Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something to paddle

Default Something to paddle

So after finding a few new places this season I would like to find some type of small watercraft to make it easier getting in to these places and hunt out of (pushed up in the grass for example). I prefer something that's not super long but still has some stability. I used to own a Wilderness Systems Ride 135 which was awesome but I sold it years ago. I currently have a 16' boat and would prefer something shorter and lighter than the Ride to make it easier to throw in and out. I know a lot of people got pirogues a year or so ago but I haven't seen a whole lot about them recently. Makes me wonder if people aren't loving them like they expected to. Plus, if they're as unstable as people say they are, I don't think it'd be a good option for getting in to from the boat while floating. I don't need anything to paddle long distance with, but the more maneuverability the better. So far I've looked at a lot of different boats such as the NuCanoe, Native Ultimate, Ride 115, Duckbill boats, Hellbender boats, pirogues, and the Creek Boats M98. Obviously these range in style and some are very different than others. I've recently liked the idea of the M98 as it looks stable and is not very expensive compared to the kayak route. I am a fan of the price point of the Ron Chapman pirogue and the Creek Boat along with the bare bones style and light weight qualities of each. Are there any other suggestions out there?

If you aren't sure about a pirogue ( which is a learned craft to operate) look into a Marsh Rat Magnum . very stable, low profile craft.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

nucanoe Classic, 10ft or spend more and get a Frontier with the cover up blind kit

Lookat one of the bass pro kayaks, they are supposedly as stable as the ride and they have a layout style blind for it.

I hunted with Derek, who makes the Hellbender boats, and we used his boats exclusively on the hunt. They are very nice, lightweight boats that track well, and are a breeze to handle in and out the water.

Just to clarify, are you planning to hunt out of it, or just use it for transportation to and from where you're hunting?

I've got an M98 and M80 you are welcome to test drive if you'd like.
    Last edited by DuvnDux; 01-29-2018 at 09:47 PM.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Moonlight - depends on the situation but if it was stable enough I would. Mainly see it being used to get away from the boat and slide up into the grass. Hope that answers your question

DuvnDux - that would be awesome. I see your location and I've got family in Irmo that I visit somewhat often. I'd appreciate an opportunity to try them out some time. I can reach out when I have an idea of the next time I'll be out that way

Not sure where you’re located but I’ve also got an M98 you’re welcome to test out if you want. Also have a 12ft Poke Boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    I hunted with Derek, who makes the Hellbender boats, and we used his boats exclusively on the hunt. They are very nice, lightweight boats that track well, and are a breeze to handle in and out the water.
    That's good to hear. Would you say it's possible to get in to one from another boat? Stability wise

Ive got a chapman, a poke boat and a marsh rat. Poke boat is awesome but spendy. Paddles great and is stable. Marsh rat is super stable but doesnt paddle that well in current, does fine in flat water. Pirogue to me is in between. only gripe i have with my chapmans are the bench/seat/floataion is too close together for me to sit on one and brace feet on the other. I have to paddle it on my knees until i find a seat option that is comfy. I also had a native ultimate 12. It was best kayak ive ever been in. Welcome to try any of mine as well.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Thanks all I appreciate the input and especially the offers to try them out. Im located in Summerville but at school in Virginia currently.

Club- didn't see your post earlier but I have family in Irmo that I frequent. Next time I'll be down that way I'll try to reach out in advance and see if you've got some time for that. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Pirogue to me is in between. only gripe i have with my chapmans are the bench/seat/floataion is too close together for me to sit on one and brace feet on the other.
    Too close? How tall are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

I have the Nucanoe Frontier 12. It isn’t great for two people; isn’t great for one guy paddling, and you have to be careful using a heavy battery and a trolling motor. But..it can do a little bit of everything and holds up to abuse. Overall I really like it for its flexibility.
    Last edited by Ghetto; 01-29-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    That's good to hear. Would you say it's possible to get in to one from another boat? Stability wise
    Never had that option, but I would have been comfortable to attempt to stand up and paddle in it. I’m no little guy either. I would think you could transfer from one boat to this one. Just take your time and hold on.

Ive got a chapman, a poke boat and a marsh rat. Poke boat is awesome but spendy. Paddles great and is stable. Marsh rat is super stable but doesnt paddle that well in current, does fine in flat water. Pirogue to me is in between. only gripe i have with my chapmans are the bench/seat/floataion is too close together for me to sit on one and brace feet on the other. I have to paddle it on my knees until i find a seat option that is comfy. I also had a native ultimate 12. It was best kayak ive ever been in. Welcome to try any of mine as well.
    Have you tried a gobbler lounger that Cabela's makes?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Have you tried a gobbler lounger that Cabela's makes?
    I have not. Ill have to check one out.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I have not. Ill have to check one out.
    I have one you can try if you want to. Can even send it with mad River.

I have a Chapman and am happy with it. It’s the 14’, and I can put two sacks of decoys and another guy in it and paddle fine. If you push it up in the grass it is stable enough to stand up and shoot from.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    Yes

Fwiw I don't believe Derick is making these boats anymore and sold the business to another fella down in Florida and they are being called Duckbill Boats
    You've got one life. Blaze on!