Thread: Leeds and Indian river ranges

Default Leeds and Indian river ranges

I needed to check both my .22s for a squirrel hunt this coming Saturday. For REASONS I was unable to do it on the property I hunt on. Which is ok, the land owner is very generous. I don’t want to upset the sweet deal I have going. So I’m off to Leeds. It’s packed with nc plates (Charlotte city slickers per usual) so I step on the gas and head some stragglers off. I head to Indian River. Everyone at Indian river is super polite, guy even gives up a spare table. I offer the guy who pulled in after me he could shoot of the right side of the bench I was on. I was feeling the love. Older gentleman was letting people ride the lightning of his 500 magnum. Days going great both guns sighted in no issues. I figured I’d stretch my targets out to 100 yards just to see. Most of the people have dispersed by this point and a van pulls in. three maybe eighteen year old boys step out, one of which had green hair. I can tell there visibly nervous probably first time at the range so I’m paying attention now. They pull a box fresh 870 out of the van. now I’m really paying attention. They get the gun together with no issues. I’m feeling a bit more relaxed now. I’ve stepped back from the bench at this point. The first guy takes three shots in the berm,no problem. They were asked several times if they needed a cease fire to put out targets, to which the response was no. Two of three shooters down all is well. Then mr green hair steps up and takes two shots straight to my birch wood Casey targets at 50 yards completely destroying my groups I worked on half the morning. I call cease fire and sarcastically tell the group thanks for shooting my targets boys. No anger but I pack my things and leave. My question should I have educated them or just brushed it off. It’s a public range and I like seeing the younger generation getting involved in the outdoors. so I didn’t want their first experience to be bad. Would you have done anything different, or should I have done anything different?

You missed an opportunity for a teachable moment.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Yea, I kind of felt bad about it. it’s easier to say there not my kids. they obviously needed a role model and supervision.