Thread: 6.5mm PRC

Default 6.5mm PRC

Any thoughts on this? I like the (advertised) performance. Not a 6.5 SAUM, but it's fast enough for my purposes and offers a little more swat "out dere" than Creedmoor. I also like it has no belt.

It's advertising about 2970 fps with the 143 grain ELD-X out of a 24" barrel - wonder how much it would drop with a 22" tube. This may be the route I take (if for no other reason that it's just esoteric enough...) - It's based on the 300 RCM cartridge case.

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...y-65-prc-load/
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I head researched it a bunch and it is pointless to me. 6.5 SAUM pushes the same projectiles 150fps faster with the same
    Or better barrel life.
    Last edited by Griffin; 02-02-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Curious - how would the barrel life be better? Lower chamber pressure?

Yes. 6.5 and 7 Saum are extremely efficient case designs
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

You have any velocity data from 22" or so barrels with the SAUM?

I do. What projectiles you looking to shoot?

BOOLITS

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    BOOLITS
    The pointed ones

Accubond 130, 140. Maybe LR Accubond or Hornady ELD-X. Whatever it likes best.

I get 3125 with 140 VLDs but that's leaning on it kinda heavy
    I get 3200 with 130 VLDs without pressing it and that's not leaning on it hard at all
    Last edited by Griffin; 02-02-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Sorry that's with a 22.75" barrel if you wanna get technical. Barrel will be forsale here soon. Swapping it out for a 22" proof sendero light chambered in 6.5 saum and throated for 147 ELDXs. And they should run close to 3125

I still don’t understand this cartridge. It’s kinda a lost cartridge IMO.

The same results can be had with a 260 rem, (pushed hard), 260 AI, and hell even a hard driven 6.5 creedmoor.

If you are looking for those speeds and not wanting to push a cartridge than I would chose the 6.5 SAUM.
    Last edited by b-stick; 02-02-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtimeduckhunter View Post
    The pointed ones
    Just the Tip.jpg

I can’t get over the barrel life claims for all the souped up 6.5s. I got about 2K out of my Kreiger running a mild 140 grain Creedmoor load. It takes more pressure to push a bullet faster and pressure equals heat which equals throat wear. If a 6.5 x 284 is a barrel burner and a 6.5 WSM is even worse, what magic fairy dust are they loading those SAUM cases with. Every other 6.5 round pushing 140 grain bullets at 3000 FPS has a short barrel life.

22" 7 Saum , CCI BR2, RP and norma brass seen below. Everyone of these is a true .25 moa load out of this barrel and exhibits the only reason I haven't gone 6.5.. it just can't keep up with the 7 no matter how you want to flavor it as to ft/lb and weight offerings.

The newer heavy grain offerings applied into a a 6.5 Hillbilly will however kill and smoke about half my data , forcing me to have to lean 7 Rum and 195s soon to piss on the 6.5 if they keep pouring the juice to that skinny little thing. I am more apt to go 6BR if slender suited.

140 Accubond and TTSX = 2950 very light pressure signs- H4831 SC

^same barrel =168s Berg Classic 2850 no pressure signs. H4831 SC

^ same barrel =162 EldM 2750 no pressure signs , still working up RL26

^ same barrel 168 LRAB 2700 no pressure signs H4350

^ same barrel 145 LRX 2940 slight pressure signs. H4831 SC
    Last edited by Strick9; 02-04-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I can’t get over the barrel life claims for all the souped up 6.5s. I got about 2K out of my Kreiger running a mild 140 grain Creedmoor load. It takes more pressure to push a bullet faster and pressure equals heat which equals throat wear. If a 6.5 x 284 is a barrel burner and a 6.5 WSM is even worse, what magic fairy dust are they loading those SAUM cases with. Every other 6.5 round pushing 140 grain bullets at 3000 FPS has a short barrel life.
    a lot more goes into it than that. Pressure and barrel life are not directly related in every case

Crisco life.
    Genesis 9;2

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    a lot more goes into it than that. Pressure and barrel life are not directly related in every case
    Wonder what the shoulder angle difference is between the SAUM and the 6.5x.284? I believe that P.O. Ackley said that a sharp shoulder angle combined with a long case neck would reduce throat erosion. However, I would imagine that burning a lot of powder at high pressure through the 6.5 hole would still be pretty hard on barrel life.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

30 saum vs 35 on x 284 if memory serves.
    Genesis 9;2

As for shoulder angle and throat life, I know was starting to get erosion out of a 280 Ackley back in the day with less than 700 rounds through it. I DID load it warm enough that my primer pockets were worthless after 3 loadings. As I recall, I was pushing a 140 grain Ballistic Tip at about 3150.

I'm looking at a lot of options here - the barrel Griffin mentions (PROOF sender light) is what i'm leaning towards. Creedmoor, 260, 260 AI, and 7-08 are on the table. I'm keeping an open mind.