Thread: "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition"

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition"

There's a time to pray and a time to fight. The chaplain figured out how to do both at the same time.

Who knew this story? I've heard the phrase all my life but I had no idea it started at Pearl Harbor when a chaplain ("sky pilot") laid down his Bible and manned a gun on the USS New Orleans.

Here's the story and below is the song about it:

Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" is an American patriotic song by Frank Loesser, and published as sheet music in 1942 by Famous Music Corp. The song was a response to the attack on Pearl Harbor that marked United States involvement in World War II.

The song describes a chaplain ("sky pilot") being with some fighting men who are under attack from an enemy. He is asked to say a prayer for the men who were engaged in firing at the oncoming planes. The chaplain puts down his Bible, mans one of the ship's gun turrets and begins firing back, saying, "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition".

Origin

According to writer Jack S. McDowell, the famous phrase is generally credited to "a chaplain," said to be manning the guns of a ship under attack. "This [sic] was not true," says McDowell. For some time, long after Pearl Harbor, stories and reports surfaced about an incident involving this apocryphal "sky pilot", who was said to have uttered the words "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition".

The stories eventually made their way through the servicemen and back to the press. This, as McDowell noted, led some writers to erroneously identify other chaplains as author of the phrase. Nonetheless, the real chaplain, Lt. j.g. Howell M. Forgy, was aboard the USS New Orleans during the Japanese attack.

Lieutenant Edwin F. Woodhead, who was the officer in charge of an ammunition line on the USS New Orleans later recounted that during the attack, "I heard a voice behind me saying, 'Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.' I turned and saw Chaplain Forgy walking toward me, along the line of men. He was patting them on the back and making that remark to cheer and keep them going. I know it helped me a lot, too."

Another lieutenant said that thereafter, when the men heard the song, they would kid Chaplain Forgy about the role he played, encouraging him to set the record straight about who actually said what. According to the same officer the chaplain would decline, modestly claiming he felt, "... the episode should remain a legend, rather than be associated with any particular person." Author McDowell noted that reporters eventually were permitted to interview the men of the USS New Orleans involved in the "ammunition" story. Chaplain Forgy's superior officers set up a meeting with members of the press and at last, the real story of the song and the man who had inspired it was confirmed. The chaplain never admitted it.

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I always have liked that song, puts the liberals in a tailspin.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by SC REBEL View Post
    I always have liked that song, puts the liberals in a tailspin.
    I didn't know there was a song until I read this. But the lyrics tell the whole story.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition
    And we'll all stay free

Praise the Lord and swing into position
    Can't afford to be a politician
    Praise the Lord, we're all between perdition
    And the deep blue sea

Yes the sky pilot said it
    Ya gotta give him credit
    For a son of a gun of a gunner was he

Shouting Praise the Lord, we're on a mighty mission
    All aboard, we ain't a-goin' fishin'
    And we'll all stay free

Praise the Lord (Praise the Lord) and pass the ammunition
    And we'll all stay free

And we'll all stay free
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."