comfortable transferring money thru PayPal to some group @mindsprings.com. If this is a legit organization and can get some marketing and endorsements I think it could be real successful! I'd throw a few hundred dollars towards getting those hen houses set out but like I say, I've never heard of FF nor any of its board members.
    We are a legit organization. We are revamping the website, stay tuned. Thanks in advance for your support.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

I should have written a basic history of the organization to be ready to copy/paste. It is compelling how this whole thing came to be and yes, it's a legitimate organization - especially with a direction and energetic people at the helm.

As it was told to me years ago.......(you originals correct me where I'm wrong)...

JAB, Duck Tape, 2th, Catdaddy, Duckman and some others (plus or minus) were chewing the fat back around 2005. They started comparing federal band returns and noticed that an inordinate number of the ducks they had killed had been banded in and around the Great Lakes region. That flew a little in the face of conventional wisdom in that many people had previously been told that our ducks had come from the Prairie Pothole region. As it turns out, many of our ducks were coming from further East. These pioneers of the FF had always spent their conservation dollars with organizations like DU and Delta, and continued to do so, but thought there would be a better way to specifically impact the wintering waterfowl that landed in South Carolina. Delta had recently proven that effective use of their hen house design would increase nesting waterfowl exponentially, so these guys decided what better way to impact SC's migratory waterfowl than to develop partners within that Focus Area of the Great Lakes region and have those partners install and maintain hen houses that were manufactured here, with FF dollars, and with FF volunteers.
    That's where the idea of FF workdays to produce as many hen houses as possible came to be. I think we have done a hell of a job creating a system whereby upwards of 1000 HH's can be produced in a morning. The other organizations like Delta have been blown away by that production efficiency and to date, have not been able to build them at that level. I have said all along that one of the things the FF needs to capitalize on is documenting that efficiency and the systems to maintain it and then to put that out to other conservation organizations that can replicate it for the good of all. Anyhow, I digress...
    We have literally sent tractor trailer loads of hen houses to partners in the north (upwards of 5000 have been built to date) and they have been installed in a variety of nesting habitats within that focus area. There have been graduate level projects and Masters thesis' created over all of this - so there is traction on the biology of it all. Delta's CEO Scott Petrie was one of the original partners of the FF when he was at Long Point Waterfowl in Canada and continues to be a supporter of the organization's efforts. I know he would love to see a Delta/FF partnership on this.
    There is still a thirst for HH's up north and partners that are looking for someone to send them. Right now, that's what the FF does - it's is the manufacturing leg for these partnerships. The Board of the FF will have to determine what, if any, other projects it wants to be involved with, because I think we all know it can be so much more.
    This whole thing started back in 2005 and will keep doing some good things with some renewed energy by the Board.
    I hope that explains some of the early history and how the organization got to this point.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

That's a pretty awesome story. Good job to all that got this program up and running. Im curious as to what groups or individuals up north are installing these new hen houses and maintaining or removing them after the nesting season. The easy part is building them. Who sets them up and takes down the old ones so they don't clutter up the land? The grass woven in the wire is only gonna last one neating season.

Dude in the white shirt is a hillbilly with a heavy upstate accent, but he’s probably killed more black ducks that a coastal plantation owner.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I just found some of the white oval FF stickers in a box of old records. Let me know who to get them to that can take them to the workday. I will be out of town on that day.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

i see my daddy sneaking food. was his bday yesterday. thanks for that pic, simpleton.

and that hay will last a couple of years unless it gets a lot of snow/melt/snow/etc...

and more people thought we had a true eastern flyway but our ducks are crossover ducks.

i think linesville, PA was a town that many of us had bands from.

yes, rabbitman, the partners on the other end have a tough job, too. getting great partners is a big part of the puzzle.

I'm glad a new crop of hard working people are continuing the tradition.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I knew you'd like that pic, 2th. My ol' man's b'day is today - he woulda been 76.

I’m up in Charlotte but would be interested in coming down to help out anyway I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk