Thread: Used 4 stroke or E tec / Optimax ?

Default Used 4 stroke or E tec / Optimax ?

I run an old 1987 Evinrude 140 hp V4 looper which has been very reliable motor but is an absolute gas hog. (like 6/10ths of a mile per gallon at 5000 rpms)

This past duck season I broke the drive shaft after towing a buddies boat to camp. Apparently the lower unit bearings heated up due to wear and seized onto the shaft when I shut the engine down.....turned the key and snapped the main drive shaft, a first for me. I was able to replace the lower unit fairly cheap but I decided I need something more fuel efficient. The only reason I have stayed with this old motor is due to reliability (and putting 3 kids through college simultaneously) and if I get in a bind I can usually get her running and get home, of course the broken shaft being the exception.

My boat is a 2472 Seaark and it is rated for a 145 hp. Is there any place in SC y'all could recommend that might have a good used 4 stroke or fuel efficient 2 stroke? 120 hp - 150 hp should suffice. Rebuilds don't worry me if the mechanic is reputable.

Thank you!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Buy once cry once get a new suzuki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Good thing these bitches float" - 295PRO

************************************************** ******************************

2012 SCDUCKS Bream World Champion
    Riverhawk B-60 Procaster w/ 25hp Merc
    Tide Craft w/ 25 hp Johnson
    Stoeger M2000
    Kent Fast Steel