Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep outta his lake

Default Keep outta his lake

Manns Harbor man faces multiple charges for incidents involving harassment of duck hunters
    Hyde County charges include two felonies, 11 misdemeanors
    DAN KIBLER 15 hours ago

A Manns Harbor man is in deep trouble after he allegedly threatened and harassed multiple waterfowl hunters

A Manns Harbor, N.C., man will be in court in Swan Quarter, N.C., on Wednesday morning, facing two felony charges and almost a dozen misdemeanors stemming to two December incidents in which duck hunters were allegedly harassed and in one instance, physically assaulted.

Jarrod Umphlett, who works at OBX Marina in Wanchese, N.C., faces two felony charges of assault and 11 more misdemeanors.

Most of the charges stem from an incident the afternoon of Dec. 16, when Umphlett is alleged to have approached a boat in Swan Creek Lake, a public waterway off the Alligator River in Hyde County that is surrounded by the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge.

According to an incident report by the Hyde County Sheriff’s Department, the boat’s occupants were Clark Purvis of Hobgood, N.C., who runs Roanoke River Waterfowl, a hunting-guide service, and Richard Edwards of WIlmington, N.C., a member of the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission, who were scouting for future duck-hunting trips.

The incident report indicates that Purvis and Edwards were in Purvis’ boat when they were approached by another boat, operated by Umphlett, who began to follow them and yell racial profanities at them, threatening to kill them and “crush your skull in this lake.”

At Umphlett’s request, Purvis slowed down, and Umphlett’s boat rammed Purvis’ boat on the port side, knocking Edwards down. Then, according to both Purvis and Edwards, Umphlett started to climb in Purvis’s boat, twice punching Purvis. According to the report, Umphlett tried unsuccessfully to rip the tiller-controlled outboard motor off the boat’s transom and to rip the gas tank loose and throw both overboard, which would have left Purvis and Edwards stranded. Purvis eventually pulled out his shotgun, forcing Umphlett back into his own boat. The report said that while both boats were attempting to leave the lake by the mouth via the creek that connects it to the Alligator River, Umphlett told Purvis and Edwards he would kill them if they ever came back “to his lake.”

That incident led to two felony charges for “assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill” and seven misdemeanor charges of communicating threats, operating a boat in a reckless manner, obstructing the passage of a boat, unlawful harassment of persons taking wildlife, injury to public personal property and assault inflicting serious injury.

Purvis, a cousin of Gov. Roy Cooper, described Umphlett as “foaming at the mouth” as he was cursing them.

“I don’t want to see this happen again, to anyone; it was very unfortunate, It was the kind of behavior that was hard to believe,” he said. “I’m just glad I didn’t have my 11-year-old son with me. He was going to go hunting with me that day, but he didn’t. If my son had been with me, I’m afraid he would never want to go duck hunting again.”

The felony charges — “assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill”— are considered Class E felonies, which carry a minimum prison sentence of between 15 and 31 months.

The incident report said that when officers from the Hyde County Sheriff’s Department visited Umphlett at a hunting cabin in Tyrell County to ask about the incident, Umphlett admitted he “took to their ass” and continued to refer to Purvis and Edwards with racial epithets.

A second set of charges involve an incident on the morning of Dec. 27 when Umphlett and an unidentified companion motored into Swan Creek Lake and found Larry Gammon of Plymouth, N.C., and his son, Wesley, in a duck blind. The incident report said that Umphlett and his companion approached the blind in their boat — identified by the boat-registration number on the hull — and began to curse at them and use racial epithets, picking on the younger Gammon about his glasses, the way he talked, and describing his mother with a racial slur. Umphlett kept his boat in front of the blind, according to the report, until the Gammons gave up on hunting and moved elsewhere.

After the Dec. 27 incident, the Hyde County Sheriff’s Department obtained warrants for Umphlett for four misdemeanors, two each for communicating threats and unlawful harassment of persons legally taking wildlife.

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.co...s.php?id=14795

Sounds like that Benny guy that was on here for awhile lol.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

wow. So....did umphlett used to be a hunter? Sounds like little cuz has some serious mental issues going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

He just needs some big white signs with red writing that say "NO HUNTING. NOT NO, BUT HELL NO"

Sounds kind of like an oxbow that I know of. Old crazy woman would come out the house and shoot over your head while screaming that she owned the lake. She left all the property to a historical society when she died. They also try to make people think that you are trespassing when you go in there. I never encountered the old woman, but have run into the historical society people. I just tell them that I will be glad to call DNR for them if they would like.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Richard Edwards of WIlmington, N.C., a member of the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission
    Purvis, a cousin of Gov. Roy Cooper,
    That dude is foooked

He is a hunter, and yep, he picked the wrong cherry...

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    That dude is foooked
    Yup. Glad the kid didn't make that trip. Woulda been awful. Not sure what you'll do until something like that happens but once my boat was rammed & he attempted to come aboard, all bets are off. Especially if my child was there.

Yes he did.....

Sounds like a daily occurrence in Bayou Meto.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Yup. Glad the kid didn't make that trip. Woulda been awful. Not sure what you'll do until something like that happens but once my boat was rammed & he attempted to come aboard, all bets are off. Especially if my child was there.
    Yep.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

So they all appear to be white folks. What was he calling them? Honkies? LOL

Based on my understanding, it's not a racial slur if both parties are the same culla.

Clark Purvis is a guide and from what I hear a pretty good fellow and he may even be a member here.

So if I yell at a fat kid with glasses that sets up within 45 yards of me I can get in legal trouble?
    Pro Remington 870 Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Sounds like a daily occurrence in Bayou Meto.
    It is honestly not that bad.
    Pro Remington 870 Operator

Quote Originally Posted by kayakkillshots View Post
    So if I yell at a fat kid with glasses that sets up within 45 yards of me I can get in legal trouble?
    Nah...just don't bean him with egg weights or shoot holes in his bote with the .300 b/o.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shallow Minded View Post
    Clark Purvis is a guide and from what I hear a pretty good fellow.
    x2

Hunted with him once. The only guide I ever thought that actually tried to put us on ducks.

I have lived in Manns Harbor and trust me when I tell you.......do not fuck with any local wearing
    those white commercial fishing boots. Just sayin, they are bat shit crazy and have no laws, they cant help it
    as its in their pirate DNA

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    they cant help it
    as its in their pirate DNA

live by the sword....die by the sword....
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.