Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    I have the Nucanoe Frontier 12. It isn’t great for two people; isn’t great for one guy paddling, and you have to be careful using a heavy battery and a trolling motor. But..it can do a little bit of everything and holds up to abuse. Overall I really like it for its flexibility.
    10ft is definitely easier to hunt with, and out of.
    I chose Nucanoe for the wide, open layout. You can throw a lot of shit in it. Very stable. I stand to fish out of it. Durable too. You'll never have to worry about sinking, or putting any kind of hole in it.
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 01-30-2018 at 08:27 AM.

You ever try two people in the 10 footer?

That is the main reason I went with the 12-in case I trick someone into going with me.

I’ve been thinking about getting a smaller one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    You ever try two people in the 10 footer?

That is the main reason I went with the 12-in case I trick someone into going with me.

I’ve been thinking about getting a smaller one as well.
    only tried 2 people once. to chase a turkey across the river. it worked. it's doable if you're not going far, and not much gear.

Might be worth the drive to pick up one of these:

http://www.akmccallumco.com/boat-creekboats.htm
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Might be worth the drive to pick up one of these:

http://www.akmccallumco.com/boat-creekboats.htm
    Paul, I've got the M80 and M98 if you want to test one. I drove up to the factory and got four a few years ago.
    Last edited by DuvnDux; 01-30-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

I know where a gently used M10 with seat and motor is located if you are interested.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

I've got two Chapmans, and a Campagna pirogue as well as an Aquapod, a Hobie Outback, and a Hobie Pro Angler. I'm moving back to Moncks Corner this summer and you're welcome to try any of them out once I get there. My vote is for the pirogue though!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

There's no 1 boat that will do it all. Try and buy used. If your first pic isn't what you were looking for than no harm. My vote is a native. That is a bad machine. I have had a bunch of small boats. The native is by far my favorite for all year.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I got a marsh rat this season. Awesome is is an understatement.

If you're interested in an actual kayak then the Native Ultimate, Wilderness Commander, or one of the Nucanoe models would be my choice for a duck hunting paddle kayak. Nucanoe now has a new model that looks pretty interesting called the Flint you might check out.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by GobblerHntr View Post
    Yes

Fwiw I don't believe Derick is making these boats anymore and sold the business to another fella down in Florida and they are being called Duckbill Boats

I was WRONG! about Derick and the Hellbender Boats!

So here's the real scoop......

The fella that owns Duckbill Boats out of Florida bought a boat or traded Derick for one of his boats. He then pulled a douche bag move and copied the design and started building and selling Boats under Duckbill

That being said I would recommend working with Derick at Hellbender as he is still very much OPEN FOR BUSINESS!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Any thought to building something that will fit your needs? Something like you are looking for wouldn't be hard....even for someone with no experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

At a Shelby, NC DU event, my son-in-law won a M80 Creek Boat. It look fine, compact, wide, roomy. Will fit hunter, dog, 6/8pk decoys in bag, easy to carry on Jonboat and is light. First time he used it, we were on a creek and had about a 1/2 mile to paddle to our spot. He said it was like paddling a brick, it doesn't track at all. he had to work hard to keep it straight and moving forward. That being said it will be a good lil boat to put in a beaver pond or smallish area after motoring to a transition point. We used it last weekend for a 1.2 mile paddle downstream, (tough paddle back upstream to boat ramp), then pulled it over a beaver dam, to a good size mini pond. Great for placing and retrieving decoys, easy to hide.
    If you go regular Kayak, I would get one with an open cockpit design, or a hybrid. I purchased a Future Beach Trophy 10' from CraigsList, cheap, This would be a fine kayak for fishing, but hunting out of it with neoprene waders, gear, it was tight, a challenge to get in and out of. I have used it 2 seasons but am ready for an upgrade.
    Were looking at the Ascend H12 Sit-Inside Hybrid Kayak. Looks easier to get in and out of, can carry gear and a dog, also can get a blind kit for it. It is about $700 simoleons.
    Freelance Duck Hunting on Youtube has a pretty good review of the H12, they upgraded from their Layout boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Valeflyfisherman View Post
    At a Shelby, NC DU event, my son-in-law won a M80 Creek Boat. It look fine, compact, wide, roomy. Will fit hunter, dog, 6/8pk decoys in bag, easy to carry on Jonboat and is light. First time he used it, we were on a creek and had about a 1/2 mile to paddle to our spot. He said it was like paddling a brick, it doesn't track at all. he had to work hard to keep it straight and moving forward. That being said it will be a good lil boat to put in a beaver pond or smallish area after motoring to a transition point. We used it last weekend for a 1.2 mile paddle downstream, (tough paddle back upstream to boat ramp), then pulled it over a beaver dam, to a good size mini pond. Great for placing and retrieving decoys, easy to hide.
    If you go regular Kayak, I would get one with an open cockpit design, or a hybrid. I purchased a Future Beach Trophy 10' from CraigsList, cheap, This would be a fine kayak for fishing, but hunting out of it with neoprene waders, gear, it was tight, a challenge to get in and out of. I have used it 2 seasons but am ready for an upgrade.
    Were looking at the Ascend H12 Sit-Inside Hybrid Kayak. Looks easier to get in and out of, can carry gear and a dog, also can get a blind kit for it. It is about $700 simoleons.
    Freelance Duck Hunting on Youtube has a pretty good review of the H12, they upgraded from their Layout boats.
    Speaking of anyone interested in buying a creek boat haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    Speaking of anyone interested in buying a creek boat haha

Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    Which one?
    M80

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    I've got two Chapmans, and a Campagna pirogue as well as an Aquapod, a Hobie Outback, and a Hobie Pro Angler. I'm moving back to Moncks Corner this summer and you're welcome to try any of them out once I get there. My vote is for the pirogue though!
    I might have to take you up on that for the Chapmans. I know Hobies are really nice but they are definitely going to be out of my price range. Even the kayaks I mentioned I would likely be looking for a used one or just a cheaper kayak all together. But I would be very interested in trying the pirogue after youre moved in and all.

Quote Originally Posted by GobblerHntr View Post
    I was WRONG! about Derick and the Hellbender Boats!

So here's the real scoop......

The fella that owns Duckbill Boats out of Florida bought a boat or traded Derick for one of his boats. He then pulled a douche bag move and copied the design and started building and selling Boats under Duckbill

That being said I would recommend working with Derick at Hellbender as he is still very much OPEN FOR BUSINESS!
    Well that's shitty. In that case if I end up more interested in that style of boat then I will go with Hellbender.

Quote Originally Posted by scswamprat View Post
    Any thought to building something that will fit your needs? Something like you are looking for wouldn't be hard....even for someone with no experience.
    I've thought about it, but not sure I'd have the time. I'm currently a graduate research/teaching assistant and will likely be up here at VT for the majority of the summer and will likely only make it back some weekends here and there and maybe a couple weeks over the summer. Still not sure what my schedule will be like. And I'd want it by the start of next duck season so with the time commitment involved I might just be looking to buy something.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    I know where a gently used M10 with seat and motor is located if you are interested.
    Tried to PM for more info but your box is full.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    M80

PM'd.

Inbox cleared
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.